News Intel Arc A380 Slower Than GTX 1650, RX 6400 in Gaming Tests

hannibal

Distinguished
Fine existance…
This is intels first attemp for years. It will Take a couple of years to catch NVIDIA and AMD. Do the Intel have endurance to struckle that long and after that. Thats is the most interesting question in this. Previous times Intel has given up quite soon.

Reactions: spentshells

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oof... 75W, with the same TSMC N6 node that the 54W AMD card has, and underperforms both the 75W GTX 1650 and the 54W RX6400? Not a good look.

Presumably they will offer a "doesn't require a PCIe 6-pin" model. One would think.

If this succeeds, it will ONLY succeed on price. Even then, it mostly loses out to the RX 6400 on the price/performance metric. And, rated at 75W, are there going to be any single-slot low-profile variants possible? I'm thinking not.

Not so sure about the 1650, which seems to be stubbornly staying mostly in the $200+ range, but I imagine that the RX 6400's price will come down some. Intel is going to have to price things more aggressively to sell this.

In fairness to Intel, this is most likely a driver gap (hence my comment) that can be worked on with time. I mean, this is completely within my expectations and, I hope, of any rational human being. Only the savage monkeys are rattling the cage at the sight of lower numbers for the first round of cards. It's not ideal, but hardly surprising, in short.

The OEMs bit is going to be interesting to see. How Intel is going to... Heh... Let's say "entice" the OEMs to use these cards in their initial under-performing and under-whelming batch. I'm sure nVidia is staring at OEMs quite hard; even more so than AMD. I'm sure they don't want to be Athlon'ed with the OEMs.

Regards.

intel has 2 decades of track record of some of the worst graphical driver support in the industry. until ARC proves it has functioning and stable drivers with regular updates this will be a hard pass for me.

I don't know. I mean, I don't think it's that bad of a first try. There are a couple of good things going for it. 6gb of Vram, low pricing compared to the other GPU's. The price offset is relative to the drop in performance.

Okay, you could argue the 6gb of vram is not worth much at that level card. But still. Don't forget though, these are just entry level cards. The A5xx and A7xx are more midrange to higher end. Will be interesting to see their performance numbers.

It seems clear Intel are piling on the vram for each level card though as a way to attract the less knowledgeable purchasers.

I would totally agree on the drivers being key to the success or not of Intel GPU's. They have been massively lacking in terms of their iGPU's, so we can only hope they step up.

With Raja Koduri at the helm, I expect the driver issue will be short lived, and improved upon in major ways, so as to compete better with AMD/Nvidia.

Reactions: cyrusfox and KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
I'm actually rather impressed. This isn't a bad start at all and the synthetic test give reason for hope as well. Hopefully we will see driver and thus peeformance improvements soon. But all in all, this isn't a horrible start and prices are pretty competitive, too, which can only help them.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The OEMs bit is going to be interesting to see. How Intel is going to... Heh... Let's say "entice" the OEMs to use these cards in their initial under-performing and under-whelming batch. I'm sure nVidia is staring at OEMs quite hard; even more so than AMD. I'm sure they don't want to be Athlon'ed with the OEMs.

Regards.
The OEM specific dg1 was released over a year ago, and since we didn't have tons of clickbait articles saying how badly they did we can only assume that they did ok sales wise.
https://www.techpowerup.com/282385/...-goes-on-sale-with-cyberpowerpc-gaming-system

The OEM specific dg1 was released over a year ago, and since we didn't have tons of clickbait articles saying how badly they did we can only assume that they did ok sales wise.
https://www.techpowerup.com/282385/...-goes-on-sale-with-cyberpowerpc-gaming-system
It would be interesting to see sales numbers though.

Plus, DG1 is not part of the ARC family and no one took DG1 as a proper "gaming" card. More like a test bed of sorts.

Regards.

rapidwolve

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Fine existance…
This is intels first attemp for years. It will Take a couple of years to catch NVIDIA and AMD. Do the Intel have endurance to struckle that long and after that. Thats is the most interesting question in this. Previous times Intel has given up quite soon.
Actually it isn't their first attempt in years. If anything, Intel should have used the knowledge obtained from its integrated graphics, then stepped forward. But I=instead they stepped into a huge lake and may find it a struggle to stay graphics afloat

Actually it isn't their first attempt in years. If anything, Intel should have used the knowledge obtained from its integrated graphics,
Maybe they did, maybe their cards aren't bad at games because of drivers but because intel is focusing somewhere else.
If you look at the table the card is going to support all kinds of encoding and if it does this as well as their iGPUs it is going to be a selling point to people.
Of course it would be nice if they could get gaming to work better even on the low end cards but maybe this model is supposed to be a support card to get encoding into systems for really cheap.
Video CodecsAV1, H.264, H.265 decode/encodeH.264, H.265 decode onlyH.264, H.265 decode/encode
Approx Price$135$159$190
Also it doesn't matter how bad this first gen will fail, intel has enough money to keep it going for years, and as soon as they have enough of their new FABs going and can make them in house they are going to be even cheaper for intel to make so even less of an issue for intel to keep making them.

Sure, if it ends up like optane with people even after 5 years not adopting it enough they will probably end it if it doesn't make enough money by then.

Reactions: KyaraM
Maybe they did, maybe their cards aren't bad at games because of drivers but because intel is focusing somewhere else.
If you look at the table the card is going to support all kinds of encoding and if it does this as well as their iGPUs it is going to be a selling point to people.
Of course it would be nice if they could get gaming to work better even on the low end cards but maybe this model is supposed to be a support card to get encoding into systems for really cheap.

Also it doesn't matter how bad this first gen will fail, intel has enough money to keep it going for years, and as soon as they have enough of their new FABs going and can make them in house they are going to be even cheaper for intel to make so even less of an issue for intel to keep making them.

Sure, if it ends up like optane with people even after 5 years not adopting it enough they will probably end it if it doesn't make enough money by then.
Make no mistake. Intel has positioned ARC to be a gamers GPU first with all the bells and whistles AMD and nVidia already have, so it will be judged as such.

That being said, you're not wrong about the specific segment of the A380, which is the lower end and there's more to these than just games performance. Still, gaming performance is not something you can "forgive" unless its price reflects it. In this case, the performance seems to be really low and until they fix the performance, Intel should be realistic about pricing.

Regards.

Make no mistake. Intel has positioned ARC to be a gamers GPU first with all the bells and whistles AMD and nVidia already have, so it will be judged as such.

That being said, you're not wrong about the specific segment of the A380, which is the lower end and there's more to these than just games performance. Still, gaming performance is not something you can "forgive" unless its price reflects it. In this case, the performance seems to be really low and until they fix the performance, Intel should be realistic about pricing.

Regards.
Sure it will be judged as a gaming card by reviewers and DIY people, that's the right thing to do.
But it's also irrelevant for it being "successful" with OEMs, they use 1050 and even older cards right now or even just APUs/iGPU because there aren't enough modern gpus for all the systems they are producing.

KyaraM

Admirable

Regards.
If the pricing rumors are true and the cards launch at an MSRP of slightly over 100 bucks, they will be used, all the competition will be at least 50-100 bucks higher in price, which can be significant on a budget. Especially in systems that need the encoding more than gaming performance, like systems aimed at creators. Also, they did advertise the encoding capabilities from the start. It was a not too small part of the launch presentation, for example. Also, they even stated themselves that they concentrated on DX12 performance, not DX11, and the benchmark performance seems to confirm that. DX11 performance can be improved over time. I see no issues here and actually think they did a decent job.