News Intel Core i5-14400 vs AMD Ryzen 5 7600X Faceoff: AMD Delivers a Value Beatdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I might agree with you if the 14400 was actually RPL, but it's not it's ADL which means it's a 12th Gen CPU with a 14th Gen name, and Tom's sure better know that given that they're a technical outlet giving consumer advice.
Is this like the 14nm +++++++?
Intel is the one who gave it the 14400 SKU number. meaning current generation mid-range.
It is what they offer for this generation.
It is not Toms Hardware's fault.

Is this like the 14nm +++++++?
Intel is the one who gave it the 14400 SKU number. meaning current generation mid-range.
It is what they offer for this generation.
It is not Toms Hardware's fault.
So what you're saying is Tom's is right to make a poor comparison article that doesn't make sense or help anyone because Intel decided to rebadge things?

You're as welcome to your opinion as I am to think it is stupid.

Testing on a custom platform isn't indicative of OEM performance so it doesn't help someone pick there. 12th Gen retail CPUs are still shipping so it's not like there's a pending availability problem. The article doesn't even bother to explain that the 14400 isn't a RPL part and in fact calls it one. The article even mentions market positioning based on MSRP, but then goes on to explain they're basing it on pricing not market position. This article is bad on top of being useless and it shouldn't be defended.

Reactions: rluker5

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
The 14400 is just a locked, lower clocked 12600kf with an igpu and $10 cooler.
It's a little more different than that. The 600 is a faster CPU in it's own right. Two generations of polishing have maybe added some extra oomph and efficiency to the 400 but it's still a step behind it's Alder sibling.
Spending $100 more (after sales tax) just to have a higher number, lower clocks and a cooler you won't use is not a solid choice.
No, it is not. Maybe there is a use case where the 14400 is ideal but all alternatives have to be considered.

Also the cooler itself. Why not use the cooler? It works, it cools, and aside highest performance or gaming scenarios, there is no penalty compared to aftermarket coolers.
If you want top tier 1440p or higher gaming performance, you would lose a little bit running a stock cooler but i'm not sure how much.
I'm sure i'd rather have a Peerless Assassin or Phantom Spirit EVO because the extra cost is only $30-50.

But you have to add that extra cost to any K series CPU, and you really have to think twice about the meagre savings and risk when buying a F series CPU.

I agree with you though. The 12600K is faster (very slightly) and some $70 cheaper, so even with a cooler upgrade it's still cheaper overall.
All i wanted to say was that 14400 is a good chip, but is it the right one?
That $100 could take you from a 7600XT to 7700XT GPU, save $30 on top of that and you would still have better CPU performance with the 12600kf.
With the 7600x you would have to drop from DDR5 to DDR4 to have enough money left over to upgrade your GPU from a 76000XT to a 7700XT. But that is an option.
Agreed on both points. And DDR4 is very fast, trouble free, and reasonably cheap. You can also get 96Gb or 128Gb more easily than DD5, for what it's worth.

I find these types of reviews a dead end.

I want to compare the CPU cost. As long as the cost is close, I don't care.
Costs change, esp. as new products emerge to push the old out. Or as cutting edge tech matures and comes down in price, like DDR5 for example.
I want to know how long it takes to get work done, how long will I need to wait, or how long other stuff waits.
Well benchmarks kind of exist for this reason. But the reason they're limited is that there's too many specific workloads.
I think you'd learn more by asking people who have experience with work similar to yours or gaming needs similar to yours. They can tell you if stuff moves quickly or if it lags, or how long renders or whatever take.

Most of the basic stuff happens very quickly, unless you have an extremly budget build/laptop.
I want to know how much the power requirements are going to affect my utility bill. If I 'm not going to notice the watt difference on my utility bill, I don't care.
You have three choices:
run HWMonitor to see how much power your PC uses.
measure power use at the wall
use a higher efficiency power supply. The higher the efficiency, the more accurate the PSUs power draw.

On the other hand, you're just going to pay the bill no matter what, unless you have some extreme use case or weird problem.
Because most PCs just don't use absurd amounts of electricity.
I run a lot of dockers.
I run a lot of browser tabs.
I occasionally run productivity apps.
Sounds very average. You're 100% justified in looking at the price of a CPU, just make sure it's not a real turd. Read reviews.
As mentioned above the 12600K is one of the cheaper CPUs and it's ... kinda great.
So what you're saying is Tom's is right to make a poor comparison article that doesn't make sense or help anyone because Intel decided to rebadge things?
It's par for the course.

It's a little more different than that. The 600 is a faster CPU in it's own right. Two generations of polishing have maybe added some extra oomph and efficiency to the 400 but it's still a step behind it's Alder sibling.
Nope it's either literally the same die as there haven't been new steppings and they're still producing 12600K/KF, or it's a RPL die limited to the same configuration as ADL (you can find this information on Intel's Ark site).

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Nope it's either literally the same die as there haven't been new steppings and they're still producing 12600K/KF, or it's a RPL die limited to the same configuration as ADL (you can find this information on Intel's Ark site).
So it's literally one of the two?
Ok. The performance numbers or spec is different. Not to mention the price.

For the faster clock and lower price, the 12600K is the better deal for sure.

So it's literally one of the two?
Ok. The performance numbers or spec is different. Not to mention the price.
Yeah the 14400 uses the ADL C0 stepping (this is what the 12600K/KF and below SKUs with E-cores use) or the RPL B0 stepping (this is what 13600K/14600 and above SKUs use) limited in some fashion to the same cache configuration as ADL. So the only effective difference with the 14400 is that it's a different bin of the same thing.

Reactions: 35below0

TRENDING THREADS