Intel Admits No Wrongdoing After FTC Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
It still doesn't change the fact that it was a slap on the wrist.. And the fact that they purposely slowed down AMD processors compared to their own only makes it worse.. Its the worst type of cheating since programmers and consumers rely on competition to keep the world going round.. I am wanting to use the new AMD magna cores for a VM system but there are still people in our IT department that go on the lines that Intel is better and always will be..

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
wow did'nt i read almost this exact line in a HP statement two articles ago?

""While Intel and the FTC have agreed to resolve that dispute, Intel is not admitting to any violation of the law nor does it agree with the allegations contained in the complaint," the company said in a statement."

**cough**GUILTY**cough**

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Give it a couple minutes, and Intel will find new ways to be anticompetitive.

Seriously, if Intel spent as much effort on improving their product as they do trying to screw over their competitors, there'd be no need to screw over AMD and Nvidia. They got lazy, resting on their crappy P3/P4 architecture, and thats why AMD beat them (architecturally) between 2003-2006. Not because they weren't giving manufacturers enough "incentives". How about the fact that their on-chip graphics suck? Maybe in Larrabee were more than just a pipe dream, they could compete with Nvidia chipsets. No, instead they just lock Nvidia out of the chipset market, rather than improve their own offering. And dropping PCI-E to force out all graphics competitors, wow, that's a whole new level of corporate douchiness I hadn't even contemplated. What happens after 2016? We get Intel Express Bus, with heavy licensing fees?

Oh, and crap, I blamed Marcus for this article by Tuan : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-cpu,7837.html. Sorry Marcus.

danhitchcock

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
hahah i love corporate drama. Nvidia competes with Ati, AMD competes with intel, nvidia hates intel, but nvidia can't be friends with AMD because AMD is ati....

i'm not saying intel is guilty or not guilty of bad business practice, but maybe AMD could actually do there part and maybe advertise. they need to get there name out there

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This may set bad precedence. Next up to bat, nVidia with its closed proprietary technology and .cg shader language that purposely makes competing hardware run bad while they bribe developers to use their technology.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I don't see how Intel cannot be accused of monopolistic behavior w.r.t. their Nehalem chipsets. Refusing to license other companies to create Nehalem-compatible chipsets is certainly no better than embedding your browser in your O/S.

Somehow, I'm not sure that Liebowitz understands the significance of that particular item.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hmm, I wonder how this may change the way technology companies do business with each other. Many of the incentives Intel is being fined for are common practices in the industry. Is Intel now going to blow the whistle and begin suing various tech companies throughout the United States?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]I don't see how Intel cannot be accused of monopolistic behavior w.r.t. their Nehalem chipsets. Refusing to license other companies to create Nehalem-compatible chipsets is certainly no better than embedding your browser in your O/S.Somehow, I'm not sure that Liebowitz understands the significance of that particular item.[/citation]

In that case...nVidia should be forced to ensure the same level of performance for PhysX regardless of the processor, whether it be an Intel processor, AMD processor, nVidia GPU or ATI GPU. nVidia purposely uses x87 instructions to prevent PhysX from performing at the same level on CPU's as it does on their GPU. If PhysX were properly coded using x86/SSE....Core i7 would have no trouble at all handling PhysX.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]danhitchcock[/nom]hahah i love corporate drama. Nvidia competes with Ati, AMD competes with intel, nvidia hates intel, but nvidia can't be friends with AMD because AMD is ati....i'm not saying intel is guilty or not guilty of bad business practice, but maybe AMD could actually do there part and maybe advertise. they need to get there name out there[/citation]
Hahaha, yeah, watching this is like a cheesy soap opera like Dynasty. Intel is Alexis, ATI is Krystal - what we really need is for IBM to wade in like Moldavian terrorists and machine gun the lot of them.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]...What does intel have to worry about...AMD has nothing that comes close to touching them.[/citation]
...try to realize that there is life beyond the miniscule desktop enthusiast market to that of the IT world of servers...pfft

I'd like to see AMD step it up and take some market share. I almost got one of the netbooks with an AMD/ATI cpu/gpu. At the 330 price range there is some amd options with HDMI out. Intel HD is trash. Ion is fairly expensive.

I would like to see Nvidia and AMD work together. This way they can work together to fight Intel and their poor buisness practices. Not like they have to merge or anything; it would just be better for the competition within the market.

Azriel4444

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Best thing about this suit is it opens up more oems to AMD. By this time next year AMD will be hitting Intel hard. I'm not sure about forcing Pci Express on Intel though. If they want to hang themselves by not allowing other video solutions, let them. Theres a ton of companies that require workstation video cards to get their work done.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]failboat[/nom]I'd like to see AMD step it up and take some market share. I almost got one of the netbooks with an AMD/ATI cpu/gpu. At the 330 price range there is some amd options with HDMI out. Intel HD is trash. Ion is fairly expensive.[/citation]
It sounds like you will want the AMD Ontario based netbook.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
When are they going to start putting the white collar crooks in jail? A common thief or burgler can be sent to jail for stealing small amounts, but engage in illegal activity that costs the public perhaps millions of dollars and you can negotiate a settlement that the company (investors) pay for.

If the prosecuters started throwing a few more businessmen in jail for their crimes, we might see more law abiding corporations.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Not sure if all of this was fair to Intel, considering it was only price fixing that they did and they got all this stuff regulated against them. But Intel doesn't mind. I do believe Intel might start to think about suing companies now though. And If I was Intel, I would throw a shock to everyone's face and try to acquire NVidia. I know this most likely won't happen, but it will catch people's pants down.

PS Isn't Intel one of the forerunners for PCIe? Why would they try to get away from it unless they developed something better? Intel's tech is Intel's tech, and just like AMD begged the courts to get some of Intel's tech back in the day, everyone just needs to become innovative like they were. AMD can do it, but they just don't have to best staff that is smart enough.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
i think this is fkn fair. I am using Intel from start, pretty much can say me a fanboy. But these days Intel in Pakistan have pushed i3, i5's and what not and took out all c2d's and cqd's. i designed my system around a c2d and now the processors are all gone. that's the biggest shame i ever saw. I hope they get fined big. or somehow lose alot of money as this gave me alot of tension. now i am finding a smuggled processor. atm Only quad core q6600 is available from Intel dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.