Intel Adds 10 New Ivy Bridge, 10 New Sandy Bridge CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"Only three processors saw price reductions, indicating the current dominance of Intel in the CPU market."

This is why we should all be hoping AMD has some success with piledriver. That is, unless you like paying more money just so you can feel smug about yourself.

roflmaonow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Sigh even though I have an i5-2500k my next system is going to be an AMD one, CPU prices need to have competition. I hate monopolies and this doesnt bode well.

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Well now I know why there are $2000 laptops.
On ther other hand, I checked to specs for the Ivy Bridge i3's and the 3225 is $134 with HD Graphics 4000 while the 3240 is at $138 with HD graphics 2500.
What did I just lost here?? .1 Ghz worth more than HD graphics 4000 WTF

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
So many variants. One supports virtualization, another trades that for overclocking, yet another trades that for low power consumption, and maybe another doesn't have integrated graphics. Intel's products are so ridiculously confusing especially when you get into all the variable stepping codes that their CPUs have. It's past time for them to stop creating all this segmentation. It's causing people like myself who just want to use these things all sorts of grief when it comes to motherboard, bios, and chip compatibility issues. I've built two Intel systems this year and had problems with the CPUs being incompatible due to motherboard and bios revisions. Enough is enough. I'm going back to AMD next time.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]So many variants. One supports virtualization, another trades that for overclocking, yet another trades that for low power consumption, and maybe another doesn't have integrated graphics. Intel's products are so ridiculously confusing especially when you get into all the variable stepping codes that their CPUs have. It's past time for them to stop creating all this segmentation. It's causing people like myself who just want to use these things all sorts of grief when it comes to motherboard, bios, and chip compatibility issues. I've built two Intel systems this year and had problems with the CPUs being incompatible due to motherboard and bios revisions. Enough is enough. I'm going back to AMD next time.[/citation]

But really 90% of the people here just inevitably buy the "k" processors because they think they might want to OC. So even though it may seem like there's a lot of variety, really there isn't (see diablo3 skills).

[citation][nom]raytseng[/nom]But really 90% of the people here just inevitably buy the "k" processors because they think they might want to OC. So even though it may seem like there's a lot of variety, really there isn't (see diablo3 skills).[/citation]
Most people here would purchase K CPUs for themselves, but I sell a lot more i3s to customers than I do i5s and i7s. For 90% of the market the i3 is the way to go, even for entry to mid-level game rigs they work very well.

Dang... I don't know who released that info, but it's full of errors. Please fix.

And according to CPU-world, the i3-3240T and i3-3220T are indeed 22nm Ivy Bridge parts as you suspected.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
What the hell are these marketing idiots doing with the numbering convention of the processors.

Someone bring back the god damn 486 SX / DX 80Mhz days where I knew what the hell I was buying without googling the god damn world wide web to figure out what I'm looking at. Rant rant rant

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]So many variants. One supports virtualization, another trades that for overclocking, yet another trades that for low power consumption, and maybe another doesn't have integrated graphics. Intel's products are so ridiculously confusing especially when you get into all the variable stepping codes that their CPUs have. It's past time for them to stop creating all this segmentation. It's causing people like myself who just want to use these things all sorts of grief when it comes to motherboard, bios, and chip compatibility issues. I've built two Intel systems this year and had problems with the CPUs being incompatible due to motherboard and bios revisions. Enough is enough. I'm going back to AMD next time.[/citation]
That's the OEM mobo maker's fault that they can't keep their bios's up to date....and you can believe me when I say they get sample CPUs way way before they're publicly released.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]That is Intelpoly for you.[/citation]

Yep, big sad face. Prepare to pay current LGA2011 prices for a LGA1155 CPUs this time next year. And if that is the case then I will buy the AMD CPU that is not as powerful, but save $400 :)

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]"Only three processors saw price reductions, indicating the current dominance of Intel in the CPU market."This is why we should all be hoping AMD has some success with piledriver. That is, unless you like paying more money just so you can feel smug about yourself.[/citation]i dont know a i7 entry level mobile processor allows people to have great fps on ultra in most games with a 670m.

why would i feel smug about paying extra money? i dont have to pay extra money for great performance. AMD cant even match intels low end i3s in the mobile market. I dont see anything wrong with their pricing schemes at the end of the day the intel processors take up less watts for anyone that is watching their powerbill. In the long run it saves you money, gives you great performance.

look ima former amd fan but intel isnt screwing everyone over with prices. 300 for a mobile cpu that really is a DeskTop replacement? Look@ reviews of the i5 desktops and on the mobile side any MSI/Clevo comp with a i7. then look@ what AMD is peddling nowadays.

The higher end cpus have amazing power for low power consumption and they stay cooler than normal. but theyre not nessasary. the lowest end i7 mobile is on par with a Great amd desktop.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]1100$ mobile CPU...like wtf?[/citation]

You must be new to the computer industry (or any technical market for that matter). The best available is expensive, basically never proportionally vs the models just below it. Only a totally oblivious retard to the world would be surprised by that.

Intel sells dozens and dozens of mobile CPU models all of them but one are at most 1/3rd the cost of the highest end model, but let us all focus on that one absurdly expensive model a bitch like women on the periods because it logically from a business standpoint costs a lot.

The reason CPU prices are stagnating has little to do with AMD not competing. The major problem is that the average CPU is so powerful now, that it well exceeds the performance necessary for the general public and there is no mainstream software out there that really needs the higher end CPU's.

Intel released SB at the beginning of 2011 at a stupid low price despite no competition from AMD which easily OC'd well over 4Ghz. Over a year and a half later, there is no reason to upgrade a system based on 2500k/2600k. Anyone shelling out big money to upgrade a system based on SB deserves to be ripped off since they are only upgrading to satisfy their ego and not because their software is going to run noticably faster.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]"Only three processors saw price reductions, indicating the current dominance of Intel in the CPU market."This is why we should all be hoping AMD has some success with piledriver. That is, unless you like paying more money just so you can feel smug about yourself.[/citation]
I'm just expecting them to cancel desktop FX. October is coming fast for the delayed Trinity launch, Haswell is not far away at all, and Steamroller is finished. I know Piledriver will easily improve on Bulldozer, but Steamroller will curb-stomp the pair of them. Is there any point releasing the x3xx CPUs if they're not a big improvement over their predecessors? I await the reviews with baited breath but you just know the reviews will sum it up as "more of the same, just less greedy".

Haswell is far more of a graphics update - AMD do actually have an avenue here if they can get Steamroller out before 2014. At the very least, compared to Piledriver, single threaded workloads will be significantly faster, and resourcing sharing issues will be largely improved, so they can finally banish the memory of struggling to beat Phenom II X6. It won't level the playing field in single threaded work but if all those cores can finally work, it could consistently out-muscle your standard 4C/8T i7. We all live in hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.