News Intel B460 Motherboards Could Land With Overclocking Functionality

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
False Intel worries about power delivery systems (like there aren't plenty of great non Z boards that can handle 4 or 6 cores for example, and plenty of Z motherboards that can't handle 8 properly). Even they unlock the motherboards, which would be a good first step, you'll still have to pay extra for the k overclockable CPU parts, so it won't be the same as AMD anyways. Chinese motherboards (and ASRock for example) have a history of allowing something until Intel's lawyers knock it down (I'm still mad about the microcode update that ruined my Pentium Anniversary).

It would be hard to predict that many of the most sought after future models (10700K, 10900K) as having 'gobs of headroom' left for overclocking anyway. If some mythical 10900K hits with a 5300 MHz top boost speed, I'd say it would be a small miracle to hit that on all cores, much less shoot for 5.4 GHz... (I figure if they had any headroom, Intel would probably already be using it..)

Perhaps in a month, we'll know more, once real samples are reviewed...

intel blocks it by choice relating to profit.

same way they gouged ppl for $$ on cpu's thatwere barely better than others.

moment amd cameback with actual good cpus?

they cut prices by a lot as they couldnt rob ppl blindly anymore.

motherbaords are same way.
if they cant beat amd by a lot anymore they have to either change their low end (as amd is always better choice for price there) or pray their diehards make them not miss low end income and stay same as always.

AMD didn't need to lock overclocking on their recent chips : they are already pushed so close to the max, pushing them any further usually doesn't get you too far, and for the few chips they lock down (entry level Athlon CPUs) it's rather easily worked around (and it's quite telling that they didn't bother to fix it in their latest iterations). Still, even at a time when AMD was leading in performance (Athlon64), outside of a locked multiplier they really had nothing against overclocking (a 1600 MHz Sempron64 getting a 800MHz OC with its box cooler on a cheapo motherboard is SWEET - so is the 2.6 GHz Athlon II X4 620 getting pushed to 3.4 GHz on air).

But yes, Intel has really been a d*ck when in comes to overclocking; not only a locked multiplier (unlocked with K series) but a locked reference clock (on ALL chips) too ?