Intel Announces App Store for Atom Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnegroni

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Damnit Acer...I hope your newer netbooks actually WORK instead of spending time in the repair shop. Anyhow, good news for Intel and netbooks!

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Interesting. I only wonder what sort of applications they might be offering. It seems like we're a little app store happy now, aren't we?

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Wont this be OS dependent? I can understand for each company and OS but to those of us that do not stick with the default OS this means nothing. Or does it? If I want a app I just "sudo apt get" it. Plus it's free.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I won't use any apps that I have to pay for (app store caliber that is). That's why I've got winmo phones, enough free stuff to do anything I need. Hell even my BB has free stuff for most of what I want. My netbook is win7, osx, ubuntu so I have no need for "little apps".

Then again I don't twit, facebook, etc. as I have a (real) life :)

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
this is stupid. netbooks are pcs, not proprietary mobile devices. we already have an app store, it's called the fucking internet, and we don't need intel to spoon feed us applications.

eaclou

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ubuntu already comes with what is essentially an app-store, but almost everything's free, also, windows has the internet and google to find and d/l things...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I've always thought app stores were a good idea. AS LONG AS THEY WERE NOT THE ONLY WAY!

multiple app stores can be a pain tho (like having to have steam for some games, something else for others) I think they should all agree on ONE standard, so people can buy their apps from any app store, but can view them all in one place, maybe even have the same account for all of them.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]I've always thought app stores were a good idea. AS LONG AS THEY WERE NOT THE ONLY WAY!multiple app stores can be a pain tho (like having to have steam for some games, something else for others) I think they should all agree on ONE standard, so people can buy their apps from any app store, but can view them all in one place, maybe even have the same account for all of them.[/citation]

as long as that standard/framework does not add to the cost of creating applications, then i'm all in.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
So now instead of just reaming you a new one with their high OS and software prices they can nickel and dime us to death with an appstore too? I won't like it unless they sell office apps for a few bucks each on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.