Intel Core i5-8400 Review: Six Cores On A Budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Eh, I really don't think either of those points truly address his concerns. In those charts, you only add price adjustments for:
a) overclocked platforms that require a premium chipset mobo
b) platforms that don't come with a stock cooler
On paper, neither of those things apply to the 8400, so the platform cost listed for the 8400 the same as the CPU cost. In reality, the 8400 does require a premium chipset, simply because that's all that's available right now. Additionally, all the performance data you have for the 8400 is with a high end liquid cooler, but in the perf/dollar analysis you assume you're using a stock cooler. Given the wide gap between base and boost clocks, and the fact that the CPU must exceed TDP (and therefore possibly the capabilities of the stock cooler), it's entirely possible that the 8400 would perform worse than you give it credit for.

gjbaker003

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
So to get this straight, if you can find a i5 8400 the price will most likely be near the Ryzen 1600 range - plus you would have to buy an expensive overclocking Z motherboard for a chip that does not overclock?

It's a great time to be a PC builder with AMD finally competing with Intel again, but it seems as though the mid-range budget builder is suffering quite a bit due to limited supplies of Coffe Lake chips/no B or H motherboards and AMD/1060 GPUs being bought up by miners.

To be fair, it seems par for the course these days. When was the last major CPU/GPU release that was widely available, in quantity, at MSRP during launch month? Not Pascal, or Vega, or Polaris, or Coffee Lake, or Skylake, or Ryzen etc. And not counting Kaby Lake of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.