News Intel Claws Back Desktop PC and Notebook Market Share From AMD for the First Time in Three Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jim90

Distinguished
"Intel has wrested away desktop PC and notebook market share from AMD for the first time in three years. "

--> Look at the graphs. This is pandemic related. Nothing more, nothing less, and was predicted - and guaranteed to happen - upon the first lockdown. Nothing to see, move on.
  1. We are in a pandemic. Folks are spending more time at home, many also working from home.
  2. The huge majority of those who purchase PC's - especially Laptops - have always lacked the skills to correctly/optimally select. However, the majority do know the 'Intel inside' branding.
  3. Intel still has a huge visibility everywhere, particularly with all those oem contracts with mass products tied to all the large bricks 'n mortar / online stores.
Put all three together and guess what most of those those working from home are gonna need as a 'basic' requirement, guess which company will benefit most...??

What we are now seeing is Intel marketing ramping up on this 'news' - contacting everyone they have influence with in order to push this out. We can also see the usual suspects...paid shills...pushing their scripts in this very thread.

--> It is very important that for balance, the unique situation over which this is happening is also conveyed. A nod to steps 2 and 3 above won't go amiss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
wow, intel fanboys sure are blind. part of the reason why intel clawed anything back, was only because of amd's supply issues.
Funny, that specific point was made in nearly every post before yours, by those same "fanboys". Guess you'd have to be blind to not have seen it, eh?

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
is that why most fanboys when talking about intels process says its 14nm is equal or better then TSMC's 7 ?
I don't believe anyone has ever said Intel's 14nm node is "equal or better" than TSMC's N7. However, in both transistor density and performance it's closer to TSMC's N7 than it is to TSMC's N14, which is the point people generally try to make. The "size" nomenclature is essentially marketing these days, not an indication of actual feature size.

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
wow, intel fanboys sure are blind. part of the reason why intel clawed anything back, was only because of amd's supply issues. if amd were able to supply enough cpus to all of those that wanted one, this story could of been vastly different. its awesome that it seems like now the only reply most intel fanboys have now against amd, is their supply issues.
will intel die cause of a strong amd ? of course not. will/is intel hurting cause of a strong amd ? of course they are.
AMD market share gains were also mostly due to Intel's supply issues when the Fab42 (10nm) took more time to come online than they expected. But such supply issue for Intel is not common since they own their fabs and mitigate supply/demand fluctuations. AMD on the other hand can't control that.

You might try to argue that it is due to performance. Well, it is not. Here's why. The halo top of the line CPUs are a very small fraction of the market. The market share battle happens at the mid range where Intel has competitive product. The price for these products are controlled by supply/demand where Intel has a clear advantage.

Finally I am happy to see AMD competitive. I use both AMD and Intel products and love the competition that produce better products at a cheaper price. The above comment is just to present the reality of the situation since many people are counting out Intel altogether.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
TSMC is not the only fab around with the cutting edge fab which is why you probably saw some rumors of AMD potentially diversifying their chip production over at Samsung. Intel may have blocked AMD, but it comes with a substantial cost to them as well. Going for cutting edge fab is not cheap when they are competing with Apple with even deeper pockets and a strategic partner for TSMC vs a temporary client (Intel).

The problem with AMD is that they seem to turn their backs on the older 12nm process for the value cpus. As a result we don't see much AMD 2000 cpus or 3000 notebook apu's. They could've made more money and gain more marketshare by asking Globalfoundries to pump out more cpu's for the value segment.

D

Deleted member 14196

I still will never buy intel for any reason. They are a bunch of slackers That need to get kicked in the arse to do anything and they rape people on their prices. They can’t even get their 10 nm process down LOL what’s that gonna take 40 years?

It's ONLY going to get worse for AMD moving forward, APPLE pre-purchased (locked-up) 100% of TSMC's 5nm nodes for 2021 so AMD will get 0.0% of that capacity this year and most likely 2022 as well. Intel apparently locked up the rest of TSMC's 3nm nodes for 2023.
I don't think this is correct. Apple locked up early production of TSMC N5, prior to the latest A14 and M1 chips being launched -- which could have been all N5 capacity in 2020. However, there's no indication I've seen that Apple has 100% of TSMC N5 for the entirety of 2021. That would be really stupid of TSMC to do anyway -- "We make chips for everyone, as long as it's Apple!" We do know other companies are working on N5 chip designs as well. Will they launch this year? Maybe not, but if not it's more likely due to the need to test/validate/debug and build up inventory before launch.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
It seems like its not a thing of AMD starting to be weaker than intel, its just a problem that currently finding amd laptops with good config that does not double the cost is a problem, in laptops at least.

