News Intel China Makes Raptor Lake Refresh Official

it doesn’t explain why Intel is not switching to its newly announced Core Ultra nomenclature instead.

The ULTRA nomenclature would only be used by the Meteor Lake/MTL chips, that's why they are not using it on Raptor Lake/RPL Refresh family.

The "Core Ultra" branding will allow us to differentiate between Meteor Lake & Raptor-Lake U Refresh, which are releasing under the SAME generation. As it suggests, the word "Ultra" gives a sense of high performance; hence, this will be utilized for the superior Meteor Lake series.

The Raptor Lake-U lineup will come with Core 3/5/7 branding without the "i". The Raptor Lake HX/S refresh will have the same old naming scheme.

So this is what Intel is doing if I understand the slide correctly:
  • Raptor Lake-S Refresh (Desktop) - 14th Gen "Core i" Branding
  • Raptor Lake-HX Refresh (Laptop) - 14th Gen "Core i" Branding
  • Meteor Lake-U/H (Laptop Client) - 1st Gen "Core Ultra" Branding
  • Raptor Lake-U/H Refresh (Laptop) - 1st Gen "Core" Branding'
Or more like:
  • Core Ultra 5/7/9 – Meteor Lake
  • Core 3/5/7 – Raptor Lake-U Refresh
  • 14th Gen Core i# Mobile/Desktop – Raptor Lake HX/S Refresh

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, Golden Cove is becoming like the new Skylake core. This is the second "tock", after Alder Lake's "tick". Only two more tocks to go, before matching Skylake!

These 14th gen will be made on the Intel 7++ node, only they don't dare call it that!
Arrow lake is coming.

The ULTRA nomenclature would only be used by the Meteor Lake/MTL chips, that's why they are not using it on Raptor Lake/RPL Refresh family.
I think the question there was why call it "first" and not 14th gen just like the others.
On the other hand this is chinese people we talk about and maybe google translated ultra into chinese for being the first.

I think the question there was why call it "first" and not 14th gen just like the others.
On the other hand this is chinese people we talk about and maybe google translated ultra into chinese for being the first.

No actually, Meteor Lake series would indeed have this naming convention: 1st Gen "Core Ultra" Branding. They won't have the 14th gen naming scheme, and I'm sure this naming scheme is final. Those Chinese slides also seem OK to me.

Are you confusing with this naming scheme, or something else ?

BTW, I'm pretty sure Intel is opting the ULTRA naming scheme to deal with the overlap of a significantly newer architecture with an older gen architecture already being in the market.

So when Intel's Core Ultra branding takes effect, users will be able to tell "Meteor Lake/refresh" based SKUs apart from those based on "Raptor Lake," but looking for the Ultra brand. This might also help to transition the market between processor arch generations, and also to improve the inventory digestion, IMO.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
"Ice Lake cometh", said Intel of yore.

I hope we don't go down that road, again. But, you simply can't deny that it looks awfully bad for Intel not only to be refreshing Raptor Lake for the desktop, but for mobile SKUs, as well!

What's going on, huh?
It couldn't be poor yield on Intel 4, could it? shhh... don't say it too loud or investors might get angry.

Reactions: bit_user
No actually, Meteor Lake series would indeed have this naming convention: 1st Gen "Core Ultra" Branding. They won't have the 14th gen naming scheme, and I'm sure this naming scheme is final. Those Chinese slides also seem OK to me.

Are you confusing with this naming scheme, or something else ?

BTW, I'm pretty sure Intel is opting the ULTRA naming scheme to deal with the overlap of a significantly newer architecture with an older gen architecture already being in the market.

So when Intel's Core Ultra branding takes effect, users will be able to tell "Meteor Lake/refresh" based SKUs apart from those based on "Raptor Lake," but looking for the Ultra brand. This might also help to transition the market between processor arch generations, and also to improve the inventory digestion, IMO.
I just think that it would be weird, it's still 'core' so it should still be 14th (or whatever) gen core just with the ultra added on.
It's not the first gen of core, it's only the first gen of ultra, to call it 1st gen they would have to drop the 'core' completely and name it something else.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wonder how the refresh will increase performance.
3 CPU gen on one socket from Intel ? is this a 1st for Intel :ROFLMAO:
They almost used the same socket from Skylake -> Coffee Lake R (4 generations), except for a trivial pin difference and a change in the power spec between Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake.

I remember reading about some industrial board that actually supported all 4 gens of CPUs in a single socket, except that it was limited to just the 65 W models or something like that.