News Intel CEO Gelsinger Says AMD Is "In the Rear-View Mirror" After Alder Lake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Counterpoint to the "gaming is not an important market" argument.

I will absolutely agree it's smaller than Enterprise as a whole, but saying "is not important" or "it doesn't matter" is a farcry from reality. Remember the gaming industry is still massive. ~300BN massive if nVidia's CES presentation is to be believed. So there's a lot of money in that pot to tap into. Intel, AMD and nVidia (among the plethora of AIBs and other companies) wouldn't spend so much money investing in "gaming" if there wasn't a lot of money to be made. Again, I do agree it is smaller than Enterprise as a whole, but by no means insignificant to dismiss it.

AMD choosing the Enterprise over the regular consumer (and specific "gaming") space must feel really painful to them. They are losing money by doing so as they can't keep up producing enough products to serve all verticals, while Intel can and is. Same with nVidia on the GPU side.

I hope that makes sense to everyone...

Regards.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Intel has PCIE gen 5, DDR5, and the fastest gaming benchmarks, appropriate for the CEO to comment on passing AMD (What else would you expect him to say???).
Will AMD stay in the rear? AM5 should also bring DDR5 and PCIE gen5, but honeslty Intel has done a much better job bringing these new features without fans needed on the chipset to support as well as better stability. Intel prices and general supply is much better as AMD completely ignores the low end(3100/3300X). Intel is pushing hard against AMD and AMD isn't doing much to react in terms of price. We'll be interesting to see how 3d cache changes the competitive landscape.

Coupled with the lackluster GPU offerings (RX6500 XT & RTX3050) . I hope Intel keeps this up and releases ARC in numbers and at a price that it causes AMD and Nvidia to have to compete again.

Exactly, gaming is not important at all to businesses or even to many many people. It’s a tiny segment of the computer using population so that idiot has nothing to brag about
In 2021 gaming had $170 Billion in revenue.

Worldwide server market revenue was $23.6 Billion in 2021 (2Q20 to 2Q21)
7.2 times smaller than the "tiny" gaming segment

For a wider comparison the movie industry generated $4.5 Billion in 2021
No doubt affected by covid but a valid comparison nonetheless.

In conclusion, gaming is not a tiny segment of the computer using population.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
In 2021 gaming had $170 Billion in revenue.

Worldwide server market revenue was $23.6 Billion in 2021 (2Q20 to 2Q21)
7.2 times smaller than the "tiny" gaming segment

For a wider comparison the movie industry generated $4.5 Billion in 2021
No doubt affected by covid but a valid comparison nonetheless.

In conclusion, gaming is not a tiny segment of the computer using population.
More than 50% of global gaming revenue is from mobile gaming. Once you pull out console revenue as well, PC gaming revenue is about 20% of the industry total. More than the server number you produced, but let's not get carried away. The PC gaming industry is not close to 7x the server market. There's probably even more asterisks here that are getting missed. As the term server market seems oddly specific. Intel's data center group has generated $18.6 billion through 3 quarters this year. That's projects to $24.8 billion for a full year for one company's enterprise division. So, the entire global server market generating only $23.6 billion doesn't sound like it's covering as much of the enterprise market as you're trying to project.

Edit: I just looked at the server revenue link you posted. That $23.6 billion number was for only one quarter (Q2 2021). You're comparing full year gaming revenue, 80% of which isn't PC gaming related, to one quarter of server market revenue.

Last edited:
More than 50% of global gaming revenue is from mobile gaming. Once you pull out console revenue as well, PC gaming revenue is about 20% of the industry total. More than the server number you produced, but let's not get carried away. The PC gaming industry is not close to 7x the server market. There's probably even more asterisks here that are getting missed. As the term server market seems oddly specific. Intel's data center group has generated $18.6 billion through 3 quarters this year. That's projects to $24.8 billion for a full year for one company's enterprise division. So, the entire global server market generating only $23.6 billion doesn't sound like it's covering as much of the enterprise market as you're trying to project.

Edit: I just looked at the server revenue link you posted. That $23.6 billion number was for only one quarter (Q2 2021). You're comparing full year gaming revenue, 80% of which isn't PC gaming related, to one quarter of server market revenue.
The way I'm read it is

"Worldwide server market revenue declined 2.5% year over year to $23.6 billion during the second quarter of 2021. (2Q21), "

Measures the server market revenue from 2Q20 (the second quarter of 2020) to 2Q21 (the second quarter of 2021) a years worth of time but starting in the 2nd quarter of each year.

The way I'm read it is

"Worldwide server market revenue declined 2.5% year over year to $23.6 billion during the second quarter of 2021. (2Q21), "

Measures the server market revenue from 2Q20 (the second quarter of 2020) to 2Q21 (the second quarter of 2021) a years worth of time but starting in the 2nd quarter of each year.
That's incorrect, otherwise they'd be comparing Fiscal Years (FY's)*. That is a direct comparison to the same 3 month period of the previous FY.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 14196

I’m not just talking about the server market I’m talking about all employees who use a computer in businesses which way out strips gaming

All business computing including servers far outpaces gamers. As I said gamers are a tiny segment compared to the rest of the world who use computers for real work or school

Reactions: VforV