Intel 600p Series SSD Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarson

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
I think you guys should update the table on the final page and the verdict as the endurance ratings have been drastically changed, those numbers are no longer correct.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
With all the updates this review will probably confuse people unless at least the summary is updated. The 1TB model has 576TBW and a 5-year warranty, which is better than the 960 EVO in both aspects (400TBW/3-year). I've had very good luck with my Intel SSDs over the years from a reliability standpoint, and when you run into problems reliability means a lot more than any theoretical performance advantage.
Real-world, these are going to satisfy even power users like myself. Considering M.2 drives overheat easily (something conspicuously not being tested by anyone), this is the perfect M.2 NVME drive.
The next reasonable step up is the big daddy, Intel 750. The 750 is the king of what counts: random writes (at low queue depths) and no throttling thanks to its massive heatsink. Even the 960 Pro can't match it.
The 600P isn't perfect, but it's pretty close for 90% of us. The 10% doing heavy video editing and rendering work for their day job should build a workstation with the Intel 750. Throttling, like poor reliability, short-circuits all other advantages. No good reason to get too spendy on the M.2 form factor, Intel nailed this IMO.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I'm working on an update but I have 18% life left. I don't want to make two or three more updates to the article until I have everything ready. A portion of the update will detail what happens when the drive reaches 0%. We will be able to say if the drive locks and doesn't give us out day, like some previous Intel SSDs. The other update details performance with LDPC soft ECC.

As for M.2 overheating. The only people claim this is a widespread problem are forum guys. Many hardware reviewers test for the condition. We test for the condition but only report on it when we find a problem.

With only 18% left I'll be able to write an update in roughly 9 days.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
There's other results out there on M.2 throttling.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Throttling-Analysis-776/ results with 40-60% depending on conditions and time spent at full load. That said, anyone loading down their storage for 30+ seconds with any frequency at all should really be investing in the Intel 750 line. It's the best SSD and for someone crunching videos or rendering frequently or all day, it's a no brainer to use it.
M.2 though I'd be concerned if that was my usage pattern. That's why I'm a big fan of the 600P, we're reaching the point of diminishing returns and it fits the market accurately. 3D TLC and not too expensive which is ideal because heat kills these things anyway. I wouldn't advise anyone to jump on highend M.2 like the 960 Pro M.2, but I guess Samsung needs money too.

EVO and 600P are where it's at. I personally think the ~40GB SLC buffer in the 600P 1TB fits my needs well enough. I'll take Intel's track record and 5-year warranty and 576TBW over the 3-year and 400TBW that Samsung offers. It's just not worth it IMO. It's also a little cheaper.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the drive won't lockup immediately at 0% but will go into read-only mode not long after. Depends how accurate their MWI is, but it'll go as long as it can. Which is good to go into read-only mode, you don't want your data destroyed. All you do is attach a USB HDD or flash drive to your machine and boot off that to pull your data off. But I want my drives to go into read-only mode for sure.
Otherwise Intel wouldn't have been able to update the TBW on the fly, it wasn't hardcoded, it was a limit set for the warranty department.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I just snagged a new 400 GB DC P3500 for $225, recently. This is the data center equivalent of the 750. I paid close attention to how it actually compares to the Samsung 960 Pro, and it only comes out ahead in a few cases (random writes and high-QD random reads - neither of which I care about).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-pro-ssd-review,4774-2.html

That said, for being 18 months old, it actually held up pretty well. I'm pleased with my purchase, not least of all because the DC version has end-to-end data protection, lacking from the 750 series (and 960 Pro, as far as I can tell), as well as 70% higher endurance. Plus, I have plenty of PCIe 3.0 lanes in my system (40x) and no M.2 slots.

Downsides are that it idles at 4 W, which is well into HDD territory, and requires more cooling than I'm giving it (they say 100 LFPM), but I might be okay as I don't stress it much.

Oddly, it ships in 512 byte sector mode. I had to install Intel's commandline tools and reformat it, to enable 4k sectors. Then, Linux' parted didn't even recognize it, so I had to make a partition table on Win 7. After that, parted could see & modify the partition table and then I was able to dd my partitions back from another drive. Maybe the entire exercise was pointless, since my filesystems use 4k sectors, but I'm hoping it gives slightly better performance / lower power.

