Intel Announces 9th Generation Core CPUs, Eight-Core Core i9-9900K

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eli_singer

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Well the reason for wanting to upgrade has to do with the fact that i rather sell my current setup and buy a new one for a relatively small price difference now, which will keep me on the forefront of current technology, rather than having an aging machine that i can't sell and having to shell big coin for a completely new machine in a few years.

Having said that, i do need to know that i will be getting on par or better performance from a new rig.

I will be using:
4x16 sticks of RAM (64GB total)
GTX 1080
10Gb Ehternet PCI Express card
1 NVMe m.2 drive
2 SATA SSD drives

I will add a Blackmagic Decklink card to output video to my studio grading monitor.
I could probably add another NVMe drive down the road and another SATA SSD.

My understanding is that i need 16 lanes for the GPU, 4 lanes for the 10GBe card, 4 lanes for the decklink card.

This sums up to 24 lanes.

As far as i understand, the M.2 drives and the SATA drives all come from the Chipset lanes which is not a problem.
But everything that goes into the PCI-E slots comes from the CPU lanes and that's where i might encounter issues with a 9900k setup since i will be using a GPU, a network card, and a decklink card, all 3 in PCI-E slots.

Am i getting this right?
would i be better off staying with my 7820x in terms of performance due to the lanes issue?
Does it make sense to replace the 7820x with a 9800x? they practically look almost identical but the next step up is at least $300 more...

Eli

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading. Yes, the i9-9900K will be faster, but IMO not worth the cost and trouble.

As for the lanes, it probably depends on the motherboard and whether you insist on having your GPU connected at x16. If not, then some motherboards support a x8 + x8 or x8 + x4 + x4 configuration for the CPU lanes.

You should also consult the motherboard documentation to see which PCIe slots are on the CPU vs. chipset. Everything from the chipset, including NVMe and whatever PCIe slots its driving will share a single x4 link to the CPU. That might be alright.

Each lane is good for about 985 MB/sec, which should be enough to stream 4k 60p @ 4:2:2 to your DeckLink card. I also don't see why a 10 GBe card would be x4, unless it's PCIe 2.0 or a dual-port card, as x1 is almost fast enough for it. But looking at the above numbers suggests you should have more than enough bandwidth to stream uncompressed video from your NVMe and send it out your DeckLink card, or support a 10 GBe file transfer to/from your NVMe.

So, with the right motherboard, you should be able to make it work, even if you use a full x16 connection to your GPU.

Not every PCIe slot will come from the CPU. Mainly the x16 slots do but the x1 and x4 can come from the chipset.

The 9800X is not the same. It has 16.5MB of L3 cache vs 11 and 44 PCIe lanes on the CPU vs 28. In terms of CPUs going to the 9900K would be a drop in PCIe lanes and L3 cache. Your only way forward would be the 9800X.