News Intel Arc A730M Gaming Benchmarks Show RTX 3050 Mobile-Level Performance

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
In my opinion, Intel’ s GPU may sound great on paper, but the actual performance and stability may be lacking. Perhaps there is potential with the hardware, but the software may be the issue/ limiting factor here. I do feel they have to start somewhere, and this is going to be that starting point. Now the question is, how long will it take Intel to finally release their ARC GPUs. They are late, and very late, with no ETA in sight since they will always kick the can further down the road whenever the supposed ETA is approaching.

Reactions: jp7189

pacdrum_88

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
GPUs from Intel feel too little too late.

This may be their big splash into dedicated graphics, but it's turning out to be a ripple. Their 2nd tier card is between a 3050 and 3060. Top tier, we'll see.

And then driver optimizations seem garbage. Hard to believe big Intel is this far behind. Maybe their iGPUs have been a hindrance more than a help with development.

Finally, these cards are actually going to compete with Nvidia and AMD's Ada Lovelace and RDNA3 GPUs, not the current gen. Rough spot.

And then driver optimizations seem garbage. Hard to believe big Intel is this far behind. Maybe their iGPUs have been a hindrance more than a help with development.
We will see, I agree for now, support for their gpu is hilariously bad. MAYBE they will get this in check, maybe they won't.
I will withhold any judgements for now, we saw driver update double their performance in one game, if that IS NOT a unique, they might turn this mess around. Damn unlikely, but not impossible.
9FPS drops suggest there is some problem in there.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Another way to look at this is that Intel is NOT trying to compete directly with 1st tier cards, at least not in this go-round. If I was a marketing guru at intel, I would say it's more important to get our products out there that meet a more limited expectation which is where we will market it. Plenty of money to be made in budget conscious hardware. Once the market share is established and people feel more secure about buying an Intel GPU, then we will have 1) greater technical experience at making a potential top tier GPU and 2) a decent reputation/market share for such a product to be received in. Their pricing will be a key factor in this approach. Gotta walk before you run, and it seems to me they are at a pretty good jog already.