[SOLVED] intel core 2 cpu 6320 @1.86ghz 1.86 ghz whats the fastest cpu i can upgrade too

Jan 27, 2021
This will be the first time i have done a CPU so any help and tips would be helpful
I know it a old mother board but its been a great machine till now due to limited speed
used to be able to play war thunder but even they want more CPU spreed
i have just bumped up to a zotek NVIDIA GT 1030 with 2gb graphics card
and would love to upgrade the CPU
OS is win 7 64bit i also sometimes boot into a 2nd hd, which is XP for older programs

so any help would be appreciated
VAN

Solution
Your motherboard shoud be able to take in a newer Core 2 Duo or even Core 2 Quad (the Yorkfield 45nm kind) without much issues - I would suggest going for either E8600 if you want to stick to 2 cores or even some of the Q95XX, for some more demanding workloads (up to 1333MhZ FSB).
That said, I would recommend checking if the PSU is up for the replacement (did a replacement where there was a stupid cheap A$$ FSP "450W" PSU that fried the motherboard when I replaced the Pentium E5700 just with a C2D E8600 with the same TDP) since the Quad Core tends to draw more power (rated mostly at 95W for the Quads vs 65W of the Duos).

Personally I would still probably go for Q9xxx if my PSU could handle it since nowadays many applications and even...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You misunderstand, I think. The motherboard is important because (especially with those old lga775 boards) it determines exactly which cpu it will and will not accept.

You have an intel DG33FB (G33 chipset), which means it can socket Intel Xeon, core2 duo, core2 quad, Pentium and Celeron dual core cpus.

For a full list, scroll down to G33 chipset and follow the DG33FB link HERE.

Whether you can actually find the exact cpu you want, vrs what's actually available and budget affordable is a different story

Reactions: Vanman120
Yep, seems like that board could take almost anything for lga775 including the xeons. You can move up to even a very cheap and available q6600 and get a serious boost in single thread performance and cores. If two cores are enough, I'd see if you can find an e8600 as that's even faster single thread performance than the q9650:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...l-Core2-Quad-Q6600/909vs957vs1050vs1045vs1038

Anihel

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
Your motherboard shoud be able to take in a newer Core 2 Duo or even Core 2 Quad (the Yorkfield 45nm kind) without much issues - I would suggest going for either E8600 if you want to stick to 2 cores or even some of the Q95XX, for some more demanding workloads (up to 1333MhZ FSB).
That said, I would recommend checking if the PSU is up for the replacement (did a replacement where there was a stupid cheap A$$ FSP "450W" PSU that fried the motherboard when I replaced the Pentium E5700 just with a C2D E8600 with the same TDP) since the Quad Core tends to draw more power (rated mostly at 95W for the Quads vs 65W of the Duos).

Personally I would still probably go for Q9xxx if my PSU could handle it since nowadays many applications and even games can benefit from more than 2 cores.

Solution
Jan 27, 2021
You misunderstand, I think. The motherboard is important because (especially with those old lga775 boards) it determines exactly which cpu it will and will not accept.

You have an intel DG33FB (G33 chipset), which means it can socket Intel Xeon, core2 duo, core2 quad, Pentium and Celeron dual core cpus.

For a full list, scroll down to G33 chipset and follow the DG33FB link HERE.

Whether you can actually find the exact cpu you want, vrs what's actually available and budget affordable is a different story
thanks for the info will shoot for multi core and start my search

Jan 27, 2021

Personally I would still probably go for Q9xxx if my PSU could handle it since nowadays many applications and even games can benefit from more than 2 cores.
thanks for the response and will start looking for the right one