Intel Announces Mobile Quad-Core i7 For Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

wow pretty expensive and probably power hungry also would like to see the power draw numbers.

G

The lack of any real information provided makes me think that it's not that great. If the specs were remotely worthwhile, they'd have been posted, otherwise, we either have a paper launch on a product that's not finalized, or else this thing sucks way too much battery to justify such a low clockspeed.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Is there a spec sheet anywhere for cache, CPU speed, and whether or not they all have hyper-threading? I've been waiting for affordable (ie: 720Q) quads in notebooks because I do 3D illustration/animation and video editing. It'd be nice to get away from the desk sometimes to do work. Not about to drop $4000+ on the Alien-ware version though. An affordable 17" (at least 1680x1050 res) mobile workstation would be sweet! Hmmm...maybe work will buy me one....

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Impulse Fire911[/nom]nooooo now laptop users will be as powerful as my pc..... must stop this....[/citation]

Sure, they may be as powerful, but they will have to pay 2-3x more to achieve the same level of performance as we do building our own desktops. :)

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]hispeed120[/nom]Sure, they may be as powerful, but they will have to pay 2-3x more to achieve the same level of performance as we do building our own desktops.[/citation]
That my friend is very true. still pisses me off. im going to start a new comapny that shall have not 4 but 200 cores. it will be named...."Intel2"

G

A portion of every sale will go to bribing OEMs not to carry AMD products.

G

delivering... energy efficiency when you don’t [need it]..

I'm sure a Corei7 DOES need energy efficiency.. I'd doubt there's any Corei7 laptop with a long battery life, so a case where a corei7 for mobile does not need energy efficiency yet has to be invented I guess!

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Have you guys not read the article on the HP Envy 15? Claiming about 7 hours of battery life with the i7 mobile processor (with the battery slice).

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Have you guys not read the article on HP's new Envy 15 coming out in October? 7 hours of battery life with the new i7 mobile processor (with the battery slice)

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
There are sites that claim Dell is offering the i7 in their Studio XPS and Alienware line of laptops, but this is incorrect. At least it is not an available option on their website for anything but with the Alienware M15x.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]bk420[/nom]cool! i want the i7 720! It'll will be sweet to have quad core instead of my current sluggish turion x2![/citation]

My laptop is far worse. I am still using a Turion^64(single core) with 1.25 GB of RAM and an ATi Radeon Xpress 200M 128 MB. Talk about sad.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I looked at the m15x because I have one and while I like the new colors and the thought of an i7 on mobile, BUT the 280M GPU is NOT offered on the new m15x only the 260M. This means as far as graphics go it is no better than my 9800GTX. Also their screens are identical to mine 1920x1200 and they do not offer the better LED backlit ones. The guy online could only confirm that it had a mag alloy frame but not an aluminum shell so it is likely just plastic again. The only real benefit to going to that model would be most likely a boost in CPU power and a new color..., whatever.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Dell finally put up a banner ad on their laptop model page, which directs you to selections of certain laptops with the i7 processor. I really would like to get the Studio XPS 16, but the choice of video card sucks(Radeon 4670 1GB).

I know that Dell would rather people go with the Alienware line for gaming, but I think the cases suck something horrible. Also, then Studio XPS 16 is far more reasonable than the Alienware line, but Dell does not understand how to give customers a damned choice.

Of course, I would purchase the Studio XPS 16 if it were possible to upgrade the video card to a better one, but most laptops lack this vital option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS