News Intel Announces Core i9-9900KS With $513 RCP, Arrives October 30

logainofhades

Titan
While lower than expected, I think it is still higher than what it is worth. The $184 ish difference, vs a 3700x, could easily mean a better GPU. That isn't even taking into account the more expensive cooling, that will be needed to tame this beast.

Co BIY

Splendid
That is a good question for an article to answer.

What are the coolers capable to handling this new processor at 127 TDP. Unfortunately I don't see coolers listed by TDP or handy charts that convert TDP to cooler capability.

I actually don't see coolers put numbers to their cooling power at all. Seems like it would be pretty easy to say X BTUs per minute dispersed at 70 degrees (f) air temp.

Reactions: JQB45
Sep 2, 2019
I have a Coolermaster Masterliquid 120 with 200W TDP.
I have set my i9-9900K to 5GHz allcore Turbo and the Power Limit to 180/165W to keep the Temperature under control.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Intel revealed the Core i9-9900KS will only be available until the end of the 2019 holiday season via a video posted to YouTube.
Since the KS is basically just a new stepping of the i9-9900K, I'm betting they'll just start selling them as i9-9900K's. I mean, when you have a new stepping of a chip, it's pretty nuts to keep making the older, worse one, since the manufacturing costs should be essentially the same.

Initially, the newer-stepping K chips might be lower-binned KS that couldn't hit the clock speed targets, but I guess some cherries should eventually end up being sold as Ks.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

What are the coolers capable to handling this new processor at 127 TDP. Unfortunately I don't see coolers listed by TDP or handy charts that convert TDP to cooler capability.

I actually don't see coolers put numbers to their cooling power at all. Seems like it would be pretty easy to say X BTUs per minute dispersed at 70 degrees (f) air temp.
Well, the preview they already posted showed it going well above 127 W. So, for most users*, that number is a fiction.

However, the question of which coolers are up to the task is still relevant.

* note: some motherboards enforce the TDP more strictly, but gaming-oriented boards tend not to.

While lower than expected, I think it is still higher than what it is worth. The $184 ish difference, vs a 3700x, could easily mean a better GPU. That isn't even taking into account the more expensive cooling, that will be needed to tame this beast.

Plus, only a 1 year warranty? No thanks. They can keep their processor right there on the store shelf. Permanently.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68448/intels-new-core-i9-9900ks-5ghz-1-year-warranty/index.html

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Plus, only a 1 year warranty? No thanks. They can keep their processor right there on the store shelf. Permanently.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68448/intels-new-core-i9-9900ks-5ghz-1-year-warranty/index.html

I wouldn't worry about it. All indications are that this will be a very limited release, which will make the RCP meaningless. Retailers are going to jack the price up so high, that you wouldn't have bought one with a 10 year warranty. The limited release is most likely also the reason for the 1 year warranty. Intel isn't going to have any of these lying around in 3 years for replacements.

I wouldn't have bought one anyhow, but there have been plenty of limited releases before and they never had a one year warranty. Obviously, they don't have much faith in the longevity of those chips with an all core 5Ghz boost.

Oct 29, 2019
What a joke. Intel is turning into the Trump of the chip world. So few of these must be binning out that they are only putting out the news to entice enthusiasts to stick with the Intel platform, only to downgrade to a plain 9900k when they can’t get a hold of a 9900ks. Nice try, Intel. How the mighty have fallen. Good luck with the graphic card program. Nobody will believe anything you say after this de facto fake news.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wouldn't have bought one anyhow, but there have been plenty of limited releases before and they never had a one year warranty. Obviously, they don't have much faith in the longevity of those chips with an all core 5Ghz boost.
For those who just fire up the occasional game, I think there's no cause for concern.

I suspect the 1 year warranty is just so they're not on the hook if some turkey buys it for heavy compute jobs and runs it full-tilt, 24/7.

For anyone considering an i9-9900K, I don't see why they wouldn't just step up to the KS, assuming they can actually find it for anywhere near list price.

Half the problem is AMD and Intel do not release that information. BTU/Minute @ 70ºF air temp (21.1ºC). If they did it would make it much simpler to select the perfect Air/Water Cooler as they could all be rated in the same fashion.

