Intel Announces Core i5, Core i7 With vPro

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's more big-brother-ware than anything else. It doesn't stop thieves from taking out the hard-drive if IT folk were actually concerned about the data. Combined with the fact that if it's encrypted at all, it's probably encrypted with crappy EFS, vPro does nothing to actually protect the data. Locking the laptop isn't a sufficient deterrent, and it's not going to bring the laptop back either, it will quickly find it's way into a dumpster if it stops working.

I'd even go as far to say that this is probably present in the non-corporate editions.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Great. Now someone has the power to lock you out of your own computer...remotely...and without tinkering with the software. Coming soon to a computer near you.

[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Great. Now someone has the power to lock you out of your own computer...remotely...and without tinkering with the software. Coming soon to a computer near you.[/citation]

I was under impression that vPro was built into Core 2 models as well, so this has been around for a while.

G

"lol. Why don't people just use TeamViewer?"

Because this is for trouble shooting. Good luck getting TeamViewer working if the OS doesn't boot.

"Damn... was looking to see some desktop mainstream CPUs not server ones... oh wells"

This doesn't require server CPUs and as such is quite mainstream. Q45 (Core 2 vPro) mainboards are quite heap, I expect Q57 ones to not be either.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I bet the extra features will keep prices high.[/citation]

[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]all about trying to squeeze the extra money out of people...now its onto businesses[/citation]

[citation][nom]makwy2[/nom]nice Intel. good to see they still are trying to come up with new business solutions to drive the "big" sales.[/citation]

Waaah freakin waaah. Nice to know people will cry when a company comes out with innovate features that don't apply specifically to the Joe Dirt type PC builder. Some people in the IT industry might like to hear news like this, even if it doesn't apply to directly to you.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I hope the company I work for buys PCs with vPro CPUs, the ability to remote in when the OS is not operational would be a hugely useful feature, as it would let us better support remote users who are hours away from offices.

G

Remote Assistance GPO's can be set in Windows 2003 (2000?). I have been using it since 2005. What's the big deal? Nothing new..., as those Americans say: go figure.

[citation][nom]DesktopMan[/nom]"lol. Why don't people just use TeamViewer?"Because this is for trouble shooting. Good luck getting TeamViewer working if the OS doesn't boot."Damn... was looking to see some desktop mainstream CPUs not server ones... oh wells"This doesn't require server CPUs and as such is quite mainstream. Q45 (Core 2 vPro) mainboards are quite heap, I expect Q57 ones to not be either.[/citation]
True that lol.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]P1n3apqlExpr3ss[/nom]Damn... was looking to see some desktop mainstream CPUs not server ones... oh wells[/citation]
These are both mainstream desktop cpu's. Intel's server/workstation line are called "XEON".

Status
Not open for further replies.