Intel Buys Texas Instrument's Cable Modem Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Why is the pic of a motorola modem? And why doesn't Intel just stick to what they are really good at? At least they offered to let everyone keep their job, I just wonder if it's at 100% salary and benefits...

G

50 years ago a company called International Business Machines was really good at making typewriters...

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]csong[/nom]50 years ago a company called International Business Machines was really good at making typewriters...[/citation]
He's got a point, diversification is a pretty good way to maintain growth & stability.
Look at Sony, started making radios
Toshiba, electric lamps
Samsung, dried fish
Companies that sit around thinking their single product will last forever get a big shock very quickly, Intel is just doing what everyone else has done before.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
How "open" will all of this really be? I can`t argue with diversification, but I sincerely hope (hah) that as little proprietary product goes into these modems as possible, and we can all have fair access.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tu_illegalamigo[/nom]How "open" will all of this really be? I can`t argue with diversification, but I sincerely hope (hah) that as little proprietary product goes into these modems as possible, and we can all have fair access.[/citation]
it will bee open intel doesnt go out fo their way to make thing propriatary like apple, this im sure is for their new optical multiplexing tech. like crazy speed fiber...

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
The entire Texas Instrument cable team received offers to move over to Intel... no lost jobs at all, thumbs up to Intel for that, even if the majority of the jobs are in Israel.

[citation][nom]1pp1k10k4m1[/nom]Why is the pic of a motorola modem? And why doesn't Intel just stick to what they are really good at? At least they offered to let everyone keep their job, I just wonder if it's at 100% salary and benefits...[/citation]

IDK> I am interested in seeing what a Atom powered HTPC as a set top box can offer. I would open a huge world. Right now they are pretty much controlled. Most set top boxes have eSata or USB/Firewire and are not used. Maybe this will put the PC into the STB arena like it should be.

GIve you more capabilities including more game types and full 1080p HD streaming video....

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
How many times will they change the cable plugs to the modems? About as often as they change their sockets for their chips?

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Interesting, though I'm not so sure how far cable can go from here on. DOCSIS 3.0 is just multiple 2.0 channels bonded together.

I would rather see an actual push for fiber to the last mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.