I like your idea though, so thumbs up for that. But a problem you have not mentioned is that each chip will output a different amount of heat based on a number of factors to include which motherboard is in use.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
All indications are that this will be a very limited release, which will make the RCP meaningless.
Like the i7-8086K, I expect they'll surpass it with another mainstream SKU, within a year.

The limited release is most likely also the reason for the 1 year warranty. Intel isn't going to have any of these lying around in 3 years for replacements.
I assume the warranty doesn't require an exact replacement. If you buy a CPU near EoL, it should still have the full warranty term - meaning they have to honor that even after they've stopped making the part. That said, if the KS is just a top-binned i9-9900K with the new stepping, then they absolutely could have replacements as long as they keep making those.

Also, how they handled the warranty of the i7-8086K should be relevant, here.

All the 9900k that are in the wild run 5Ghz on their cores,running all of them or only two at a time at 5Ghz doesn't change anything.
If anything the lower power usage will make them last longer.
Well, the preview they already posted showed it going well above 127 W. So, for most users*, that number is a fiction.

However, the question of which coolers are up to the task is still relevant.

* note: some motherboards enforce the TDP more strictly, but gaming-oriented boards tend not to.
Ya you don't need to cool your CPU down to 0 degrees...you only need to cool it enough for the CPU not to start throttling.

Some coolers do state a TDP that they are capable of managing, Cryorig for instance, BUT we don't know under what conditions that number is created. With a very low ambient temp and a high source temp you can increase the TDP it can manage as heat flow is a function of the difference in temp, so you'd get different results with a 20C ambient than a 40C ambient.

Reactions: bit_user

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Like the i7-8086K, I expect they'll surpass it with another mainstream SKU, within a year.

I assume the warranty doesn't require an exact replacement. If you buy a CPU near EoL, it should still have the full warranty term - meaning they have to honor that even after they've stopped making the part. That said, if the KS is just a top-binned i9-9900K with the new stepping, then they absolutely could have replacements as long as they keep making those.

Also, how they handled the warranty of the i7-8086K should be relevant, here.

You think Intel is going to release an 8 core CPU with an all core 5 Ghz boost or higher that is socket compatible with the 9900KS? I don't see it happening. The 8086 was a pretty underwhelming CPU that wasn't pushed to ragged edge like the 9900KS. As you said, it was superseded the next year.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Except for HEDT which intel processors haven't been superseded within a year?
When was the last time Intel was stuck on the same node for 5 years? Do you think Comet Lake is going to be capable of higher clocks than current coffee lake? There's no indication it will. It's not going to be socket compatible either. Does Intel ship warranty replacements that aren't socket compatible?

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
Intel cores must cost more to make...
I would never go back in core count.....that is counter Moore;s Law
that a connoisseurs must obey or seem tardy to the party.

Higher TDP than comp AMD CPUs.

What game these days has a need for higher clocks at 4K?

But you still need your cooler to be capable of more cooling than the heat output of the chip, else the temp will rise.
Yes and that point is at 127W TDP.
That's the amount of heat you have to dissipate to do some non-extreme workload at normal ambient temps.
Even if the power draw is 200W or even higher,you only need to cool 127W of it to remain above the throttle temp.

Intel cores must cost more to make...
I would never go back in core count.....that is counter Moore;s Law
that a connoisseurs must obey or seem tardy to the party.

Higher TDP than comp AMD CPUs.

What game these days has a need for higher clocks at 4K?
Oh, so you would never go back in core count because that is counter Moore's Law
but you do cut your FPS in half, if not more,because...how in heaven's name is that conform to Moore's law?!

Yes and that point is at 127W TDP.
That's the amount of heat you have to dissipate to do some non-extreme workload at normal ambient temps.
Even if the power draw is 200W or even higher,you only need to cool 127W of it to remain above the throttle temp.
and 127W excludes some coolers, like the cryorig M9, decent sized cooler, only 120W, the H7, only 140W, now whilst that might be above the 127W limit it'll be working at full pelt to stop it throttling at stock speeds and boosting only a minimal amount. I'd say that puts the hyper 212 out of contention, and a whole host more.