Intel CEO on Competition: The Best Chip Will Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Sounds good to me, looking forward to Intel making more splashes in the mobile market.
I heard the Motorola Rzar Mi is pretty good over all, might lack a little bit in terms of battery. But considering it's the first generation and built on 32nm, we can expect Intel to bring on much better competition next year with better performance and battery with 22nm.

slow news day?
Seriously, how can you make news out of such a statement? I mean, every company thinks they have the best thing on the market, or at least a feature that makes their product in some way better than the others. When it comes down to it, x86 is where the bulk of software lives for the moment, so nobody is going to be rushing to replace their x86 systems with ARM any time soon. The much larger issue is that the software focus on smaller power efficient systems has put a virtual end to any need to upgrade existing x86 systems. Because of that saturation in the desktop market Intel is now focusing their efforts into expanding into cell phone and tablet markets, and if the benchmarks we have seen on Haswell and Atom CPUs are to be believed then ARM is in for some stiff competition very quickly, and with the next die shrink in 2014 we will start to see Intel shipping chips that can do more than ARM at the same or lower power usage.

I think Intel's bigger blind spot is in their graphics department. HD4000 is finally 'fast enough' for entry level use... but is not available on entry level chips. The Atom cell phone CPUs are freaking sweet... but the graphics bundled with them are 1/2 the speed (or less) than the competition, which is frankly unacceptable for most users. If they want to be price competitive on mobile platforms then they need to get a solid in-house graphics unit for their CPUs. They cannot continue shipping stellar mobile chips with crap GPUs, or rely on 3rd party GPUs that are too expensive for the performance they deliver. I know they are getting better... but not better enough fast enough to compete with the iGPUs that are bundled with their ARM and AMD counterparts.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Not yet arrogance, but could turn out to be. That's the most you can really say here. It's good to be confident. But sometimes a company can get too confident to the point of arrogance. That has happened to Intel in the past, and they recovered from it spectacularly. So, good luck to them for now. They are the leader and look to be holding on easily to that spot. They will keep it so long as they don't get complacent. If you're an Intel fan then hope they don't fall into the same traps they did in the past.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
It seems that most companies are walking away from X86 where Intel dominates (95%) and are focused on ARM low power chips for tablets and phones.

I forsee that if ARM does not get built on the processing technology similiar to Intel has than it will be nothing but a memory. Newer Fabs offers lower costs, power consumption and increased speeds which regardless of ARM's benefits it will lose due to profitability.

Buy Intel stock now while its dirt cheap, by the end of 2013 Intel will likely have 1000% increase in market share for mobile markets and likely Apple will switch over completely.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Not yet arrogance, but could turn out to be. That's the most you can really say here. It's good to be confident. But sometimes a company can get too confident to the point of arrogance. That has happened to Intel in the past, and they recovered from it spectacularly. So, good luck to them for now. They are the leader and look to be holding on easily to that spot. They will keep it so long as they don't get complacent. If you're an Intel fan then hope they don't fall into the same traps they did in the past.[/citation]
I didn't really see any arrogance here either. Sounded more confident, that yes Intel can dominate. He wasn't gloating over the fact that Intel has more market share than AMD, or that Intel's high-end is out of AMD's reach for now.

I actually think ARM behaves more arrogantly towards Intel, making very public comments on how Intel won't be able to penetrate their market.

I know they are getting better... but not better enough fast enough to compete with the iGPUs that are bundled with their ARM and AMD counterparts.
The Clover Trail SoCs have much better GPUs, PowerVR 544/545 iirc. That's >= the VR 543 variant in Apple's A6.
But yeah they need HD-4000 level graphics in those Atoms. Probably happen next year when they release the 22nm Atoms.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
May the best value chips win. No marketing to sweeten the deals. No strong-arm tactics to put pressure on distributors/retailers. And definitely no lawyers please.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
yea...

"People come and go, and we’ve never had an exclusive, if you will. And, overall, the best chip has won."

no... amd should be FAR further ahead than they are now, but intel went monopoly when amd was dominating intel. if the best chip really won there... amd wouldn't be moving away from the desktop today.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Sounds good to me, looking forward to Intel making more splashes in the mobile market.I heard the Motorola Rzar Mi is pretty good over all, might lack a little bit in terms of battery. But considering it's the first generation and built on 32nm, we can expect Intel to bring on much better competition next year with better performance and battery with 22nm.[/citation]

:D Hahahaha.... might lack a little bit in terms of battery.... hahahahah... you know how to joke! BATTERY is the most important feature of a mobile device ;)

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
best chip doesn't always win. it's how many companies you can bully into submission to restrict the competition that wins more often (ie. K7)

G

Device manufacturers will price chips (CPUs) to see what will get the job done for the cheepest price, choose the product based on price/performence ratio, and build their products! most of the devices
that are used do not need the hi performence Intel CPUs to get the job done. The Processing power
of ARM chips has been sufficient to get the job done for most people for some time now, and processors
are now more of a commodity, like pork bellys! The real race is not in the CPU but in the GPU, and the GPU paired with x86 or ARM, along with HSA and energy efficiency, will be what shapes the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.