Nope. I'd never buy either, simply because they lack end-to-end data protection. The only consumer SSDs I've bought (in the past 3 years, anyway) are Crucial MX-series and Intel 500-series, for this very reason.

http://ark.intel.com/search/searchsolidstatedrives?s=t&FamilyText=Consumer%20SSDs&EndToEndDataProtection=true

It seems the 6000P (not 600P) has this feature:

http://ark.intel.com/search/searchsolidstatedrives?s=t&FamilyText=Professional%20SSDs&EndToEndDataProtection=true

And that's the only difference between the two:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/94921,94908

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Kinny - Some of the things you are saying are valid but others are way off base. I will update the article when I have the data. You are obviously a fan of Intel SSDs. That's cool, I am too. That said, my job makes it so I have to be critical and look at these products as a neutral party. The 600p is overshadowed by the MyDigitalSSD BPX. Please see our review here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mydigitalssd-bpx-nvme-ssd,4780.html

The 600p 1TB and EVO are not "where it's at". You don't have either drive and neither do I. When they become available we will see where they are at and how they relate to the rest of the market.

Bit-User - That was a really good find. I always wanted to test a DC P3500 in any capacity. I have an article in the works that looks at enterprise and OEM SSDs like the Samsung PM863a 3.84TB (some selling as low as $600 online and with host power fail capacitors), and a few other drives. If you download the Intel Datacenter Tool you can change the LBA range to get more capacity, update the firmware and even adjust the amount of power it uses. I have a DC P3700 1.6TB in my gaming rig on the middle power setting. I have a Noctua 120mm fan blowing through the heatsink (AIC card). It works really well.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I wrote a long post earlier and then closed the window on accident. Let me address some of the comments.

First let's look at what happens when the MWI reaches 1% (because it is not supposed to ever reach 0%). The Tech Report ran an Intel drive down to 1% and Intel confirmed what the drive locking the user out, not a read only mode, was normal. Please see the article here:

http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

I'll post about thermal throttling later tonight. The kids are back and I have to stop everyone from getting a candy overload.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001

You're speaking for yourself only and in a small minority. Not everyone wants or needs end to end data protection. 960 EVO or 600P sales are going to completely crush sales of the 6000P series to consumers.

While the reviews are glowing for each generation of SSD, random read/right performance at low queue depths hasn't increased much over time. That's what you should care about, it's going to be your bottleneck and where that 750 equivalent currently dominates. It's also in the lead on consistency, it simply won't throttle like the M.2 drives.
Worst case is a better judge than best case, and almost all these reviews are covering the glowing best-case situations instead, for the most part. Example being praising a drive for insanely improved performance at queue depths that most users will never reach.

For consumers they are and will be. 3D TLC is taking over and that trend is only going to continue. That's what I meant. It's going to be an unstoppable train.

Yes, I'm an Intel SSD fan, I had their X25-M drives among others running nonstop for over half a decade now. I have a reality based bias. They have the lowest return rate in the industry. I'm not against Samsung either. Though I admittedly would prefer for my own use, 1) Intel 2) Crucial/Micron 3) SS. Depending on factors.

You're right, I don't have a 600P 1TB but they have already hit the market. I already paid my $360US for it and it's in the mail. It will be here this week. I was going to skip it in favor of the 960 EVO, which is going to be all around faster. I'm first to admit, the 960 EVO (among others) are better drives than the new Intel 600P lineup, that's ok with me- I'm fully aware of that fact. But after the TBW update to 576TBW being that Intel is backing it my main concerns are gone. I get an Intel written firmware and supported product with 5-year warranty. I'll never hit that 576TBW. And at that price? No brainer, that shuts up any complaints from me (or anyone else that's being sensible). It's imperfect but I'm not after a perfect drive, just a decently updated NVME M.2 drive that isn't overkill and isn't yesteryear's product.

If I were a Youtuber like Linus from LTT, I'd be exclusively running Intel 750s producing my videos. And they probably are, the 750 is the king afterall. For everyone else, it's nice there's stuff like the 960 Pro (I was always a MLC guy) but 3D TLC drives like the 960 EVO and 600P are just going to continue pushing the MLC stuff out of the consumer market because they're good enough especially for heat sensitive M.2 sticks that crumble under (admittedly severe) pressure anyway.

On that MyDigitalSSD product, I had "fun times" with OCZ SSDs many years ago. I wouldn't touch something that wasn't well QA'd by Intel or Crucial, no matter price/performance. I think that perspective comes with enough experience. SS is ok but I think they're a step down according to their track record.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The specs are so similar to the 750 that I assume they perform almost identically. Though, it's possible they tweaked the DC's firmware in some ways better suited to DC usage. They even share the same product documentation and packaging.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/86742,82846

Interestingly, the DC P3500 weighs 60 grams more. The heatsinks do look different.

I used the isdct tool to update the firmware and reformat it to 4k sectors. I didn't see a way to change the overprovisioning, but I'd have opted for more write endurance rather than a bit more capacity. 219 TBW is probably enough, but I wouldn't mind a bit more cushion.

Nice. You know, there's a yellow LED on the back (in addition to an amber one... *sigh*) that indicates when it's overheating (among other things). The biggest stress I've placed on it was the few times I copied filesystem images onto it. Those didn't illuminate the yellow, so I'm not too worried. At least, not until next summer.

