[SOLVED] Intel Core i7 5775c Processor Overclocking and Does Nvidia Make RTX Series Bottleneck?

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
Hello friends;

The system I'm using is like this;

Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell-C CPU (3.3Ghz Stock / 3.7Ghz Turbo / 4.1Ghz Overclocking)
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Mainboard
G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8 GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI nVIDIA GTX 1070 Gaming X GPU
Samsung 950 Pro 256gb M.2 V-NAND SSD
2 x Western Digital Blue 4TB HDD
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L CPU Cooler
Xigmatek Tauro G 750W 80+ Gold PSU
Cooler Master MasterBox 5T RGB Case

Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 2560x1080 IPS Monitor.

I'm thinking of getting the Geforce RTX 2070, 2080, 2080TI.
Will there be a bottleneck? Does the card move smoothly in its full performance?

Solution
Your 4c/8t CPU is okay 'right now'. Play a BF V with your CPU, and a Ryzen 2600x/2700x and the difference is noticeable. Feelingfroggy is wrong, that an I7 5775 is the same as a 7th/8th/9th gen Intel CPU is just wrong. They are actually world apart. But I know what he means in general terms. Intel CPU's perform well generally.

You give BFV too much credit my friend. Here is the 7700k and the 9900k with a 2080ti and the 7700k finishes 3 frames behind the 9900k. The 5775c will get about 10-15% fewer frames than the 7700k on most games. To me, a 15% bump in performance is not worth the cost of a new platform. Espeically when 7nm and 10nm AMD and Intel parts will be released later this year...
The 5775C is still a good CPU, I would not rush out to replace it with an RTX card. But the bottleneck you are gonna have is the monitor. If you are gonna get a 2070 or higher, you really should be at 1440p or higher resolution. And when you move up in resolution, the CPU matters even less.

So I would go for an RTX card as long as I also upgrade the monitor. 3440x1440p is an amazing experience if you can afford it.

Yeah, for your existing monitor your current GPU is perfect and plenty. Unless you specifically want RTX abilities and frame rates your monitor can't display anyway (it can't display more than the refresh rate, even though MSI afterburner says you might be hitting 80-90fps or whatever, you don't see those frames on screen).

Good call from feelingfroggy777. A new monitor to show off the RTX2070 would be good. Your CPU is okay to drive either, but maybe with a little bottlenecking on something like BF V at 1080p 75hz for a 2070, But you would hardly notice it.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

For RTX 2060, I guess it's not worth the change. The GTX 1070 can handle me for a year and a half, right? In this resolution and high settings?

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

I don't play Battlefield or other games online. I'm just playing the script as a single player. My goal is to play with a smooth experience without falling below 70 fps. So do not fall below the screen refresh rate of my monitor. I don't think Ray Tracing is frankly. Because it is a new technology and fully deployed and stable, but with the RTX 4000 series. Pure card power is important to me. That's why I think of the RTX 2070.

Yes, totally. It's a great GPU for 1080p up to 144hz, and very decent at 1440p.

Well, 'pure card power' is important of course, but equally so is a capable CPU to drive it, otherwise the pure power is wasted. It's all about balance my friend :)

If I were you, I wouldn't go beyong a 1070/RTX2060 with your CPU. Anything more is a waste of money.

Stick with what you have. There is no reason to change GPU. But you will need a new CPU/Mobo/Ram in about a year if you want to game beyond where you are. For the game you play, you should be fine for a while with what you have.

The 2060 is a good GPU, but I dont think it is a big enough jump to upgrade from a 1070. The 1070 is still a very good card too and it should not have issue running at 70 fps at 1080p. Your ultra wide has a few more pixels, but not too many more.

My advice is to keep what your happy with and upgrade what you are not happy with. If you are currently getting the fps you want in your games, then dont upgrade. If you are not getting the frames you want, then go for an upgrade.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

So what would you recommend if I want to upgrade to the CPU, motherboard and Ram?

I use Autocad, Solid, Photoshop and Lightroom. Render sometimes. Which processor should I switch to as Intel or AMD? First generation Ryzen 1700, 1700x or 1800x is enough? Of course, the system will be able to handle the RTX series in the future.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

Changing the GPU until the RTX 3000 series comes out is then meaningless. Then I should continue to use the existing system at hand and replace it when the 3000-series cards come out.

