Intel Core i7-4771 Quad-Core CPU Available for Pre-Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

speaker1234

Honorable
May 3, 2012
After checking the specs according to the source website there are a few differences, including:

Thermal Monitoring Technology
Anti-Theft Technology
Trusted Execution Technology
vPro Technology

What do these actually do? Your guess is as good as mine. :)

speaker1234

Honorable
May 3, 2012
After checking the specs according to the source website there are a few differences, including:

Thermal Monitoring Technology
Anti-Theft Technology
Trusted Execution Technology
vPro Technology

What do these actually do? Your guess is as good as mine. :)

The 4771 is the same as the 4770 except for the speed. The 4770 is 3.4 while the 4771/4770k is 3.5 though they all have the same turbo speeds. Some people were saying it's replacing the 4770 but the roadmap shows them side by side and with the price difference, it doesn't make sense.

Thermal Monitoring Technology does just what it says. It monitors the thermals of the CPU. It basically keeps the CPU at or below its maximum TDP. Not sure if this is truly a separate feature than what's already in other Intel CPUs (such as SpeedStep or the C states).

The Anti-Theft is pretty neat. It allows you to send a code that you have created to kill the system if it is stolen. Keeps sensitive data from the bad peoples hands.

TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) is pretty much another level of security much like Secure Boot. It allows the system to only boot in trusted mode with a trusted OS.

And as for vPro, its been around for a while and some of Intels desktop models have it (normally DT Xeons or higher end models). Its a hardware level security and management system. It has the ability to allow for a admin to remote into the system on a hardware level instead of a software level. Its pretty neat stuff and I have always wanted to try it.

This CPU is pretty much best in a business environment more than a home desktop PC.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
It's what the 4770 should have been. The 4770 (non-K) never made sense. Why give up 100 MHz in addition to the unlocked multiplier? If you're not going to overclock, you want the highest stock frequency possible...

Also don't forget that in addition to missing VTx support, the K models lack TSX/Transactional memory support, a feature that can be used to improve multi-threaded performance. This may become an issue in the future.

Annoying how Intel cripple their processors like this just so they can make a few extra bucks.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Is this the NSA version of the 4770k?

I don't trust anything marketed as trusted. Sounds like it might not run some, if not any version of Linux. To be a trusted OS it probably has to have a government approved back door.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

The 100mhz difference on base clock makes no difference unless you actually manage to push the processor to it's TDP.. The only thing the i7 4770 really gives up compared to the i7 4771, is a chunk of it's price.

VTx, TXT and vPro aren't important features for 99% of home users, so it's really not a big deal that they're missing on the i7 4770K.

But the k does have thermal monitoring and at.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

No one would care if you were still happy with your abacus, let alone an older chip set. Your statement is completely vacuous and without substance. You don't think the 10% or more clock for clock performance increase is worth the couple hundred dollars it would cost to upgrade. Fine. The same argument could be made no matter what era chip set you owned. No one cares about your completely subjective opinion based solely on how much a dollar is worth to you. That is except for the rest of the people like you who are bothered by not having the best. They love it. The rest of us though, we could do without your need for self validation.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
So basically if they're priced about the same, why wouldn't anyone get this over the 4770k, even for gaming? Better security is good for home use too.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I can't believe how many people missed the omission of letter K in the model name... It's clearly the same as past generations where you get VT-x and some other features at the cost of locked multiplier.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

10% more clock for clock......but what happens when the 2600k is running at 4.8ghz and the 4770k at only 4.2? Its a factor you know............

Status
Not open for further replies.