I see a lot of 4300u's that are ok, and they cost to value in general is awesome.
Then there are SOME 4500u's that in general should be enough but I am not happy with other pieces and as I move from 4/8 i7 it wont be as much of a difference as I hoped to get.
4600u is an urban myth, never seen one.
4700u's are fine but price is like 2x of 4300u configs and as far as I can tell, spec is identical.
4800u I've only seen on some lenowo crapware, which by experience will fall apart in 1.5years.
I ordered asus with 4800u's just before year-end and still did not receive it.

Can we talk about the QC of the AMD laptop platforms as well. I purchased a HP 4500U for the CPU performance, then got another HP 4700U for around the same price. Great platform but severe issues with Zoom/Skype calls where it drops out. So much so that the family isn't using the new laptops but an ancient 4th Gen intel and 8th gen Intel laptop for these meetings. Drivers are updated but the bugs still exist and the inconsistent experience ruins the laptop for any serious use case.

Reactions: Rdslw

cleavet

Honorable
Aug 17, 2017
I don't think this is correct. Apple locked up early production of TSMC N5, prior to the latest A14 and M1 chips being launched -- which could have been all N5 capacity in 2020. However, there's no indication I've seen that Apple has 100% of TSMC N5 for the entirety of 2021. That would be really stupid of TSMC to do anyway -- "We make chips for everyone, as long as it's Apple!" We do know other companies are working on N5 chip designs as well. Will they launch this year? Maybe not, but if not it's more likely due to the need to test/validate/debug and build up inventory before launch.

Reports I've seen indicate that Apple bought 80% of TSMC's 5nm capacity for 2021.

TSMC also plans to put $25B to $28B into capital spending this year, including beginning construction of a new US foundry in Arizona. 2022 should be a banner production year. Maybe some future CEO will prefer to exploit demand and not invest in innovation and production but for now Dr. Mark Liu has other ideas.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Not surprising considering you can't really get a Zen3 CPU from AMD right now. Sad, because it's a nice CPU, but by the time AMD gets enough supply they will be up against Alder Lake and all that momentum could be lost.

Reminds me of the old Core 2 days when AMD looked like it was ready to take over the crown, ran into supply issues and Intel was able to jump over the lead AMD had built up.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Supply issue aside...market correction.

Here we are in a place where AMD made huge gains against Intel by offering more cores, and more importantly, insane value at price per core. Everyone lost their minds. The status quo was broken. Suddenly 4 core 8 thread processors were low end and everything lower value or less. AMD made huge strides for offering the value that any Ultra Maroon could see.

THEN AMD got greedy. The value proposition is now gone for a processor that barely exceeds Intel in performance and tends to be more finicky. Then Karma slaps them upside the head with supply issues that amount to the appearance of a paper launch.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
THEN AMD got greedy. ... Then Karma slaps them upside the head with supply issues
AMD didn't "get" greedy. Then and now, they have always tried to maximize their profits -- as does Intel, and every other corporation on the planet, and nearly every single individual as well. By how you define the term, the moment AMD stops being "greedy", their CEO should be instantly fired, and replaced with a more sensible manager. Offering a better product at a better price is smart. But offering a much better product at a much lower price is only a winning strategy in certain short-term fringe situations.

As for your belief that some sort of cosmic entity is now punishing AMD for their hubris, I can only say that, despite thousands of years of such a belief, we've yet to see any evidence of it.

Really hard to say right now with everything selling out on both sides. (And and intel). There is no excess inventory anywhere and intel admittingly does have a huge fab capacity advantage. AMD unit sales are up and CPUs are still no where to be found. So what does that tell you?

It will be interesting to see who has more excess stock first.

Last edited:

gaborbarla

Distinguished
The ryzen 5600X is almost double what my 3600 cost (at least where I stay) in 2019, and while I am keen on upgrading another PC I also might go with an 11 series intel due to the rocketing of the price.

Can we talk about the QC of the AMD laptop platforms as well. I purchased a HP 4500U for the CPU performance, then got another HP 4700U for around the same price. Great platform but severe issues with Zoom/Skype calls where it drops out. So much so that the family isn't using the new laptops but an ancient 4th Gen intel and 8th gen Intel laptop for these meetings. Drivers are updated but the bugs still exist and the inconsistent experience ruins the laptop for any serious use case.
That's true, I keep cursing on some realtek driver that windows just loves to break literally every day. I literally had some driver scanner software to fix what Windows update break every day for my parents.
BUT overall, I had used 2700u HP for few hours and it was a true fight with drivers, 3500u is with my sister and my parents, and both have sound issues from above.
So I feel like they make progress in good direction here, and I have high hopes for me and 5800u If I find a good config....

Reactions: cyrusfox