Intel 520 Series SSD to Utilize SandForce Controller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Energy96[/nom]The issues sandforce controllers were experiencing in the last quarter were all resolved through firmware updates. There remains to be a few compatibility issues specifically with some OCZ drives but most of these have been fixed with motherboard BIOS updates.People still stuck on the "sandforce is unreliable" bandwagon need to keep up with current events. Sandforce controllers are currently every bit as reliable as any other controller but offer higher performance than most others.I've had a 240gb Mushin Chronos Deluxe (sandforce) for almost 3 months and I have had zero issues at all with it and it see's fairly heavy use.[/citation]

if a car company made cars that exploded, for no particular reason, but they were really fast cars when they work, than they "fix" the exploding part, would you be quick to jump on owning that car? i don't know if they are or aren't, but the past isnt easily forgotten

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]megasamsung[/nom]Tomorrow RIM launches it's first Android phone[/citation]

Indeed. I feel your pain bro. What the hell is this world coming to?

Now don't get me wrong, I own 3 SF-based SSDs and 3 Intels as well. The Intels power my Windows-based server and notebooks, due to reliability and power consumption advantages. In turn, the SF drives power my gaming and multimedia PCs. See a pattern?

In other news:
Intel Ultrabooks to start employing Fusion chipsets Q1 2012...

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

If we all thought that way about any electronic, or in particular computer related technology, we would all still be using products from the 1970's. Nearly every technology has had issues at one point or another, especially when it is something "cutting edge". Refusing to adopt something newer and faster even after it's issue was totally rectified is stupid.

There was never anything physically wrong with the sandforce hardware itself, it was all firmware related compatibility issues. Should it have been taken care of with more through testing in the lab before release to the public? Possibly, but there is only so much you can test in a lab, to get broad spectrum you have to just release it. Think about how MMO's and any game for that matter today is, they have beta tests that get 99% of the issues fixed, but its not until the broad spectrum release to the public that the remaining issues get found.

The sandforce issue was also overblown, I'm not suggesting lots of people didn't have issues with them in the beginning, but the fact is more than 99% of people never had any issues at all with them. On a global scale it takes an extremely small percentage or people with issues to look like a huge amount of people on forums and tech support sites having trouble.

Out of 13 people I know personally running sandforce controlled SSD's not one of them ever had an issue with it, myself included.

Ironically, this reminds me of the somewhat recent issue Toyota had with accelerators supposedly sticking. This issue was reported by only a handful of people and nearly all in the end were found to be human error. None the less in the media it looked like Toyota's all had some serious flaw and people all believed it to the point that sales of Toyota's cratered. The smart people were the ones that went out and got a brand new Toyota for an awesome low price.

Sandforce did have an actually compatibility issue with their firmware, but it affected a very small amount of people in the grand scheme of things and it was fixed pretty quickly.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Energy96[/nom]If we all thought that way about any electronic, or in particular computer related technology, we would all still be using products from the 1970's. Nearly every technology has had issues at one point or another, especially when it is something "cutting edge". Refusing to adopt something newer and faster even after it's issue was totally rectified is stupid.There was never anything physically wrong with the sandforce hardware itself, it was all firmware related compatibility issues. Should it have been taken care of with more through testing in the lab before release to the public? Possibly, but there is only so much you can test in a lab, to get broad spectrum you have to just release it. Think about how MMO's and any game for that matter today is, they have beta tests that get 99% of the issues fixed, but its not until the broad spectrum release to the public that the remaining issues get found.The sandforce issue was also overblown, I'm not suggesting lots of people didn't have issues with them in the beginning, but the fact is more than 99% of people never had any issues at all with them. On a global scale it takes an extremely small percentage or people with issues to look like a huge amount of people on forums and tech support sites having trouble. Out of 13 people I know personally running sandforce controlled SSD's not one of them ever had an issue with it, myself included.Ironically, this reminds me of the somewhat recent issue Toyota had with accelerators supposedly sticking. This issue was reported by only a handful of people and nearly all in the end were found to be human error. None the less in the media it looked like Toyota's all had some serious flaw and people all believed it to the point that sales of Toyota's cratered. The smart people were the ones that went out and got a brand new Toyota for an awesome low price. Sandforce did have an actually compatibility issue with their firmware, but it affected a very small amount of people in the grand scheme of things and it was fixed pretty quickly.[/citation]

lets go back to that car analogy,

o they fixed the exploding part...
month later
well we thought they fixed it.

