News Intel Confirms Sapphire Rapids Coming to Workstations

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
I've seen other leaks about these including chips down to 12 cores, and with choice of 4 or 8 memory channels. Nice to see Intel reviving this market.

Reactions: cyrusfox

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Good!

This means AMD will be now hard pressed to actually put ThreadRipper back into the "middle ground". I want those sweet sweet 4+ memory channels and glorious obscene number of PCIe lanes :D

Regards!

This!
Hopefully AMD will get a good decent kick and make Threadripper again what it was.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, the entire stack is all using just the same LGA 4677 socket, right? Because it seems like a waste for the monolithic versions with <= 24 cores to have a full 8 memory channels when they only use 4. Also, with only 64 PCIe lanes connected, the other 48 lanes' worth are just dead pins & motherboard traces.

I'd consider a 16-core or 24-core version, but not if the motherboard alone is going to cost me like > $1k, mostly for PCIe lanes and memory channels I can't use.

Socket is the thing no leaks have addressed one way or the other AFAIK. While the monolithic CPUs will be quite a bit less to manufacture the motherboard situation is the big question. Even if boards are made for 4ch and fewer lanes they're still going to be quite expensive if they're using that LGA 4677 socket (I'd assume these would start around $400-500).