Intel AppUp: The App Store for Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Apps are over rated...just get a slightly more powerful netbook and it can run WINDOWS APPS...way more to choose from than even ipod touch app store (and with more useful apps too)

G

There's an app-store for Linux called [insert name of your local package repository]. It has all the apps you want for free. Then there's sourceforge.net for Windoze users. Paid-for software is dead.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]deb_line____[/nom]There's an app-store for Linux called [insert name of your local package repository]. It has all the apps you want for free. Then there's sourceforge.net for Windoze users. Paid-for software is dead.[/citation]
Not dead. Just a second-best option. If you don't check sourceforge first you are doing yourself a disservice.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
what is the difference between an app for netbook that uses Windows XP as its OS versus regular app for Windows XP???
the major advantage of using Windows XP Home or 7 Starter or Linux in a Netbook is the freedom to choose not just one vendor in getting your applications. this app store is a huge step backward, imo.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]deb_line____[/nom]... Paid-for software is dead.[/citation]

Yes, because all software should be free and developers can go find themselves a job at McDonalds, while coding in their spare time at home, having no life.
Bright future for developers, I see.

Free software is part out out civilization, and it will never go away, but not all software will and can be free.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I agree not all software should be free, there is a big difference between simple apps that tell you the weather or do RSS feeds, compared to Photoshop or Office.

Problem is, for all the simple apps on the Appup store such as the aforementioned weather, RSS, etc etc etc there are a hundred freely available versions that do the same thing at www.download.com or sourceforge or any of the other big freeware sites. The Apple App-store has a closed market as you cannot go elsewhere for Apps, but you are not limited in your choice for a Linux or Windows based netbook.

I am all for Intel trying to open a new revenue stream, the big question is how are they going to convince people to pay for something that is free everywhere else?

G

I think some people here are misunderstanding of what the appup is about. It's like a repository where you have free software (where you can download it for free) and paid software (you download a trial and you paid it later if you want). So, actually searching in the appup is like searching at download.com, sourceforge.net, and so on.

I don't know how will be the process to publish an application in the appup. Maybe the vendors will have to pay a little feed, but I have no information related to this.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
"I agree not all software should be free, there is a big difference between simple apps that tell you the weather or do RSS feeds, compared to Photoshop or Office.
"

Guess you haven't heard of OpenOffice then? Or Paint.NET?

There are very complex free software packages if you know where to look. The only app I can't have on my linux box's native is Visio, nothing comes close to what it does, the way it does it. Course MS didn't come up with it, they just bought it, I still have a floppy with the first version of it somewhere...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]"I agree not all software should be free, there is a big difference between simple apps that tell you the weather or do RSS feeds, compared to Photoshop or Office."Guess you haven't heard of OpenOffice then? Or Paint.NET?There are very complex free software packages if you know where to look. The only app I can't have on my linux box's native is Visio, nothing comes close to what it does, the way it does it. Course MS didn't come up with it, they just bought it, I still have a floppy with the first version of it somewhere...[/citation]
That is the point I was making, software can be free, but some should be pay for, the big ones usually are with the OIpen Source exceptions but if you cant find a free version of a simple app then you just aren't looking hard enough.

G

I hope they are free, because I'm not interested in downloading an app, that can be gotten for free from the opensource community!

amybarton

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
It is great to see so many people trying the Intel AppUp Center Beta, and we appreciate all of the feedback - which has been rolled up to our management team.

We've heard the concern re credit cards, as well as the requests for free vs. paid apps. Our program director wrote a response, which was just published at: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/blog/2010/01/15/why-credit-card-requirement-anyway

In short, the credit cards portion of the software isn't in beta, and the credit cards are actually handled by PayPal. There are technical reasons for the requirement, as well. We do want to make this the best experience for consumers and developers.

Re paid vs. free apps. We all love free apps, but for developers "paid" is better, and better for the software ecosystem.

Amy from Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.