Intel Confirms 25nm NAND Flash for New SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It'll drive the prices of other memory down, but the price of This particular memory would cost more? or does price go down when size decreases (less resources needed?)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
So it can hold 2,000 songs.
Seeing that, even at $.99/song, nobody can afford to pay that much to fill it up this is clearly promoting the use of illegaly copied music. Now let's see how long it will take for RIAA lawyers to come to that conclusion and start banning advertisers and tech reviewers to comment on the number of -illegal- songs a device can handle.

After all, now that they got Usenet pretty much shut down they have some free time and billable hours available to search for a new target :)

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I've been waiting to get a ssd. but the price of my left arm and possibly more depending on the drive has kept me at bay. Hopefully these new processes will make the technology more affordable.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]So it can hold 2,000 songs.Seeing that, even at $.99/song, nobody can afford to pay that much to fill it up this is clearly promoting the use of illegaly copied music. Now let's see how long it will take for RIAA lawyers to come to that conclusion and start banning advertisers and tech reviewers to comment on the number of -illegal- songs a device can handle.After all, now that they got Usenet pretty much shut down they have some free time and billable hours available to search for a new target :)[/citation]
Yes, it's so obvious to me now, bigger hard drives costing less money is clearly promoting illegal downloading. Someone should have pointed this out to the MPAA and the RIAA years ago before those pesky HDD manufacturers pumped out 2Tb drives for less than $130 a pop. This is an outrage.
Someone should write a letter to their Congressman
Or the President
SOMEONE CALL THE ARMY!!!!!
CIVIL WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Gen3 Intel drives?
Is it really happening?
Finally?
Already?
It's been this long already?

YAY!

If you excuse me, I have to go cancel my the lease on my house so I can go buy a few of RAID those bad muthas!

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]So it can hold 2,000 songs.Seeing that, even at $.99/song, nobody can afford to pay that much to fill it up this is clearly promoting the use of illegaly copied music. Now let's see how long it will take for RIAA lawyers to come to that conclusion and start banning advertisers and tech reviewers to comment on the number of -illegal- songs a device can handle.After all, now that they got Usenet pretty much shut down they have some free time and billable hours available to search for a new target :)[/citation]

I'm sorry, but I missed the part in the article where it says that the 2,000 songs needed to be purchased from iTunes or downloaded illegally. I guess you have never purchased a CD, or "compact disc", in the past 2 decades. These "compact discs" contain music, and you can create digital copies for backup purposes. And the best part is these copies are completely legal!

/mockingly

Oh, and if you truly are someone who appreciates and enjoys music, spending close to $2,000 over the course of a year on music is not really a stretch...

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Since 25nm holds twice the data of 32nm, manufacturing costs will be almost half of the gen2s, so expect cheaper, faster, higher-capacity SSDs. :)

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Yes, it's so obvious to me now, bigger hard drives costing less money is clearly promoting illegal downloading. Someone should have pointed this out to the MPAA and the RIAA years ago before those pesky HDD manufacturers pumped out 2Tb drives for less than $130 a pop. This is an outrage.Someone should write a letter to their CongressmanOr the PresidentSOMEONE CALL THE ARMY!!!!!CIVIL WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/sarcasm[/citation]

You guys should stop giving them ideas. I know you were joking but I would bet there's some jackass in an riaa office pitching this idea to his boss right now!

What's with rating something by the number of songs it can hold anyway, that's kind of arbitrary; over the years I've seen mp3's under a meg and some over 50mb....

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Prices won't drop until heavy demand increases or production is way over demand. Right now they are meeting demand at a high price point and making money. It's in Intel's best interest to sell more small chips than few large chips when each chip means the same dollar profit. This keeps demand inflated so they don't strip out their market.

Eventually the SSD market will kill the rest of this chips market (phone, camera, music player, usb flash drive, etc) when price and capacity mirror traditional magnetic platter drives. I am predicting that someone will break the current stalemate and I seriously doubt it will be Intel.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I wish they'd just give more tech specs instead of pretending they know how many "songs" or "pictures" will fit on a chip. Certainly not my FLAC songs or RAW pictures. Might as well measure things by wheel-barrel and elephant height if we're going to pick numbers out of our business end.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Well the way i see it smaller chips means more chips per platter if its done simular to processors lest waste ya know all that so that means its cost the same to make twice as many chips which means the cost of each chip should be 25% less than its predessesor becuase the substrate that there using to create the memory costs the same regardless.. Or am i off in left field here ?

titdoctor

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Every1 keep dreamin this will bring prices down. Like intel would really try competing with itself. That's not the way you make money. I wouldn't consider 20-50$ a big price drop maybe 100-200$

ereuter71

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
The most important spec for the latest 2Xnm generation of NAND flash is the number of erase cycles. As the NAND shrinks, so does the lifetime (number of erase cycles). The manufacturers will be happy to quietly gloss over this, unless the media and the users demand to know this spec.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So not only will you be able to fit more bits in a chip, the yields should be better since we're dealing with less silicon. Unless the yields are substantially better, I don't see the price of these new gen drives dropping low enough to completely replace platters. We will probably be seeing a ton more people with SSD boot drives though!

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Goody goody maybe this will drive prices down a bit.[/citation]
Prices??? SSD prices are already very cheap. What we need is better performance. Today's SSD's give good IOPS, but the throughput is inconsistent. Also the capacities are very small. Prices are fine, I just want more space and more consistent performance. SSD will remain a niche product until then.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]And you know it's a real picture of a chip due to the cool rainbow effect![/citation]
Right. Because you can't do that with Photoshop.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
25nm is double the areal density of the previous 32nm chips. So right off the bat, this should allow for SSD's that are twice the size of current models.

Status
Not open for further replies.