[SOLVED] Intel Celeron N4120 performance questioning

gafonator

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
I mean, it seems a total steal of a CPU for people looking for an inexpensive stundent notebook. If it can handle 30 fps low 720p League of Legends (I've seen the review on the youtube), running 720p videos with, let's say, 5 open tabs of Mozilla in the background, I find it really great.
But is it so? Does anyone have a hands-on experience? Is it really ok for such tasks?

Solution
Any new laptop below a certain price point, say $300, is a bad buy. You should usually buy used at that point.

Paladins can run on a pc that is a decade old, given the minimum specs listed. Being able to play it at very low settings and resolution is not surprising nor does it mean that CPU is any good.

The performance problems I have with these very low end laptops is not just the CPU, its the other specs.

Often times they use EMMC storage, which is extremely slow and not very reliable. Additionally, you might get 2, maybe 4gb of ultra slow single channel DDR3l ram. Both the storage and ram are usually non upgradable, but sometimes they are.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
You could be able to play something but a notebook with a CPU like that isn't made to run games but to run regular tasks like any student would, write in Word, play some videos, listen to podcasts, participate on video calls, etc.
Having multiple instances of X open depends more on the amount of RAM rather on the CPU, if the laptop only has 4GB you can be sure W10 will eat more than half of it just to run.

Reactions: gafonator

gafonator

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
It's probably going to struggle with windows 10 smoothly. These low power atom based CPUs like this celeron are not very good.
But that seems strange. This processor and it's graphics is able to run Paladins 720p on low 30fps for example.

Any cheap laptop nowadays with minimum a 6 cores CPU and 16GB of RAM can do a lot better than that Celeron 4 cores 4 threads.
Any cheap laptop without overheating or being noisy as a vacuum cleaner doesn't have an IPS screen though :(

Any new laptop below a certain price point, say $300, is a bad buy. You should usually buy used at that point.

Paladins can run on a pc that is a decade old, given the minimum specs listed. Being able to play it at very low settings and resolution is not surprising nor does it mean that CPU is any good.

The performance problems I have with these very low end laptops is not just the CPU, its the other specs.

Often times they use EMMC storage, which is extremely slow and not very reliable. Additionally, you might get 2, maybe 4gb of ultra slow single channel DDR3l ram. Both the storage and ram are usually non upgradable, but sometimes they are.

Solution