Intel core i7 4790k and GTX 770 power consumption?

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
I have an Intel core i7 4790k and just got my Geforce GTX 770 2gb in the mail today (I had bought off of Ebay only had been used for a week or two brand new out of a system amazing condition) anyways I am currently running it on my EVGA 500W 80+ Certified PSU. I know it recommends 600W on the NVIDIA site but they always recommend higher then needed. I haven't tried out any games or anything yet just have been on YouTube and such cause I don't know how much watts it takes. My full partslist is: Intel core i7 4790k @4.0GHz, ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard, Western Digital 1tb 7.2k hard drive, 4gb DDR3 Ripjaws X ram (I am getting 4gb more but most likely after getting a new PSU since ram is like $20) but I am wondering if I could play games like Arma 2, Minecraft, League of Legends, etc without my computer shutting down not being able to handle it which obviously I would not use it anymore if that happened. If this would last for a month or so until I could get a new PSU or if it would last longer just because I don't want to have only a month until it goes. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
It would be fine.
Sounds like a plan! :)
It is by no means an unusable PSU, it is decent enough, but under higher loads the ripple gets very high, meaning it will become unstable, which isn't a great thing! ^.^
Just don't stress test your build on purpose and use it normally until you get your new PSU, and you'll be golden.
the i7 ~100 watt max load, GTX 770 ~230watt load, everything else up to ~100watt = less than 450 watt load.
the above are max under synthetic loads, so you can expect real draw during gaming to be well below 400watts.
I'm not sure what is the exact model of your PSU, but they are rated up to 480watt on 12v.
that should be fine.
When you have a chance, you can upgrade the PSU to something like EVGA G2/P2 series or Corsair RMX (RM550x/RM650x/RM750x) they all are very high quality and can be found under 100$

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Well thank you guys for your help. I am returning to school and after putting all my hard worked money towards my PC I still am short of two parts which is 4gb more ram and a better PSU but I mean I am not going to be doing crazy intensive stuff like cinebench and stuff like that I am just gonna be gaming on it. So you think the EVGA 500W 80+ PSU would be good enough for maybe 1-2 months? Most likely after a month with chore money and money from my little business (Lawn mowing trying desperately to get lawns to cut before it becomes fall and winter even though I shovel snow in the winter) and get the money for a new PSU and 4gb more ram then if I have a little extra spending money get an aftermarket cooler to OC) anyways so it will last a safely amount of time in order for me to get a new PSU right?

It would be fine.
Sounds like a plan! :)
It is by no means an unusable PSU, it is decent enough, but under higher loads the ripple gets very high, meaning it will become unstable, which isn't a great thing! ^.^
Just don't stress test your build on purpose and use it normally until you get your new PSU, and you'll be golden.

Solution

AceIccey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

Sweet, Could you recomend me a good PSU for about $100-$120 CAD? I honestly am decently good with choosing a PSU but I just want someone to tell me a good one who knows more about PSU's then me.