Intel Core 2 Quad 3 GHz in a Dell OptiPlex 780

jessekp1010

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I would like to upgrade my existing machine, for light to medium gaming and video editing. I have my plan in place, except for the Processor. I was wondering:
1. Could I use this Processor in my OptiPlex 780?
2. Would I have to get a different heat sink?
3. Would this change my ability to add 8 or 16 GB RAM in my machine?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Per the Tech Guide Book, the Optiplex 780 Small Form Factor (SFF) will accept the Intel Core2Quad Q9650.
Not sure if the Optiplex 780s with the C2Q 9xxx series processors came with a different cooler than any other, so I can't say if the original cooler will be sufficient.
It will not change the amount of RAM you can have installed (max 4x2GB or 8GB total).

Note: 32-bit operating systems can address only a maximum of 4GB address space, regardless of how much RAM you have installed.

-Wolf sends

jessekp1010

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

Yes, the Q9650. I have the SFF Model.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Per the Tech Guide Book, the Optiplex 780 Small Form Factor (SFF) will accept the Intel Core2Quad Q9650.
Not sure if the Optiplex 780s with the C2Q 9xxx series processors came with a different cooler than any other, so I can't say if the original cooler will be sufficient.
It will not change the amount of RAM you can have installed (max 4x2GB or 8GB total).

Note: 32-bit operating systems can address only a maximum of 4GB address space, regardless of how much RAM you have installed.

-Wolf sends

Solution