Intel Core I5-3570k @ Stock Clock Temps?

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Hello, I have just purchased and installed a Corsair H100i and i was wandering if a 66C max temp (measured in HWMonitor) with prime95 running for 10-15 minutes is normal? This was with the fans set to quiet and a fairly large abstruction in the top of the case (strip of metal inbetween the chasers top 200mm fan mounts). the chaser mki is in its stock fan configuration with its fan controller set to low and the h100i in pull

Solution
Hi,
The short story is you are EXACTLY where you should be. I got the same in Prime95.

More:
The max rating for that CPU is 105degC I believe, and going over 60degC is not only perfectly safe but NORMAL so St0rm_kill3R is misinformed completely.

I have one of the best coolers (Noctua NH-D14) which should be roughly similar to your cooler, and get the following temps:

a) 28degC (idle in a cool room)

b) 40degC+ (under LOAD in games etc)

c) 66degC (Prime95 stress test)

If I OVERCLOCK the CPU then the Intel Power Management doesn't work properly and at 4.5GHz the temperature goes as high as 90degC (though it still works and it's way higher than it would be in a game). Since very, very few games benefit from an i5-3570K overclocked...

St0rm_KILL3r

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Cpus going over 60-62 degree C even under full load is not safe. Reapply the thermal paste and then install your cooler (h100i).
Hopefully you will get a lot better temps. Don't let it go over 60 degree C this time, just to be safe.

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
that would be impossible to reach even with the stock cooler (70's celcius) and if it wasnt safe intel wouldnt let it hit that... but besides that point i was asking if this was NORMAL for this cooler in the configuration that it is in

Hi,
The short story is you are EXACTLY where you should be. I got the same in Prime95.

More:
The max rating for that CPU is 105degC I believe, and going over 60degC is not only perfectly safe but NORMAL so St0rm_kill3R is misinformed completely.

I have one of the best coolers (Noctua NH-D14) which should be roughly similar to your cooler, and get the following temps:

a) 28degC (idle in a cool room)

b) 40degC+ (under LOAD in games etc)

c) 66degC (Prime95 stress test)

If I OVERCLOCK the CPU then the Intel Power Management doesn't work properly and at 4.5GHz the temperature goes as high as 90degC (though it still works and it's way higher than it would be in a game). Since very, very few games benefit from an i5-3570K overclocked beyond 4GHz I go to the max frequency that allows me to keep the CPU as cool as possible. So...

I use 4.2GHz and can achieve that by this method:
1) click "XMP" to optimized defaults (thus Intel Power Management keeps power/heat reduced)
2) change to Manual, then set each core Multiplier to "40" (start low to test then raise. I got 42 but not 43. Your motherboard will have some affect on this as will how good your CPU is.).
3) verify DDR3 settings are correct (i.e. 1600MHz not 1333MHz if you're rated at 1600MHz). Manually correct if need be but preferably done automatically.
4) run both MEMTEST and Prime95 (Intel also has a diagnostic tool). www.memtest.org

Solution

gamerguy319

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
i intend on overclocking to 4.5 but to do this i will keep power saving features on and oc the turbo multipliers. i will go about overclocking 100mhz at a time and when voltage is needed ill add0.05v with a prime95 run after eack change to help detect any instability. i also beleve that i would be doing better if a metal strip wasnt partially covering a fan

St0rm_KILL3r

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Oh well, But I've read in many forums that over 62 degree C is not safe even on intel cpus. But you maybe right.