Intel Compute Stick Available For Preorder At $149

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
this far into the year and they're NOT putting Cherry Trail chips in it? is there something wrong with those chips and heat/power or is intel, again being lazy and just raking in more money on whatever tech's laying on the shelf because not enough competition?
i wonder how this would compare to using, say, an nVidia K1-generation chip?

I have been looking at the Amazon and Roku streaming sticks, but this device would probably be the way to go. Of course it costs a little more, but it'll do everything and more than those streaming sticks. I can't wait to see some reviews on this device.

I've seen the linux version with specs of 8GB/1GB RAM for $89. Also seen a 16/1GB linux version. Not sure if its just a few variations or this thing is highly customizable. There is also info on a side slot expansion for 128GB storage.

If Intel would kindly send me one, I'd happily accept it and do a review of it. Just for you, of course! :) I mean, it is Intel we're talking about- surely they could spare one, right? :whistle:

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This device looks pretty handy for a mobile HTPC. There has been many times I have been at a family member/friends house and none of their devices are capable of USB Media playback.

Looks like it is also capable of light casual gaming as well, according to some Atom Z3735F benchmarks it can run slightly older games at lowest details. Pretty decent capability for what the device is.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
The presence of a fan seems a bit weird, why not make some or all of the case metal and passively cool it? Even if it added a little extra to cost it'd still be pretty good value.

G

I've seen a very similar device to this, same specs and same cpu, for $108 USD. The only difference is the cheaper device has passive cooling, which I prefer anyway.

To have a sub-10 watt computer that fits in a pocket, for a little over $100. What a time we live in!

I suspect the Intel stick is the hardware left-overs from their OTT TV service, Cue-Ball :lol: Sometimes, you have to swing and miss before hitting into a double-fail :ouch:

There is not a lot of market, here. It's not really portable. The 2013 Bay Trail (fail) Atom has less graphics performance than the old original AMD Bobcat and takes a pounding from low-watt Haswell. Limited connectivity -- no screen -- no storage -- old tech.

It goes head-to-head with little cost advantage against against better SFF tech: Z-Boxes and NUCs, not to mention Chromebooks or, even, gasp, a Shield console for streaming media and games.

For a 'Nix Stick it's probably a little pricey. Knock that baby back to $69, and you've still got bad graphics, limited connectivity, no screen, no storage and old tech.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I've seen a very similar device to this, same specs and same cpu, for $108 USD. The only difference is the cheaper device has passive cooling, which I prefer anyway.

I assume the $108 device is the MeeGoPad T01. Note that it doesn't come with a valid Windows 8.1 license, whereas the Intel Compute Stick does.

Also, you can find YouTube reviews on that device that show it throttles compared to Z3735F with proper cooling.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Awesome, I was thinking of building a home theater PC but I think I will buy this instead and finally have a better use for my unused NAS lol. This should also be a great option for those wanting to use Steam's streaming feature or make this into a "steam stick".

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Hook up a phone charger to power this thing, use HDMI to connect to display with 4 port USB hub, add keyboard and mouse, and there you have one tiny little desktop with three extra USB ports to use for whatever you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.