Intel And Micron Stop Joint Development Of 3D XPoint After Second Generation Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
"Sales of 3D XPoint have obviously been under expectations."

That's what happens when you price it so ridiculously high that no one wants to pay for it.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
The first product out the doors was something no one was asking for.
The second product out the door was something no one was asking for.
The third product out the door was something no one was asking for.
The fourth product out the door was something no one was asking for.
The fifth product out the door was something no one was asking for.
Meanwhile I still can't buy the only Xpoint product I'm interested in buying.

Thanks a lot, Intel.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Wonder if Intel's 2020 graphics cards will be affordable or if they plan on keeping the "1.5x the performance at 2.5x the price" trend on high end products.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't there also an issue of compatibility? Or did I misread that?

Marlin Schwanke

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Complete disconnect between the breathless hype of several years ago and the actual product on offer today.

I have no interest in purchasing anything Intel has released or announced.

TheSecondPower

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I would've seriously considered buying an Optane drive. It's expensive for the capacity, yes, but for under $100 I could've had more than enough capacity for a Linux install and run it on the fastest SSD available. But none of that matters, because I have a computer with a Ryzen processor, and Intel's Optane drives only work with specific Intel processors.

Intel can't sell Optane because they closed the door on a lot of potential customers and because— as if it wasn't enough to only sell to certain customers with very new and high-end Intel processors— they marketed the drives as an HDD cache. So the only people who can buy it are people who would've already spent money on a nice SSD. As several reviewers pointed out when the product launched, it was a great device without a reasonable target market.

I also can't help but think they missed a big opportunity with the memory shortages these last couple years. Many SSDs are being sold without a DRAM cache. What about an XPoint cache? It's much cheaper than DRAM and also has a much longer life. It'd be a perfect cache for a budget SSD to get a lot of the benefits of having a DRAM cache.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

You're a victim of Intel's failed marketing. You definitely can use an Optane drive on Ryzen. It works just like any other NVMe SSD. And even though Intel allows you to use it as an Optane cache on their Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake motherboards, there's no reason you can't use it with AMD's StoreMI software to accomplish a similar tiered storage solution on Ryzen.

So you could have definitely gotten an Optane drive and installed Linux on it. Maybe Intel just didn't make that clear enough.

Optane drives work with AMD just fine and are supported. The Optane memory on the other hand is not supported on AMD. Intel did a poor job differentiating the two products so people confuse these regularly.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Optane memory modules are identical to the Optane 800p drives in every single way. They still work like normal NVMe drives. The 118GB 800p even has the exact same specs and capacity as the 120GB Optane memory module. The only thing different is the marketing.

By memory I meant the Optane DIMM's that fit into a DDR4 slot. Those require motherboard support and no AMD doesn't have any support for these DIMM's.

For example:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

Status
Not open for further replies.