Intel Core i7-4790K (devils Canyon) or Regular Intel Core i7-4790

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
As far as i know the difference between them is 0.5GHz (4.0GHz - 3.5GHz)
As far as the money goes, yes i can afford 4790k but is it worth it. I would like to overclock it too but i firstly dont know how to do that, and secondly i just have Corshair Hydro Series H60 and also only 2 fans pulling and blowing the air (not counting the CPU cooler fans and GPU).
I will get more fans later. So do i really need 4790k?
Answer appreciated very much.

here is my planed build(scroll down a bit to see the parts)
https://www.komplett.no/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=1413685&su=708DB351-EBF2-4FB1-B17F-B43F67A5ED29

Solution
You can only overclock the k-series CPUs. All the other things can be rectified. The Corsair H60 will permit some overclocking. Watch your temps and notification of Thermal throttling.

SO in summary, you will get 14% better performance plus the option to overclock in the future if you buy the Devils Canyon.
You can only overclock the k-series CPUs. All the other things can be rectified. The Corsair H60 will permit some overclocking. Watch your temps and notification of Thermal throttling.

SO in summary, you will get 14% better performance plus the option to overclock in the future if you buy the Devils Canyon.

Solution

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

Sounds great, plus its not that much more expensive than regular.

Vitric9

Distinguished
I am trying to convince myself that I need another K series Intel CPU and a Z97 Motherboard,..it is hard though considering just how fast the i7 4790 is anyway and quite a few MB Vendors are charging way to much for the "mainstream" Z97 series.. Sure It would be great to get that i7 4790K up to 5GHz but you would need the very best sample and Big case to hold that big radiator and all the fans just to keep it from setting on fire.. I may overstated the OC really 4.7,4.8 would be great. In actual reality an i7 4790 is going to be one of the fastest Quad core CPUs for a 1-2 years, Plus you could gte a really nice M-ATX H97 MB a nice small Case..... Just a thought.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

Wait...Do i need Z79 series motherboard? I am planing on ASUS Z87-A, Socket-1150. Will it work? And i am not thinking of overclocking it yet. I mean this will be my first custom build.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

How do i do that?
I mean i never built PC. Can i turn my pc on without Processor in it?

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

The H60 should be able to do some overclocking. I would get a Z97 board regardless... they around the same price as their Z87 counterparts or even in cheaper than a couple of months ago compared to Z87 boards. The price is pretty similar compared to the two so you had might as well get the "K" version instead of wishing later that you had.

Is this a completely new build or an upgrade from a Z87 board? If it is an upgrade, most Z87 boards can use the 4790k with a BIOS update.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

This will be my first custom PC build ever. Here is the list of planed components. (Just scroll a bit down and you will see the list)
https://www.komplett.no/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=1413685&su=708DB351-EBF2-4FB1-B17F-B43F67A5ED29
I can defenently not go over that price as i am working hard at my summerjob and my parents arent exactly the most supportive towards gaming in general.

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
If you are going to be generally gaming with it, I would go with an i5 - 4690k. Use the difference in money to get a better power supply such as the AX or RM series of Corsair PSUs. The CX series will do the job but they are more suited for basic builds such as workstations. You can always switch out the CPU later in life if you have the need for something more powerful like the i7 if you want to do video rendering, editing, and such. However, you do not want to skimp on your PSU... this can lead to a whole host of problems. Your PSU is one of the most important piece of equipment in your rig and you want to spend the money accordingly.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

Ok...What exactly MoBo you would recommend. Please use this store and link me. https://www.komplett.no

Vitric9

Distinguished

..Sorry I really don't know where I was going with that comment, But I to plan to get H97 or Z97 MB soon.......
There are The same Haswell architecture and the Haswel refresh and Devil's Canyon are said to be compatible with Intel 8 series chipsets(Z87,h87,81,ect..) Though I have read in some forum that some are having issues with certain z87 motherboards with their i7 4790K. Like the MB will overvolt to 1.5v by default, I am not sure about all the other voltage settings that Most just leave on Auto but i they too are also overvolted their is a chance the CPU could be damaged or at the very least take quite a few years off the CPU lifespan...I think I saw a Video on someone doing a review on their new i7 4790k and something like this came up as well. Just to be safe and minimize the headache of a BIOS update I would go with Z97 for sure. I have a few price oriented Z97 picks i don't have a link but I can just name it: 1. MSI Z97M Gaming(M-ATX) 2. ASUS Z97-PRO. Yeah, there is quite a few more that are in this price range but i have not looked at them yet. The Maximus Hero VII is a bit over priced considering when the z87 Hero VI was about $200 when it launched....H97 is a whole other conversation....

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
You can use the same motherboard even if you go with the i5 - 4690k CPU. It is still supported. You should not need to change anything there. Most z87 boards have been fine with BIOS updates. BIOS updates are really not headaches anymore with how easy and low maintenance they are. If you are overclocking you really should not leave settings at Auto anyways. Great way to have your CPU destroyed.

However, I would still recommend getting a Z97 board as they very similar in price to z87 boards. Here are a couple that are within range of the Asus that you chose.

https://www.komplett.no/msi-z97-g55-sli-socket-1150/815070

https://www.komplett.no/msi-z97-gaming-5-socket-1150/815060

I would recommend the Gaming 5 board. May be a little more expensive but you get some great features such as the Audio Boost, better SLI support, etc. For the most part, any MSI board will do you great. I have been using their boards for years now and have great luck with them all.

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014

I heard that MSI MoBos dont go good together with EVGA products and i am 100% sure i wanna have EVGA GTX 780 and not MSI for some obvious reasons.