News Intel ARC GPUs to Ship Without Cryptocurrency Mining Limitations

Article needs to be updated and corrected.
This is Intel's third attempt to enter the discrete GPU market.
We had the abysmal I740/750 cards.
Then Larabee never really materialized besides engineering samples and now we have ARC.
Maybe you should give it Third times a charm spin.

Reactions: 2Be_or_Not2Be

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
i kinda imagining how if miners hit that vga stocks hard. so hard that we arrived at 2-3 years with no VGA for gamers. how is the gaming industry will go forward?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i kinda imagining how if miners hit that vga stocks hard. so hard that we arrived at 2-3 years with no VGA for gamers. how is the gaming industry will go forward?

Just fine. Not like people aren't getting GPUs, they just aren't readily available. The vast majority of people still buy off the shelf PCs and Consoles. A quite small minority that build the systems themselves or upgrade existing systems. You also have mobile gaming as a major competitor.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

InvalidError

Titan
Focus more on engaging story-telling and innovative game mechanics instead of graphics pissing contests? Portal 1&2 are two of my favorite games so far and their graphics are about as plain as it gets as far as 3D games are concerned.

Just fine. Not like people aren't getting GPUs, they just aren't readily available.
They are readily available, just not at sane prices if gaming is the only intended use.

With millions of shipping containers stuck at sea (over 500k off of California's coast alone) because ports are unable to unload them fast enough, it could be a long while before supply returns to normal.

Reactions: bigdragon

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are readily available, just not at sane prices if gaming is the only intended use.

To those that are willing to pay and would upgrade something like a GPU, or build a system around it.

For everyone else there are gaming laptops, pre-built gaming desktops all available at reasonable prices, some with longer lead times then normal, but still attainable.

My comment was mostly focused on what would happen to the gaming industry, and my answer is just fine, there are still plenty of ways for people to get gaming systems.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming laptops are kind of in their own category, and have always been pricey. You are paying for a battery, screen, keyboard, touchpad, probably a camera, speakers, and overall portability. Add all that to a console and you are probably in about the same price range.

Besides, a gaming laptop is multipurpose, so easier to justify if it is the primary entertainment and work device.

I'm not big on gaming laptops myself, just go for mid-range whenever I do buy one. Currently rocking an i7-4700HQ with a GT740m. I think I have Diablo II and Command & Conquer loaded it on, not that I have been traveling lately.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
Intel never had to limit anything before & if Intel can keep up with every industry & emerging industry Everyone wins. They are investing $20 billion in order to make chips non-stop.

InvalidError

Titan
Gaming laptops are kind of in their own category, and have always been pricey. You are paying for a battery, screen, keyboard, touchpad, probably a camera, speakers, and overall portability. Add all that to a console and you are probably in about the same price range.
TVs have built-in speakers better than most laptops and most people already have one of those which is what consoles are generally intended to connect to.
I wouldn't do any serious gaming on a laptop's keyboard, so I'd end up buying and carrying a full-size keyboard for gaming.
I wouldn't do any serious gaming on a trackpad, so I'd end up buying and carrying a mouse too.
If I was a streamer, I likely wouldn't be satisfied with the video quality, fixed focus, fixed angle, etc. of the usually cheap built-in camera, so I'd end up packing a webcam anyway.
Consoles come with at least one game pad and games for them are designed to use their stock controller, which eliminates the need to buy additional input devices in most cases. While you may need to buy additional controllers for local multi-player, you need to do that too on a PC/laptop in what few games where that is an option at all.

So, starting-costs-wise, a console starts much lower than a gaming laptop.

Me, I'm just waiting for something decent under $200 worth upgrading to from my GTX1050.

Nov 23, 2021
I would not worry. Once the bear market comes back next year, casual miners will be dumping GPUs left and right.