BTW, did you find the full-height bracket? If you look closely, it's in the box!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know. I also use only ECC RAM, good PSUs, good UPS's, and don't overclock anything. Guess what? All my systems have always been rock solid, except for one motherboard that died on me.

I will pay a little more and sacrifice a bit of performance for reliability. I think the main reason others don't is ignorance. They haven't experienced the horrors of filesystem corruption and don't know what factors can lead to system instability, so they take blind risks.

On that point, Chris made this nice chart, in his review of the 960 Pro (to which I linked, earlier):
r_600x450.png
If it doesn't post correctly, just click the "Next" arrow on the set of slides under Random Read Performance. It shows random read throughput at QD 1, 2, 4, and 8, resulting in a clean sweep for all Samsung drives over the rest. You're correct in that this is what most people should look at, rather than the peak number that's usually measured at like QD 64 (unless you're running a big database on it, that is).

That's what first turned me onto Crucial. They had the lowest percentage of negative reviews, at the time. Then, I learned about the end-to-end protection in their MX-series. I have 9 Crucial drives, so far, distributed among 5 PCs and a PS3. I'm about to replace the C300 and M500 with MX100's. I have 3 MX200's in a RAID-5.

I also bought an Intel 525 and 535, based on the data protection feature and reputation. With my new NVMe drive, this makes 3. None of the Intel drives were ever the fastest or cheapest, at the time. Like I said, I'm willing to pay for reliability. True, the 535 really did fall pretty far behind its peers, but I got a good deal on it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Up-voted for candy.

Family first. Especially when the alternative is just a couple SSD geeks. We can banter on without you.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I actually think we're much alike. I'm not as concerned about reliability as you, I do want to reduce probability of headaches. Which is why I buy Intel and Crucial products, they've done that for me over the decades. My first desktop was purchased in 1986. Other companies put out good products too, I'm just not going to launch into a rant about which those are and aren't. I'd just say companies that can afford extensive QA, tend to have better luck.

On the 750 results, you're looking at the wrong spot.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10754/samsung-960-pro-ssd-review/7
Random writes, nothing is even close to the 750. Random reads, everything is ballpark. Yes, Samsung has a decent product on their hands too. I have no problem with it, but it's not the best.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's all about priorities. For me, the reliability features made the DC P3500 a no-brainer. As far as I can tell, 960 Pro doesn't have end-to-end data protection. I'd probably have to delve into their enterprise/datacenter range, for that.

Now, getting back to priorities, random write performance is almost irrelevant to me (as I said in an earlier post). My box has plenty of RAM and the OS is quite good at buffering writes. So, unless you're running a big, write-heavy database, you won't even feel the effects of its write superiority. I'd much prefer to have higher random read performance at low queue depths.

This doesn't make it a worse drive, just a worse drive for me. But, on balance, I still think it was my best option - not least because I was prepared neither to spend more nor wait longer.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001

So you're investing in all this datacenter hardware to ensure reliability, then relying on RAM caching to boost random writes? That doesn't make any sense, you should be disabling RAM cache if you're supposedly that concerned with reliability.
That's the point to the highend Intel drives, to have performance and reliability.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, my box is on a UPS and it's ECC RAM w/ patrol scrubbing enabled.

And the thing which scares me about memory errors (be it flash, HDDs, or live data held in RAM) is the potential for silent errors to corrupt my data. Could be years before you notice, and by then you might no longer have any backups of the pre-corrupted files. Whereas, if my OS crashes mid-write and manages to corrupt my file data or the actual filesystem, I obviously know about the crash and can always revert to a recent backup, if needed.

I don't worry about it so much at home, honestly. But I'd certainly never deploy a fileserver or NAS in an office environment, if it lacked ECC RAM. At home, the main thing I care about is stability and reliability.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001

So I've been using my 600P 1TB for about 2 weeks now and can report not only is it great but I've had zero problems with it. Good old Intel firmware & QA. Thoroughly tested and vetted for what counts.
Run it in my Skull Canyon NUC with 32GB of Crucial (Micron) Ballistix DDR4 powering 3 thin bezel Dell U2414Hs in DP daisychain. It's the knockout punch that Micron and Intel products almost always are with the capacity I needed. If you value big-buck QA departments and testing as part of what you're paying for. Everyone else can go buy something else.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm glad that's working well, for you. Not surprising, but anyway I think it's all about finding what best suits your needs.

We use some Broadwell NUCs at my job, and they're quite capable and the quality & refinement you'd expect from Intel. If they made a fanless Apollo Lake NUC, I'd gladly use it to replace the Raspberry Pi that's my current home media server. Since I doubt they will, I'll probably have to buy one of these: http://www.up-board.org/upsquared/

Status
Not open for further replies.