Intel And Micron Announce Shipments Of 3D NAND - Op-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Glad I didn't build an SSD NAS yet. Prices will keep going down. SSDs came out at the perfect time, just as 3D stacking was coming around.

Next big thing, 4GB+ of L4 3D stacked memory on your CPU.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
The Nvidia GPUs scheduled for next year will have 4GB-8GB of 3D stacked memory on top of the GPU, directly integrated. 1024bit wide, nearly 1TB/s of bandwidth, half the latency of regular system memory. That's more bandwidth than L1 cache on most CPUs, just not less latency.

G

16nm NAND is a bad idea in any case. I don't care how cheap it is, it doesn't last long and is not reliable.

It's cool to see 3d NAND coming from several sources.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
20nm TLC has 1k write cycles, 20nm 3D has about 10k-35k write cycles depending on the desired performance. 20nm SLC has about 100k cycles.

You can write about 1.5-2.5PB to a 256GB 3D drive before it hits its limit. That's about 8k full drive writes. Once we start seeing 4TB SSDs, even if they drop down to 4k write cycles, you're still talking about 8PB of data written. Plenty for your home user.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"The Nvidia GPUs scheduled for next year will have 4GB-8GB of 3D stacked memory on top of the GPU, directly integrated. 1024bit wide, nearly 1TB/s of bandwidth, half the latency of regular system memory. That's more bandwidth than L1 cache on most CPUs, just not less latency. "

The AMD gpus due out very soon, will be the first to have stacked memory on the cpu. We wont have to wait for next year. We will know what kinda performance it brings soon. Dont know when the 3xx series is due. Maybe a month or 2, but not long.

unityole

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
nice article Paul, it was a good read to see what has to come in the future, although 3D NAND still more expensive at this point, power users would probably get them for performance SSD or find these flash in prosumer SSD. I'll be waiting for the 4+ TB for 2.5" SSD though for sure. TLC for sequential read/writes for storage is perfect.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
When I see the name Intel and an announcement of "3D NAND with disruptive cost" - Then my only conclusion can be that they intend to use their billions to sell their flavour below cost to bully competitors out of the playground.

I mean really that is the only possible conclusion. As it was for so many of their CPUs historically and now their Atom series.

But hey.. Albeit a damned shitty way to do business (as far as consumer interests are concerned) I suppose it is still business.

Status
Not open for further replies.