Intel Core i5, i7 Haswell Processors to be Released in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

xurwin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
nice! new socket. there goes my investment on past sockets. damn :| why cant they just stick to one socket for even 3years. but well its good to know they're moving up. Good job intel! now just benchmarks and price then we can decide!

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]xurwin[/nom]nice! new socket. there goes my investment on past sockets. damn :| why cant they just stick to one socket for even 3years. but well its good to know they're moving up. Good job intel! now just benchmarks and price then we can decide![/citation]

Suck on the teet of our great leader, no matter how much respect anyone has for AMD when push comes to shove Intel robs the market from under them because you will fork over the cash for the best if the gap is large enough, business 101. And I love AMD....::cries a single tear::

yay for a road map!
Obviously, due to the mobile focus of this gen I am not expecting much in the way of a performance increase (other than onboard GPU), but I wonder what the chipsets will bring. Will we finally see thunderbolt/lightpeak become standard fair? Will we see continued improvement with onboard RAID controller? make USB3 standard and remove legacy USB connections? The final death of legacy ports like the COM and Parallel parts? The inclusion of integrated wifi 11n or 11ac (intel did all that working making wifi work on the Atom die... surely they could bring that to a mobo)?

If the chipsets do not have much new to offer, then I am afraid that everyone from the oldest iSeries on will have no real reason to upgrade.

yeungl

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no 8 core???...are they going backwards?[/citation]

I remember Intel said, no need for faster CPU, because there is no competition.

The list is only the first release of Haswell chips, it does not include Ivy Bridge E series chips on it.
First will be the mobile and desktop i5 and i7 lineup, followed by the i3 and IB-E lineup, followed by the Celeron and Pentium lineup, followed by the ultra low power lineup when they perfect the manufacturing process. Expect 2-3 months between each line release.

Also, Intel reserves 8 core products for the Xenon line of processors so that people have a justification to spend $2000+ on a chip.

And honestly, you don't need an 8 core in your game rig, or even home production rig, quad+HT has a few years left on it. When there was talk of 8 core x86 CPUs in the upcoming consoles it gave me hope that it would create a demand for 8 core desktop CPUs... but now even those look like they are going to be 2 module quad core chips... so ya... there goes that dream.

[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]...I just noticed the TDP was increased slightly. I thought these were more efficient.[/citation]
They can still be more efficient. There's just more performance there, especially on the iGPU side.

With the first Haswell CPUs launching in June, and the desktop Haswell Core i3s and Pentiums launching in Q3, it looks like the gap between the launch of the first CPUs and the Core i3s and Pentiums will be shorter than for Ivy Bridge (Core i5s and i7 launched in April 2012, Core i3s and Pentiums in September 2012).

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Gonna sit on my Phenom II x4 955 for a while longer. About the only real thing driving would be more
power for Handbrake. Its fine as a gaming rig with my current card. No point in updating CPU for minor speed on my AM3 mobo.

I was thinking about building around a 3570 in my next machine for more power and efficiency. We will see what happens to the prices. I have been trying to be loyal to AMD, past machines were/are: Am486 DX4-120, Dual Pentium 300s. Athlon 64, Phenom II x4 955.

[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]aww man.. and i just bought the 3770k in december... great now i have to settle for the 4770k LOL ^_^[/citation]

As long as you fork out money for a new motherboard as well, the new chips use a new socket.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Intel has apparently given up on the desktop market, they've already said the "future" is all tablets and voice commands.

Maybe they're giving AMD a chance to catch up?

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
[citation][nom]Non-Euclidean[/nom]Gonna sit on my Phenom II x4 955 for a while longer. About the only real thing driving would be morepower for Handbrake. Its fine as a gaming rig with my current card. No point in updating CPU for minor speed on my AM3 mobo.I was thinking about building around a 3570 in my next machine for more power and efficiency. We will see what happens to the prices. I have been trying to be loyal to AMD, past machines were/are: Am486 DX4-120, Dual Pentium 300s. Athlon 64, Phenom II x4 955.[/citation]

If I were you I'd either stick with Ivy/Sandy E or wait for a bigger upgrade, doesn't look like that large of a step up. We'll have to wait for bench marks to make a final, educated decision though

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]manicmike[/nom]If I were you I'd either stick with Ivy/Sandy E or wait for a bigger upgrade, doesn't look like that large of a step up. We'll have to wait for bench marks to make a final, educated decision though[/citation]

Yeah, the article on comparative CPU performance and power showed me where I now sit. Another incremental improvement to desktops CPUs this june, should drive down prices for the 3570K cpu/MB combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.