Intel Core architecture vs future AMD K8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
AMD has not released AM2 yet because they are going to release it with DDR3.

yeah i dont think so, and even so the diffrence wont be huge - the architecture like the P4 was insufficent not the ram, if you gave a Pentium 1 4gb of DDR3 ar 1600mhz what would happen? NOTHING.

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
the k8L will be coming in Q2 2007,and it will feature:

1) Hypertransport 3.0
2)extensions to amd 64
3)DDR3 suport
4)Scalable SMP (next-gen directconnect)

and lots of other perfomance boosting stuff like 4 cores.

note: 4 core cpus will be able to replace GPU's,as one core will be dedicated to graphics, and there'll also be dedicated ram, as a place to store graphics (like GPu's memory)

Sharing some thoughts about this thread...the GHz war is over, IMO >2.6GHz is wasted in the mobo I/O...Intel was first to the market with a number of things but AMD is the better competitor, seems to me that AMD always waits until Intel shows their hand then one-ups them, there are multiple examples of this...AMD is the smarter company in that it understand the market better as well as the weaknesses of core architecture and has made significant improvements with the on die mem controller, HT, simultaneous 32/64 bit, and extending the life cycle of DDR...AMD will realize another significant performance improvement when they integrate Rambus ZRAM with their core, then pair it up with DDR2 or DDR3...Intel needed a new architecture (Conroe) in order to remain competitive, 2005 saw a Intel adopting new paradigm with their processor and marketing philosophy, proof that they knew they were lagging, Conroe will not save Intel or trump AMD, it will only put Intel back in the game...Quad core is a waste for the majority of users, software is greatly unoptimized, for 90% of users a fast single core is more than enough, aside from server apps, what good will a quad core be to the average websurfer, IM'er, and email forwarder/attacher...ultimately, we as the comsumer are going to win with being able to choose the best proc with the best cost per watt, best cost per performance, and best cost per GHz...

Actually, I'm wondering what Motorola is going to do now that Macs are running Intel...what might the future be for the power processor?

the k8L will be coming in Q2 2007,and it will feature:

1) Hypertransport 3.0
2)extensions to amd 64
3)DDR3 suport
4)Scalable SMP (next-gen directconnect)

and lots of other perfomance boosting stuff like 4 cores.

note: 4 core cpus will be able to replace GPU's,as one core will be dedicated to graphics, and there'll also be dedicated ram, as a place to store graphics (like GPu's memory)

its there core its self thats lacking vs'ing a conroe NOT FSB(htt), memory bandwidth and cores, cause conroe doesnt have any of them and its quicker then A64's and the new AM2's.

DONT YOU THINK INTEL WOULD ALSO HAVE SOMETHING BY THEN ASWELL ANYHOW? THEY WILL HAVE CSI AND IMC'S TO COMPETE BY THEN NOT JUST A SINGLE SIDED AMD BS STORY.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
In the desktop space CSI/Hypertransport give nobody the advantage.
These are technologies designed for multi socket systems, i.e work stations and servers.
While intel is still trying to market Itanium Conroe/Woodcrest will not get a decent Bus architecture as that will start stepping on Itaniums toes and HP will be very pissed off (probably Intels biggest customer in the server space).
Until AMD bring out a new core (not talking new MC and socket), yes they will loose the performance race compared to Conroe (unless the benchmarks were truly fake). With the current A64 core the only option AMD has is to ramp up clock speed (just like intel had to do with the P4).
65nm will help here (reversal of fortunes/fanboy arguments).
Looking at the current AMD roadmap for desktop processors (i.e 5400+ being the last CPU in 2007, excluding the FX line). They will need to speed up any advancements they have in the pipeline.
In the server space I can see them winning with 4 or more cores per socket, but at the expense of the top end desktop line.

Interesting times ahead