[SOLVED] Intel Ax 211 error 28 in windows 11 laptop?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have an Asus laptop with originally came with with Intel 9560 card. Last year I installed an Intel Ax201 and got WiFi 6. I got hold of Ax211 this year and installed fine physically. But as soon as I booted into Windows 11, defeat. Error 28. But if I install newest Intel wifi drivers, still error 28.

Does AX211 require extra power or something? That a laptop cannot provide ?

Solution
So at first I though it was because that is one of those strange part numbers that only fit in certain special slots but then I realized all the cards you have been using have that special intel interface.

The error you are getting is related to drivers. Windows can be pretty stupid sometime when you swap hardware around. Maybe remove the card and then try to remove any wifi drivers, then if you can try to install the correct drivers before you put the card back in. You would think windows would then use that driver rather than one of its generic ones.

I doubt it is power issue the only real differnce is the chip has the ability to switch to the 6g radio band in addtion to the 2.4 and 5g. The actual maximum transmit power is...
So at first I though it was because that is one of those strange part numbers that only fit in certain special slots but then I realized all the cards you have been using have that special intel interface.

The error you are getting is related to drivers. Windows can be pretty stupid sometime when you swap hardware around. Maybe remove the card and then try to remove any wifi drivers, then if you can try to install the correct drivers before you put the card back in. You would think windows would then use that driver rather than one of its generic ones.

I doubt it is power issue the only real differnce is the chip has the ability to switch to the 6g radio band in addtion to the 2.4 and 5g. The actual maximum transmit power is the same from what I have read so it should not use more power. Although I know little about that special intel m2 slot all the other ones have standards so the laptop would always provide enough power for any card that meet the standard.

Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020

I doubt it is power issue the only real differnce is the chip has the ability to switch to the 6g radio band in addtion to the 2.4 and 5g. The actual maximum transmit power is the same from what I have read so it should not use more power. Although I know little about that special intel m2 slot all the other ones have standards so the laptop would always provide enough power for any card that meet the standard.

Thank your for your answer. I tried to uninstall the Windows 11 Wifi drivers and install the new ones. But still got an error 28. Then I found the Ax 211 drivers inside "update drivers" when I click on the device. But regardless I couldn't force-activate the card. So I thought about doing a re-install of Windows 11 to see if that worked. But not being 100% that would work either I returned the AX 211 to the store, and got my money back. And went back to running the AX 201.

So in conclusion even though the AX 201 I have and the AX 211 I had had the the same interface, and I was able to install the AX 211 physically in my machine and get a boot.
Then either the card I got was somehow defective or for some reason the ASUS bios on Expertbook P2451 couldn't work with the card. AX 211 card in short supply at computer stores I have access too. And the store I bought it at only this one card, and two - three weeks waiting to get another one.