Intel 750 PCIe somehow used "beyond designated data writes"

sebbeviper

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi! Last month I started notice slow writes on my 3 year old Intel 750 PCIe SSD, and found out that my writes were all below 2MB/s whereas my reads where up in the 500s. I have used the drive as a third drive where I install my most played games, since I wanted faster loading.

I contacted Intel support since the warranty is 5 years on the drive, so I still have 2 years left on it.
After looking at my Intel SSD-toolbox details, they simply told me that since was "used beyond the designated data writes" the warranty is no longer valid. Even though the drive is stated to be able to handle 70GB data writes every day and I am not sure how I could even reach that amount of write per day outside of an enterprise setting.

I am really out of answers, and not sure how to proceed. I would really hate to just "throw out" a $350 drive after just 3 years.

I can provide my Intel SSD-toolbox SMART details if needed

In a 'testing SSDs to destruction' test a few years back, it was noted that some Intel SSD's simply 'quit working' after 'X' amount of writes....like you've discovered. I agree, it is quite bogus to tell someone 'you've written 100 TB, and although the drive still works,...buy a new one!"

My own SSD, a Samsung 960 EVO, only has 12 TBW (Terrabytes written) after about 19 months of what I consider average use, and, given a '3 years or 100 TBW' warranty, at this rate, obviously I will exhaust the time long before the amount of designated/warrantied write amount.

What was your allegedly exhorbitant amount of writes? (I'd consider 36 TB to be average use in 3 years, but, how much did you write, vs. their warranty?)

Compare the warranty terms vs what they looked at, no one can make Intel exchange the drive if they won't unless you take them to court over unfair warranty or something.