Intel Brings Thunderbolt To The CPU, Gives It Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Since it doesn't sound like they're opening the specification and just making it royalty free I don't think AMD would be too happy to do the same with integrating the controller on the CPU die. It sounds like Intel will have full control over future changes to the specification which I could very well see playing out as a disadvantage for AMD down the road if they sought to seriously adopt and integrate the specification into their own architecture.

goblinissimus

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
We need TB4. TB3 does not support DP1.3 or HDMI 2.1.
What we need is PCI-E 4.0 with TB4. This should have enough bandwidth for HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.5.

goblinissimus

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Too little too late.
By the time this get's integrated, PCI-E 4.0 will be out.
As TB3 can't support DP 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and HDMI 2.1, TB4 will be required for future 10bit HDR 5K and 8K displays.

JordanTH

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Are You Seriously saing just because Apple fucked USB we all need to follow? As far as I know they are the only idiots that fight against a Universal Standard that made your life simple.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

The article discussed Thunderbolt's superior functionality to USB. It also mentioned cross compatible USB / Thunderbolt type C ports.
It sounds to me like Thunderbolt may be the future of external busses. I wouldn't say that's a technology only an idiot would adopt.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I bought a brand new laptop that has one of these Thunderbolt 3 ports only to find out the OEM intentionally degraded its performance. The port runs at 20 Gb/s (2x mode rather than 4x mode) -- half the speed it should be doing. Worse, most laptops are using this same configuration leading to heavy confusion for users and a degradation of the Thunderbolt name. Intel and OEMs need to stop pulling crap like this. If you're going to advertise 40 Gb/s everywhere then the port better actually run at 40 Gb/s!

artk2219

Distinguished
Ah, so they finally somewhat wised up. When people weren't willing to pay $25 per controller (yep, that was the price of a thunderbolt 1 controller), and when the market started adopting an open and quite capable standard (usb 3.1), then they finally start seeing the light and start trying to open up the protocol. As usual, Intel can shove it for crap like this, especially if they don't actually open up the development of it and instead make everyone follow whatever guidelines they set.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
So I'm guessing this is the beginning of the end for the SATA interface. I guess the proliferation needs to start with both the SSD and motherboard manufacturers.

markk02474

Commendable
May 27, 2017
TB3 should have been implemented directly off CPU PCIe lanes from the beginning so that advertised speeds were almost achievable. Currently, TB3 is usually off the PCH which only gets 4 lanes worth total to share with SATA, USB3 etc.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
This is the worse website I have ever come across. It just lost my comment that I had to wait for it to type out a character every 10+ seconds. The comment software is just pure 'Evil' as is the divided page with other articles that reloaded with the next article so that it closed using back, and I had to hunt in history, to reload and check. Plus all the peculiar semi real new articles that lead to all sorts of undesirable things popping up on my screen. I would be terminating the contracts of whoever organised this long ago.

Any better PC sites to go too now?

Status
Not open for further replies.