Intel 7th gen support windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 1, 2017
I am upgrading my system from an i5 2500k to an i5 7400.

Earlier i have been using windows 7 as my operating system. As on upgrading i still want to use Windows 7 as i am quiet happy with the operating system.

But i read a few articles saying the 7th gen Intel processors will only support Windows 10 on it.

So does Intel's latest generation still support Windows 7 on it?

Thank you guys in advance for your suggestions. :)

Solution
Unfortunately, the 7th generation Kaby Lake CPUs only support Windows 10. Although, the 6th gen CPUs are good and do support windows 7 so I would recomend going to a 6th gen CPU if keeping windows 7 is a necessity. I would go for an i5 6500.

Anyways, the best of luck.

bbillp

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Microsoft must share the liability about generation 7 support, a few days ago I purchased Windows 7 64 bit for my new Intel I-5 7600 tower build , it booted fine and loaded 185 MS Updates then from that point on I got messages about something was not supported, dang its the CPU, the MS CD is not labeled that it will not support the 7600 and non of the sales people mentioned anything about support only to the end as to whether I should bite the bullet and move to Win10 and uncertain compatibility or Win7 which I have 2 laptops running fine . So my argument is with Microsoft directly for not printing the proper warning or notice on the Windows 7 packaging. I sure would like my money back for lost time and for 150 bux plus sales tax. Truth in Advertising I would argue. Bill HB.

battlenet.alt

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
I upgraded to MSI B150 night elf w/i5 7400 and installed win 7.
Everything is running smooth but activation could be a problem as I used an existing laptop install disk from Alienware r11

I get some messages about incompatible CPU but nothing serious yet.

I tried win 10 at first but did not like it at all.

The UI is clunky, task manager is not user friendly, etc.

I'll stck with 7 until I have to change

Mar 4, 2018

I have this problem with an 8th gen setup and my Windows 7. I bypassed the problem by installing graphics cards and just disabling the onboard video controller in Device Manager. Works!

Atom Ant

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
This guide worked well for me, it also provides a modded IGP driver,