News Intel Apologizes for Banning Components From Xinjiang Province per US Law

agamar

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Oh, I think you read it right. I think that our largest corporations care nothing for people, only profit. They want all the best parts about being in a country with rule of law, morals, etc. but then send all the manufacturing to countries without any protections for employees or even empathy for what they are doing to people.

Co BIY

Splendid
"We're sorry we can't take your money, because the bigger paying customer has a grief with you. We really don't care about human rights violations and only money, so let's make that clear, ok?"

Or am I reading too much into it? XD

Regards.

A more cynical reader would see a request for changes in product Origin labeling.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"We're sorry we can't take your money, because the bigger paying customer has a grief with you. We really don't care about human rights violations and only money, so let's make that clear, ok?"

Or am I reading too much into it? XD

Regards.
No, you just can't read to begin with. Intel is apologizing to suppliers here, not customers. Intel is giving them money, not taking money from them. Also, it makes no difference how much the US gov't (who isn't a supplier of Intel, so banning Chinese suppliers hurts them as a customer of Intel), buys from Intel, it's the US gov't. If they bought nothing from Intel, it would still be a ridiculously stupid move to give the gov't the finger and ignore their policies.

A more cynical reader would see a request for changes in product Origin labeling.
What do you mean?

No, you just can't read to begin with. Intel is apologizing to suppliers here, not customers. Intel is giving them money, not taking money from them. Also, it makes no difference how much the US gov't (who isn't a supplier of Intel, so banning Chinese suppliers hurts them as a customer of Intel), buys from Intel, it's the US gov't. If they bought nothing from Intel, it would still be a ridiculously stupid move to give the gov't the finger and ignore their policies.
"We're sorry we can't take your items, because the bigger paying customer has a grief with you. We really don't care about human rights violations and only money, so let's make that clear, ok?"

Better?

Regards.

Co BIY

Splendid

What do you mean?

Maybe the suppliers can get away with labeling changes, adding a clean middleman/middle-region, create some plausible deniability. Intel corporate is making it clear that "they" don't really have a problem with the slave-labor, "re-education" concentration camps, CCP horror-of-the-day. But they have to have some plausible deniability.

(Perhaps this is too cynical. They could also be complying with a law of their headquarters country and have to create some face-saving groveling to calm the over-reactive vindictive CCP tyrants.)

Dealing with the CCP in China is a complex moral conundrum that no one is dealing with well.

If you don't take advantage of the opportunities to be had then your competition will. But everyone who watches knows that those advantages are related to the abuses. To do business in China is supporting the CCP. To buy goods made in China is supporting the CCP. Supporting the CCP is supporting genocide in Xinjiang, military aggression in the region, the death of free Hong Kong, COVID cover-ups, extra-national censorship, the disappearances of individual independent Chinese citizens, the erasure of Taiwan, etc. ...

And to do otherwise costs and is hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me