Intel Aims for Two Second Boot Times

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

2 second boot time nice.

to everyone saying all my programs wont work because they are made for windows: its a net book all you can do on one is internet/email/basic word processing anyway. the screen is too small and they are not powerful enough to do games/video editing/photo editing/music creation

i will let anyone that uses windows based programs that interface with networking and non computing hardware (cars,machinery,control systems) get away with that statement

reapper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'd take twelve if they just would work ;] I'm still staying away from ie. Ubuntu just because sound doesn't work properly (f**k pulse audio).

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd probably make a dual-boot with Windows.. Moblin for quick look at something, Windows for anything else. I don't mind waiting a minute for OS to boot if I know I'll be using it for at least half an hour. I do mind it when I just want to check something quickly and be gone the next moment.. Dual booting would solve this nicely I think :)

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]YouKnowItsTrue[/nom]So you're trying to tell me that a crappy, slow, Atom processor can boot an OS in 2 seconds? I'm sure they mean: "display the desktop in 2 seconds, and wait 10 more seconds for the rest of the OS to catch-up while the mouse cursor sits frozen." I was noticing today that Ubuntu comes with some of the smaller to netbook sized Dells now, I'd trust Ubuntu far more than Moblin.[/citation]

agreed... and instead of making atom better.. they're downgrading everything else... well done intel...

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Nice but by all screenies it looks too much like windoze. I mean they should keep the usual layout. And I don't know but there isn't much in shortening boot in linux. Just edit few scripts and compile stuff(moblin afaik is compiled of atom with sse3 etc) and that's it.

G

I can imagine a 2 second boottime with one of Intel's premium SSD's installed, a lightwheight OS and a corei7 overclock edition!
Heck, DOS boots in even less than 2 seconds time!

the issue on this OS will be compatibility, drivers and supported software.

G

[citation][nom]wira020[/nom]agreed... and instead of making atom better.. they're downgrading everything else... well done intel...[/citation]
I don't know if this was meant sarcastically or not,but yes;this is what most people need!
Most people out there that will never read this blog, let alone play games, don't need an 8core 16 ghz computer with 24GB of RAM just to boot their OS fast to write a mail to grandma!

Neither do we need all these visual appealing effects, they don't help on being productive!
It's a great step forward to the old dos based mail clients, but do we really need this overburdened system?
Wouldn't it be better to have a fast booting OS;heck, install 3 or 4 of them per disk if have to (I bet they all together won't take more space then Win Vista on the HD), and use one version for eg: a photo editing studio, another for video, another loaded with office apps, etc...
If it only takes a few seconds to exit and reload OS,is the same as logging out and in as another user in XP! Even faster!

I think Intel IS going the right way! We DONT need overburdened PC's, where 90% of the system resources are been used by the OS, and only 10% can be allocated to programs.
I remember in the old days, DOS used to take up no more than 120 something kB out of the 640kB of himem. That's less than 20%!
That's where we need to go back to.
For reference, Windows Vista uses nearly 60-70% of RAM for computers with lower than 2GB of RAM.

G

@reapper: I do elite audio stuff in Ubuntu, pulseaudio should be uninstalled in favor of ALSA drivers, Ubuntu comes with pulse installed, Kubuntu does not. Setting up ALSA to Wineasio to WINE to Reaper is easy and works well, with either slightly better or slightly worse performance than Windows(mostly depending on how much system tweaking you're willing to do).

reapper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
:D L337audioProducer :D I haven't gotten to Reaper under Wine linux especially since Line6 Pod Farm doesn't seem to work there (I use pod studio interfaces) but for simple workstation usage I need flash with support under linux and it really doesn't work on Ubuntu for me. Even ALSA finds too many controls, it remaps them every time I boot and sometimes there is just no sound. It sounds crazy but it really is that way for me :D Anyway I'm sure it's my laptop hardware but still it's a usability issue I can't ignore.
btw, one more reason I keep windows: C&C Red Alert 3 is the new main game in lan parties I go to so.. If I have windows, why go linux? On the other hand, if that Moblin system will just work with no problems - the best thing that could happen ;]

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Apple doesn't get it, Linux fans don't get it. I want to run the software that I want to run, and that means Windows based software, so I have to have Windows.

Now for people that don't do much with their computers, Linux might be fine.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]wira020[/nom]agreed... and instead of making atom better.. they're downgrading everything else... well done intel...[/citation]
Faster processor = more power = more heat = more money that we have to pay in the processor in the first place.

Besides, most of the stuff in XP Home really isn't necessary on a netbook.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
That's a no-brainer to install any distribution of Linux on any PC unless we want to play popular games that stupid companies only write for Windows (which therefore we shouldn't play) or we are computer illeterate. If something that could boot in 2 seconds on an Intel Atom did come out, I'd run it on my Phenom 720 :) Hey, it's faster than ExpressGate and would probably be a ton better! :D

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Now for people that don't do much with their computers, Linux might be fine.[/citation]I work as a back-end developer and Linux has all I need for my work. If you consider a full-time work as "not doing much with their computers" then I don't really understand what is.
And it's even simpler with netbooks on which you can't do anything serious like gaming, photoshopping/CADding or whatnot.
Linux has IM client, mail client, browser, media player, file manager etc. What else do you need on a netbook?

NocturnalOne

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Fast boot is nice but what's needed is more efficient sleep or hibernate functionality. You want to 'freeze' your current applications including web pages you're reading and then restore it later in the same state. Maybe pop some dedicated shadow flash in the system to make DRAM persistent. There could be a lazy synchronization that happens all the time and gets completed on the hibernate command.

Anyway, it's always interesting to see slimmed down operating systems. If you've been around a while you remember MACH and other micro kernels. This latest attempt is useful only for the linux crowd and that's not the majority of netbook users. It would be better to develop the aforementioned improved sleep/hibernate functionality and provide hooks so all operating systems can use it.

G

I'm sure Puppy Linux is just as good or better than this, I don't know about you guys, but my computers sit at the BIOS screen (and bootlloader) for longer than 2 seconds, and it takes me far longer than 2 seconds to close my apps and save my work. If I put Kubuntu to sleep instead of turning it off, I get reasonably close to this mythical 2 second mark, but I don't find turning off and on to be unbearably long...

However, where I call BS on this is: Unless these netbooks come with L337 $500 Intel SSDs, what is the top real-world hard-drive bandwidth we're looking at? 10-20mb a second? Let's be unreasonably nice and say it's 50mb/s (real-world) and that 100mb of OS can be loaded from the hard drive. Do you think even the top Atom CPU can process that much data to initialize all of the hardware modules and start the X-Server in 2 seconds? I doubt it.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Apple doesn't get it, Linux fans don't get it. I want to run the software that I want to run, and that means Windows based software, so I have to have Windows.[/citation]
Oh, I get it. You like Windows. Fine. I respect that.
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Now for people that don't do much with their computers, Linux might be fine.[/citation]
But let me correct this statement for you. You should said:
"I am the person that can do very much with computer that runs Linux."

G

@reapper again: I was browsing the Linux kernel changelogs, it looks like they very recently added preliminary support for your POD hardware, see commit:
705ececd1c60d0f5d6ef2a719008847883516970

You'd have to compile your own kernel, it could be a while before that version of the kernel hits a distro. The kernel authors have been doing tons of work to ALSA lately, it's really coming along nicely.

cataclymistic100

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Of course! I mean like I would never want that on my desktop... I need the functionality that windows gives that nothing else can but for a netbook and just surfing or emailing like I'm so down with that. If they can get full functionality in less than 10 seconds that would be wonderful!

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
IS IT so IMPORTANT about 5 to 10 more seconds to wait for loading windows? we all know that windows got the most app's available, not linux!
time is worth more than gold! but just can't we wait 10 seconds? god!

reapper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
WHY do people think of netbooks as PCs instead of what they are intended to be? They are APPLIANCES for browsing web, communicating and occasional entertainment (music/video). They aren't meant to be used for "professional" or "enthusiast" tasks so what other apps do you need that are windows only?

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Moblin =
Mob Lin =
Mob Linux =
Linux for the masses?

No, just the mob (Russian or otherwise). The government will have their own version as well. The masses will be stuck with windows forever due to lack of knowledge/interest.

Alternately, it could just stand for mobility linux, but that would be too easy.

On a more serious note, this would be a great system if they developed a case for the netbook similar to that of some phones, where it would automatically boot when you pull it out and shut off when you case it. Assuming the system is actually functional in 2 seconds, it would make netbooks worth carrying around.

[citation][nom]llemm[/nom]atlast a T.V like switching.[/citation]

Since I switched from analog cableto digital (Verizon Fios), I notice that you can't channel surf any more. It takes one to two seconds to build a full image on each channel as I switch to it. I know that a second doesn't sound like much, but channel surfing depended on it being there when I flicked to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.