Intel 600p 1TB NVMe SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Intel's most attractive 600p proved to be the most elusive. The 1TB model wasn't available during the launch but has been shipping for four months. This model offers the highest performance and endurance while keeping a reasonable price point.

Intel 600p 1TB NVMe SSD Review : Read more

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I'll consider one....it looks like a notch up from my 500GB m.2 EVO in my laptop, so could slot in nicely for a desktop build. I'm still enamored by SSD speeds so even if it's just "a little" faster than SSDs but same price point that's a win in my book.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I wonder where the price of the 600p would fall if there wasn't a global NAND shortage. $350+ is hard to swallow. I saw the 1TB 600p for $289 shortly after the 1TB version became became available last fall. I even purchased a 500GB 600p from Newegg for $129 around the same time. At least that's SATA-like pricing for SATA-like peformance.

eglass

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The NAND shortage blows. The performance of this should really put this closer to the $300 price point.

That green PCB has got to go too. Would look like trash on my black board with blue sinks.

ashburner

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Same here. I've had my 1TB 600p for months and I love it. Seems fast. I also have a pair of 1TB EVO 850's in RAID 0 in the same PC and I can't tell any difference in the speed.

Co BIY

Splendid
Question for the reviewers.

Will I be able to notice a difference in storage performance between NVMe and SATA SSDs during normal work tasks or while gaming ?

Would I notice a difference in performance between the low end SATA SSDs and the high end SATA SSDs ?

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Cheap but pathetic performance, yet this drive gets an award? Please...
Samsung and AMD lately has Intel by the balls, yet it just seems so desperate and deliberate that THG tries its utter best to prove that this company is still all jolly good and honkedory, even though intel has been dragging its feet for a while now.
I take this review with a pinch of salt.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
It's the second lowest award possible!

Here is what you missed. It's faster than a Samsung 850 Pro and SanDisk Extreme PRO (1TB class) in consumer-focused workloads and costs less.

I don't deliver grains of salt. I'll tie ya down to a chair and pour the big water softener pellets in until you get it :)

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Dig your sarcasm :) Look, lets be honest here. Where's THG's consistency? Ryzen came out. Turned out to be a well received and important product world wide, scooping up awards left and right - especially in terms of value, just like you've pointed out with this article. But wait, lets scroll to the bottom of the conclusion pages and..... whats this? No reward to the Ryzen reviews? Not even for its value? Hmmmm. Why does the word 'bias' suddenly pop up in my head? I wonder...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

The answer is hard to say.
the 600p is a piece of steaming crap, I was going to get one for my new build, till I was directed to look into a crucial MX300, and shock of all shocks, the crucial is better in many aspects preformance wise.

I would love some normal sata ssds in reviews like this, because honestly, there is a limit to how much speed impacts performance, somewhere around 400-500mb, outside of unicorn applications/games or workloads built for fast read/write, there is very little difference between even good nvme drives and sata drives. I just wish there were more sources to find out what is the best for my purpose. at some point in the future, I will likely get a nvme drive, its hard to ignore them when I regularly use an application that would benefit from it, but not for 350$ a tb for one thats worse than sata, and not 400+ for one that is only one tb

Maybe when you posted that link, but it's $479 today. Holy fluctuation, Batman!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

500 now

Arjuna79

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
No fumbling with SATA cables.
No messing with another molex to SATA connector to power this thing.
No suffering to activate AHCI drivers, no messing with Registry hacks either.

I'm sold on this little guy.

I'm coming from a long overdue upgrade, where I'm dealing with 90 MB/s spinning rust hard drives... so this thing is infinitely faster than whatever I had. Native TLC NAND speeds or not.

After being strapped for cash buying a Kaby Lake rig, that NVMe socket will be empty for a while, unless you plop one of these in and take advantage of it as a boot drive... why not?

In fact, I still have a 60GB corsair Force 3 SSD... that may not even be slower than this thing, but it only barely fits Windows itself in it, let alone any game (hello GTA, WoW...)

This drive makes perfect sense, not taking physical space, having a decent capacity, and not being the fastest thing in town, trading speed for price.

JacFlasche

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Only 1TB NVMe on the market for less than $400? I was at Frys a month ago and they were selling Samsung 960 PRO 1TB NVMe with a ten year warranty for $300.
Guess that blows your price theory all to heck.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
They weren't selling a 960 Pro 1TB at Fry's a month ago for $300 with a 10-year warranty. That was an 850 Pro and that drive now costs $479. The flash shortage is in full swing now so SSD prices are up. TrendForce just released a document that says they're tracking a 36% price increase across the board. Prices will continue to rise until at least Q1 2018. Expect crazy prices later this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.