News Intel Arc Giveaway Reveals ‘Approximate’ Graphics Card Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performance remains largely unknown, but according to TFLOPS calculations we've seen, it could be close to a GeForce RTX 3080.
TFlops calculations are a terrible way to estimate graphics card performance for cards using a new architecture, especially for a brand new line of cards with no direct predecessor. Even going from Nvidia's 20 series to their current 30 series, there was a huge difference in how much gaming performance a given number of TFlops works out to. Going by advertised compute performance alone, one would expect a "20.3 Tflop" 3070 to be around 50% faster than a "13.5 TFlop" 2080 Ti, but in reality, the two typically perform quite similar in games, since the gaming-performance relative to compute performance was much lower for the 30-series. It's also hard to base any comparisons on the ultra-low-end Xe graphics hardware that's already been released, since it's unknown how well the architecture will scale to larger sizes with faster memory.

Most rumors I've seen have suggested that their top-end part might get around 3070 performance or so. Without knowing more details, it's possible that it could manage to be more of a 3080 competitor, but a sub-heading that suggests "Potential RTX 3080 performance for around $650–$850" amounts to little more than complete speculation. And even the approximate value of the prizes doesn't tell us that much when they don't go into any detail about what the "Intel Arc branded merchandise" will include. At best, we can consider these upper limits for the value of each card.

And as has been pointed out, suggested pricing doesn't mean much for the street prices of cards right now, and it's hard to say exactly how long it might take before pricing for a given level of performance gets back to where it was a year ago.

Reactions: VforV

hannibal

Distinguished
I am very sure that it is good at mining! The best way to sell Intel gpus is to make it good at mining. Also Intels main market will be datacenter gpus, so having good calculation genes are needed for that!
And yeah... msrp is meaningless, because ASUS will sell these with Asus own msrp, and Gigabyte will these with gigabytes own msrp and the resellers and middle mans also want to have their slice of the cake and eat it too.
But interesting this is newer the less!

Once again,

Intel marketing has their head up their tail.

Intel has an unproven history of dGPU graphics and support. In fact UHD graphics driver support for games is a joke.

If intel is serious about this, they need to sell these direct via website to end users and refuse P.O. Boxes. 1 Per Customer. Verifying a shipping address is easy as there are address normalizers out there that filter out subtle variations in addresses.

This is just a cash grab. Well done intel. You have proved your arrogance yet again.

Oct 5, 2021
Am I the only one seeing all the bait posts here and at TPU? Everyone's up in arms about pricing. A third player is about to enter the market which should be good for flattening out the pricing spike but the posts don't seem to reflect the trend were all looking for? What am I missing? Can I play? Grumble, grumble, grumble... :)

Am I the only one seeing all the bait posts here and at TPU? Everyone's up in arms about pricing. A third player is about to enter the market which should be good for flattening out the pricing spike but the posts don't seem to reflect the trend were all looking for? What am I missing? Can I play? Grumble, grumble, grumble... :)

Competition is supposed to breed better prices. It has not. They are all taking advantage of the situation

At first I want to see encoding, rendering and game benchmarks for this GPU in real software and games to make any conclusions about performance.

Also $650-$850 price for RTX 3080 performance look nice in PR presentation. In reality for such performance price will leap accordingly and real price will be at least doubled. Or even more if particular GPU will found a niche in mining (which, I believe, will happen). Because if Intel will not bother about free extra cash about what I seriously doubt, then retailers and scalpers who are actually the same nowadays, certainly will prepare their money shovels and rakes.

And yeah... msrp is meaningless, because ASUS will sell these with Asus own msrp, and Gigabyte will these with gigabytes own msrp and the resellers and middle mans also want to have their slice of the cake and eat it too.
But interesting this is newer the less!
Do you think they are going to use any OEM/boardpartners ? This would be extremely weird, intel makes their own mobos, ssds and so on without using anybody else, it would seem out of character for them.

Oct 5, 2021
Competition is supposed to breed better prices. It has not. They are all taking advantage of the situation

Completely agree but the competition has to be present, with volume in the market for that to happen. There is palpable concern about ARC. If Intel floods the market with available hardware..

Old enough to know the chip shortage is complete BS. It's a manufactured price fixing scheme blamed on crypto. Old boys club stuff. Circles back to my original point. The amount of Intel *hitposts are sus.

Co BIY

Splendid
If it has 1660 game performance and sells for a 125% of a 1660 MSRP they'll sell them all. Intel's recent track record of producing adequate supplies of their products that sell at MSRP pretty soon after introduction is good so its all to the good.