storage is the one thing i wont take unnecessary risks on. i do not like losing information and i despise the rma process.

correct me if im wrong, but firmware = hardware correct?

with an mmo i can accept bugs in the system, as they arent things that can cripple my computer, only things that can cripple my game play. that said, there are only 2 kinds of games where i accept bugs, open world games, and mmo, other than that i see bugs as lazy programming, and a general laziness that this generation of consoles ushered in when it comes to programming. you use to only see these kinds of bugs on pc games, but now even console games release with crap tons of bugs, at least more than they ever should have.

that 13 is 1:13 that comes to about 7.7% and than dealing with the firmware itself, never want to do that, just because of all the failed software updates i have had, my luck is that the firmware screws up the update and everything goes to hell fast.

the toyotas were shown exactly how to make the accelerator stick, just immagin a busy intersection, you cant stop for a stop light and everyone else is going 30, it wont end well.

at the very least i cant see a reason to trust a sandforce controller for quite a while.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

Wrong.

Enjoy your second rate slower SSD's!

You remind me of the AMD fanboi's around here who still won't switch to Intel CPU's (even though they are vastly superior currently and for the foreseeable future) because the P4's were so awful.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Maybe you should stop flaming Windows 7 like you normally do in the comments and learn some useful stuff instead. Sorry, but for a hardware forum regular as long-term as you are it's not acceptable to not know the difference between the two. For example, the motherboard is hardware; however, the motherboards' BIOS is firmware. Firmware can be updated to add extra functionality on existing hardware or solve existing issues - for example, updating the BIOS in Intel DH67BL mainboard adds advanced fan control that isn't there by default (at least not for the boards' older stock sold here).

Seriously, dude, that was fail :D

Oh yeah, one last thing - SSDs aren't made for storage (unless you're very rich and can afford all those pro-grade 512GB SSDs).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Maybe you should stop flaming Windows 7 like you normally do in the comments and learn some useful stuff instead. Sorry, but for a hardware forum regular as long-term as you are it's not acceptable to not know the difference between the two. For example, the motherboard is hardware; however, the motherboards' BIOS is firmware. Firmware can be updated to add extra functionality on existing hardware or solve existing issues - for example, updating the BIOS in Intel DH67BL mainboard adds advanced fan control that isn't there by default (at least not for the boards' older stock sold here).Seriously, dude, that was fail Oh yeah, one last thing - SSDs aren't made for storage (unless you're very rich and can afford all those pro-grade 512GB SSDs).[/citation]
[citation][nom]Energy96[/nom]Wrong.Enjoy your second rate slower SSD's!You remind me of the AMD fanboi's around here who still won't switch to Intel CPU's (even though they are vastly superior currently and for the foreseeable future) because the P4's were so awful.[/citation]

software that drives the hardware, forgive me for considering firmware part of the hardware.

i had a p4, but that isnt a reason i would chose amd over intel.

and when i say storage i mean storage of anything, even if its just boot, because without the boot, you lose your main os, i have others, disc based and flash based, but none really run the programs that i want.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]df6yjfgdghjmko[/nom]Oh yeah, one last thing - SSDs aren't made for storage (unless you're very rich and can afford all those pro-grade 512GB SSDs).[/citation]

i have my use for ssd as a storage device, but i need 160gb+ minimum, 240gb to future proof it a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.