Intel Compute Stick Available For Preorder At $149

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No, not that device. The device I'm talking about does have a valid Windows 8.1 licence. It doesn't have a name. I'd link it, but I'm not going to advertise for them. There is another device for 120$, same specs but 64 GB storage AND internal battery with 3 hours approx time, a little bigger, called the Voyo Mini PC. Not sure if that one has active or passive cooling.

The device I was originally talking about has aluminium casing. Not sure if it throttles or not. Probably. But I like zero moving parts, silent and failure-proof.

Calvin Huang

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
A retro game emulator in your pocket? Consider me sold. Now I want the release date.

Raspberry pi has been out forever it can do that too and cheaper.
Raspberry Pi uses ARM processors, which won't even run a mobile version of Windows as of yet. You might be able to play some retro console games, but you wouldn't be able to play most PC games.

Engerek01

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
Hi Guys. I am first time hearing about this technology and i am wondering a few things. Does this stick mean that you plug it into your Flat TV or big screen and you have a computer? And Also how do they handle mouse or keyboard?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi Guys. I am first time hearing about this technology and i am wondering a few things. Does this stick mean that you plug it into your Flat TV or big screen and you have a computer? And Also how do they handle mouse or keyboard?

Yes it plugs into a HDMI-port in your display or TV. It has a full sized USB-port for peripherals.

glassice

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
excuse me to ask this but i was wondering if it's a tiny computer device, where we should plug the USB Port ?
i mean it's a USB Stick right ? so, where should we hook that port ?

Sophus Noerby

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
excuse me to ask this but i was wondering if it's a tiny computer device, where we should plug the USB Port ?
i mean it's a USB Stick right ? so, where should we hook that port ?

No it's not an USB stick. A HDMI stick an a bit lager. Compare it to a small mobile phone.
So the real problem is, does intel expect us to carrie around keyboard and mouse? Even though I definetely going to preorder this, to see how if it can produce a portable computer between my home and work(using a laptop now and was thinking about replacing it with a surface Pro 3).

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
this far into the year and they're NOT putting Cherry Trail chips in it? is there something wrong with those chips and heat/power or is intel, again being lazy and just raking in more money on whatever tech's laying on the shelf because not enough competition?

My man, chill out. Developing a chip and building a product around a chip are different things. It takes time, lab testing, QA, etc. Intel showed us units at CES, which means they were working on this last year.

Also, to quote the article: "Intel hinted that Cherry Trail and Core M processor variants may make their way to market."

glassice

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

ow, i see, thanks my friend and yes it might be a good idea to use it between home and work of course you probably have keyboard at both places, the only problem is that if you have lot's of data you also need to obtain an external drive and carry that too

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS