Intel CEO Unveils x86 Moorestown Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gian124

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
likely the forward facing cam is for video conferencing, skype / IM programs, etc... since it is described more as a MID than a phone.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
X86 main advantage is compatibility with windows. It is 2010, do we really need legacy instruction sets from the 1970's in our modern devices running linux?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Nice picture of Otellini, shame about no picture of the actual phoneI did find some already elsewhere but its a bit rude posting a link to a rival tech website[/citation]Not really considering most articles here are "So-and-So reports..."

It's just as powerful as a NVidia Tegra (based on spec capabilities listed in this article). With NVidia coming with the Tegra 2, will it keep up?

G

"Intel chips to mobile phones comes as Atom chips begin to see some serious competition in the netbook space"

Yea, not really. Are there other options, yes... is anyone buying them... no.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
So when are we going to start seeing 1Ghz Ti-109 calculators with 512MB flash memory? It's not fair phones get all the glory I want a super computer in my math class in the palm of my hand :D

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Does that mean we can take two pictures at the same time??j/k...or am i?[/citation]Actually I think that would be pretty damn cool. Or how about live video? So you can see what's behind you? :eek:)

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
[citation][nom]ionut19[/nom]"the LG-manufactured" -LG don't usually make durable phones. At list from what i have seen. I mean most of the models.[/citation]

Doesn’t Mather because all actual x86 processor’s have a module to convert x86 to reduced instructions set, the processor module is to similar RISC, and the module is short in the processor DIE if you remove the module is not a big difference.
For mobile phone I prefer ARM core

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]X86 main advantage is compatibility with windows. It is 2010, do we really need legacy instruction sets from the 1970's in our modern devices running linux?[/citation]
[citation][nom]ionut19[/nom]"the LG-manufactured" -LG don't usually make durable phones. At list from what i have seen. I mean most of the models.[/citation]

Doesn’t Mather because all actual x86 processor’s have a module to convert x86 to reduced instructions set, the processor module is to similar RISC, and the module is short in the processor DIE if you remove the module is not a big difference.
For mobile phone I prefer ARM core

G

2 cams, one high def cam (most likely 3Mpix) for photo's and video's, and one low def cam (most likely 1.3mpix) for video conf.
Technically you could be able to take 2 pics at the same time, with some soft, but what would the purpose for that be?

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Actually I think that would be pretty damn cool. Or how about live video? So you can see what's behind you? )[/citation]

It's not some super x-ray camera you know....

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
"X86 main advantage is compatibility with windows. It is 2010, do we really need legacy instruction sets from the 1970's in our modern devices running linux?"

Who cares what the instruction set is as long as the device works well? It's just too bad it won't run Windows 7, there would be a lot of software available for this platform right out of the gate if it did.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Actually I think that would be pretty damn cool. Or how about live video? So you can see what's behind you? )[/citation]

Lol isn' that the truth... TI is making a killing on 20 year old tech.... you would think that they would really update their graphing calculators or cut the price in half or more...

They are really out dated... I am sure you have seen the $300 HP graphic calculators that are out there...

My next TI 89 or 92 needs to have an atom processor and be running windows 7 netbook edition on a 720p 16bit color display and cost $50

What a scam they have running with all the high schools requiring them...

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
^^^^ and the graphing calculator app needs to run 10 times faster and compute 100x more complex math than the current model does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS