[SOLVED] Intel Core i5 9600K Shutdowns

Dec 21, 2019
So slightly more than a week ago my computer was experiencing some major problems, it was being incapable of being booted up and every attempt at it, it would immediately shut down (I don’t know how useful this is, but I feel it might be)

The issue was discovered to be with both the processor and the motherboard, which was weird because my processor was a pretty nice Intel i7, don’t remember the series precisely, but it wasn’t that old.

So recently I exchanged both, currently my processor is an Intel Core i5 9600k, but I’m having some oddities with it that I’m really concerned about, currently doing absolutely no work it’s temperature is around 45-50 degrees Celsius and I’ve seen it spike to 100 degrees Celsius playing some quite not high-end games.
However the oddest part for me it’s that my PC has been having this problem with shutting down while running games for some time, I’ve changed both GPU and CPU in a matter of 8 months and the problem still exists and happened today which lead to me being concerned with the CPU and temperature to make some tests.

I feel there is something wrong with another part of the PC, but from what I can tell and somewhat be sure, my computer has been shutting down because of CPU heat, which is strange because before I changed CPU and even fans it had a the SAME issue.

My current idea is to check to if there is enough thermal paste and change to one of my bigger coolers, but since the problem has been persistent across a few builds, I like to hear from people who might know from a similar problem.

Sidenote: I live on a very hot place, but even with air conditioning has done little to help

Dec 21, 2019
what the case? cooler? case fan setup?
Sorry, I'm quite unaccustommed to giving specs, I quite illetarate when it comes to that.
The case is an MS800 Plus, I my current CPU cooler is an E97379-001, the Case Fan Setup seems pretty standard and the fans to be spinning without making too much noise.
I also use a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660, my power supply is a CX 750M and the motherboard is a Gigabyte one which was compatible with the processor.

Dec 21, 2019
So you saying the fan just isn't enough for the CPU? That's actually really weird , because it came with the CPU (I mean they wouldn't do that...Would they?), I do have a better cooler just need to go buy some thermal paste tomorrow and I guess I will try to solve the issue.

Thank you very much for your help

Bobbysix

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
The 9600K does not come with a stock cooler - did you buy as a complete build? Are you running an overclock on your CPU? If so what GHz and voltage?

Dec 21, 2019
I didn't bought it as complete build but I had someone buy the CPU and assemble the parts, since they were already going to test the computer parts for afformention problems and lived near store which sold the CPU.

It could be that the store unknowningly packaged them together. But it beats me, they were supposed to be a PC store, I will enter in contact with the one who assembled the PC and sort things out.

Hopefully the CPU wasn't damaged too much

Bobbysix

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
I didn't bought it as complete build but I had someone buy the CPU and assemble the parts, since they were already going to test the computer parts for afformention problems and lived near store which sold the CPU.

It could be that the store unknowningly packaged them together. But it beats me, they were supposed to be a PC store, I will enter in contact with the one who assembled the PC and sort things out.

Hopefully the CPU wasn't damaged too much
It is unlikely that the CPU was damaged because of the thermal protection that motherboards have. A stock 9600K (not overclocked) should not get that hot. If it is overclocked with an insufficient cooler then it will.

Reactions: tmsantanna
Dec 21, 2019
It is unlikely that the CPU was damaged because of the thermal protection that motherboards have. A stock 9600K (not overclocked) should not get that hot. If it is overclocked with an insufficient cooler then it will.

Oh good, very glad to hear that. I never overclocked CPU

I also went over the receipts from the CPU and Motherboard, and I don't see the fan, the guy might just have made a mistake, though I don't fully undestand why he would put the weaker fan when he did have my big Cooler