Intel Claims Core Microprocessors Saved World Economy $2 Billion In Energy Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Youmight almost say,because intel has been slow-step increasing processor's powerdraw over the past 20 years,it may have gone unnoticed how much electricity because of then is being used today.
Instead of creating processors on a smaller die,and try to keep powerdraw as low as possible, they often increased powerdraw in favor for cpu speed.

Atom dualcore is a processor that will probably replace many of the Core2Duo and older singlecore machines out there!
The TDP might be double of the Atom single core, but it can do nearly everything a normal user needs(appart from gaming or CPU intensive tasks),including running Vista,which was just too slow for the single core Atom.

Remember that the average Core2Duo has a TDP of arround 40W, someless, some more. and some have a TDP of over 100Watts.
That'd be the same as running 12 atom cores on one system!

aldo_gg

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I would say, AMD saved the world 3 billion in Energy Cost by creating the Athlon 64 as it was the initial seed that started all.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]aldo_gg[/nom]I would say, AMD saved the world 3 billion in Energy Cost by creating the Athlon 64 as it was the initial seed that started all.[/citation]

Then negated all their previous efforts with Phenom.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
P4's are obsolete and should their way into the nearest trash bin. :)

I would like to see an energy test round up with P4's, C2D's, Athlon XP's, early gen AMD64 and Current gen AMD64(AM2 & AM2+).

G

So this statistic pretty much means that if nobody had upgraded their servers since 2003, this is how much more electricity would've been wasted? Intel quads and northbridges tend to waste quite a bit of electricity TBH.

G

yeah right!!!...they save from their own once power hungry processor....its not a save but a somewhat recover ....lol

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]
Remember that the average Core2Duo has a TDP of arround 40W, someless, some more. and some have a TDP of over 100Watts.That'd be the same as running 12 atom cores on one system![/citation]
While probably being more powerful than 12 Atoms too. :lol:

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom][/citation]
Remember that the TDP of a Phenom is less than alot of Intel Quads... of course the Intels chips take less time to do the same thing, but the Phenoms still have a leser max TDP and the Chipset draws less power.

majmac

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Sounds like normal Intel marketing spin. They need to keep their name in people's minds and saying something like this is cheap advertising as it is picked up everywhere. Now, perhaps the next press release will be how their CPUs add to the individual happiness index and promotes world peace! Turning off the computer at the wall when not being actively used and not using it to play games will save a lot more power.

G

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of a Atom2core. Not for mininotebooks though, but for desktop, since I like many others out there don't really play games anymore.
Besides the CPU gamingmarket hasn't got much to offer anymore. The only games produced are Doom and Quake clones (which I was never a fan of)with higher graphics.

Plus many gaming companies go bankrupt or refuse to produce games for the pc feeling that they are more copied illegal than on gamingsystems.
And thus shifting their attention to the gamingsystems like nintendo, Sega, XBox and Playstation.

Games of these caliber can easely be played on a Atom dualcore with dual DDR and a Radeon3850 installed.
I understand the most powerfull pc's are necessary to play crisis, but I think the majority of people just don't play that kind of games.

The only con is, that intel prides itself on a lower TDP on the processor, but in return the Northbridge consumes lots more power than average for such devices.
Intel would do good with the release of the dualcore Atom, to release a Northbridge on 45nm, supporting the fastest memory, and have a system that's able to display HD movies (although the majority of people are not using their PC to view HD movies).

The Atom is quite the bang for the bucks too, if you consider regular office tasks, and occasional multimedia.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Saving energy will not save money in the long run. Energy companies are profit making companies. If the population begins to use less energy, the companies will simply raise the energy prices in order to show maintained or increased profits. You may save the enviroment in a near future, which is good. But you will not save your bucks.

Alien_959

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Still Core or Athlon/Phenom may be using more power than Atom but thay do tasks several times faster exept in idle conditions there is not much difference. But for everyday tasks music, internet granted Atom is an intresting part- ( When they are going to make descent chipset for Atom?)

Status
Not open for further replies.