There is no way the introduction of third major GPU manufacturer is bad for the market.

OTOH I think you should not make a purchase until you have seen independent reviews that cover your specific use case.

Reactions: Krotow

InvalidError

Titan
Do you think they are going to use any OEM/boardpartners ? This would be extremely weird, intel makes their own mobos, ssds and so on without using anybody else, it would seem out of character for them.
While Intel makes SOME motherboards, Pegatron and other companies that make boards for Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. likely make a whole lot more Intel boards than Intel itself.

As far as Alchemist is concerned though, my bet is that it will be too low volume to be worth bothering signing 3rd-party manufacturers for. At most, it might contract an external board manufacturers or two to supplement its in-house manufacturing.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I am very sure that it is good at mining! The best way to sell Intel gpus is to make it good at mining. Also Intels main market will be datacenter gpus, so having good calculation genes are needed for that!

The crypto market is volatile as eff. Relying on it when you're launching a new line of business is sort of insane. The smart thing for Intel to do is to bring only a small number of cards to retail and then quietly sell the rest at a steep discount to Valve or Amazon for use in their game steaming services. In a controlled environment, the newest of the cards won't be a serious issue. Game steaming is also an install-base multiplier. Half a couple hundred thousand cards could potentially serve millions of gamers. That gives developers the necessary incentive to optimize for Intel hardware. Predictability of demand is also a major plus.

InvalidError

Titan
The crypto market is volatile as eff. Relying on it when you're launching a new line of business is sort of insane.
In the current market, if you can make it, someone will buy it, so it doesn't matter whether Intel relies on crypto for sales or not. If miners don't want it for whatever reason, desperate gamers will gladly take them at MSRP or below.

ARC's success is practically guaranteed either way.

As far as game streaming goes, I'd rather buy a $200-250 GPU and enjoy ~30ms online gaming than stream games at 60+ms latency that would require me to upgrade to an internet plan costing me $150-200/year extra.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
As far as game streaming goes, I'd rather buy a $200-250 GPU and enjoy ~30ms online gaming than stream games at 60+ms latency that would require me to upgrade to an internet plan costing me $150-200/year extra.

It's perfect when you're playing games on your employer's dime, ha ha. Your machine is weak but the Internet connection is strong.

Oct 8, 2021
I think this is a golden time for intel GPU even if it is inferior than AMD and Nvidia ... because if Miners dont like it , and it stays MSRP price then everyone will buy them even if they are some 30% less performance.

Once again,

Intel marketing has their head up their tail.

Intel has an unproven history of dGPU graphics and support. In fact UHD graphics driver support for games is a joke.

If intel is serious about this, they need to sell these direct via website to end users and refuse P.O. Boxes. 1 Per Customer. Verifying a shipping address is easy as there are address normalizers out there that filter out subtle variations in addresses.

This is just a cash grab. Well done intel. You have proved your arrogance yet again.

Intel entering discrete gpu is not about providing more competition for the sake of consumer anyway. The main plan is to divert people from buying nvidia gpu. If intel can tackle the OEM market well especially the laptops then at one point consumer are forced to buy laptops with their gpu inside because intel able to push away nvidia from getting more design win. If this happen then they will have successfully negating nvidia the revenue they should get and hopefully will disrupt nvidia bigger plan on the professional side.

More choice is better but don't hope it will going to give us consumer better pricing. Even if they were it will only for a short term. Long term the customer are screwed anyway. From another perspective consumer probably well deserved being screwed up by these greedy company anyway because they also contribute for monopoly/duopoly to happen.

Co BIY

Splendid
Markets have a history of doing much better for consumers with three players than two.

With one player it's a monopoly and they can gouge optimize profit. But at least you know who needs watched.

Two players gets more complicated and is rarely stable for long. One gets ahead and uses the advantage to steal share rather than take profit until they can get monopoly. Governments and consumers buy to maintain competition rather than on strict product value.

With three players the game theory starts to get more complicated and concentrating on good product , value and consumer satisfaction pays off better than other non-consumer focused strategies.

It gets better the more competition there is but by memory if you get seven or 8 players the firms become price takers meaning they cannot really influence the market at all by their actions.

hannibal

Distinguished

I think that at leas 99% will be AIB or OEM partners. Intel make chips, they don´t build computers or full gpus with fans and heatsinks. They have their NUC line, that may eat some of that production, but most stuff goes to AIB or OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.