Some of those programs will scale better to fast single threaded performance and Intel has an edge over AMD core to core. The 9900k is the best main stream Intel CPU on the market, but it is $500. A 9700k may be a good medium as it is a 9900k without hyper threading. Both are really good CPUs, they are just both expensive.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

Is it unreasonable to get a Ryzen processor in this case?

No, AMD's Ryzen CPUs are still very good. They are just not quite as good as the Intel for single threaded performance. But if you are on a budget, then it is hard to pass up a Ryzen CPU. I think the 2600 is one of the best value CPUs on the market and it can do it all (gaming and workstation).

But I would not upgrade your 5775c. I would at least wait till the 3000 series Ryzen CPUs are released this year. Your 5775c is very close to a 6700 and core for core, the 6700 is the same as the 7th, 8th, and 9th gen Intel CPUs.

There just wont be much, if any performance increase going with a AMD CPU with what you currently have to be worth the cost.

Hmmmm. Whilst I agree with feelingfroggy777 for the most part, some of the things he has suggested are either a little vague, or not entirely accurate.

Ill try round it up a little.

Your current system with your GTX1070 is sufficient for a very good gaming experience at the resolution you currently game on. It will last another year or two. The thing that will hold it back in a year or two is the CPU. The GPU for that res is still good.

If you want to stick a higher end card like an RTX2070 or whatever, you will have a slight bottleneck, because of your CPU. To fix that for another 2-3 years, you could go with a base system upgrade. A ryzen 2600x/2700x or Intel 8700k/9700k. The Ryzen upgrade will be cheaper, but the Intel build,(although more expensive, will give higher FPS at 1080p because of faster single core speeds and IPC) So for about $600 you could get a Ryzen build, along with your current GPU/PSU. And for about 700-800 you could get a similarly based Intel system, that will have about an extra 10% FPS at the same resolution.

Your 4c/8t CPU is okay 'right now'. Play a BF V with your CPU, and a Ryzen 2600x/2700x and the difference is noticeable. Feelingfroggy is wrong, that an I7 5775 is the same as a 7th/8th/9th gen Intel CPU is just wrong. They are actually world apart. But I know what he means in general terms. Intel CPU's perform well generally.

If you can tell us clearly, what it is that you want to achieve for your system from a gaming point of view, and other tasks too, and what budget you may be thinking of for an upgrade (one that will last you 2-3 years) and you will be happy with, then I'm sure we can recommend something, that might be suitable.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

Then it will be more accurate to switch after the Ryzen 3000 series exits. My one, a year and a half can go without changing this system.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019

I use Autocad, Solid, Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Sketchup. And I'm getting a render. Although I don't have a problem with the GPU at this time, I would like to increase performance in applications that are installed in the processor cache, such as autocad. It seems that the number of processor cores is much higher, ie the cpu pure power is better.

Some programs receive a render from the GPU while some are render through the CPU. Not every program supports CUDA. For this reason, I thought to make an upgrade this year. And I wanted to get an idea of.

You give BFV too much credit my friend. Here is the 7700k and the 9900k with a 2080ti and the 7700k finishes 3 frames behind the 9900k. The 5775c will get about 10-15% fewer frames than the 7700k on most games. To me, a 15% bump in performance is not worth the cost of a new platform. Espeically when 7nm and 10nm AMD and Intel parts will be released later this year.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/01/13/battlefield_v_nvidia_ray_tracing_i99900k_cpu_testing/

In my opinion, a gaming rig that has a 4770 or better in their machine today, would do better to wait to upgrade the CPU. While it wont give you the most frames, it is still very good.

With that being said, its my opinion and I reserve the right to change my mind any time I want lol. Keith12 knows what he is talking about and I agree with him in most areas. So dont take my opinion as fact.

Solution
That's the good thing about this forum, and the difference of opinion we sometimes have. I think for the most part we are on the same page.

With regard to BF V though, yes, you may be able to hit same/similar FPS as a next gen CPU. However, if you look at even a 7700k, during BF V gameplay you will see nearly all cores/threads maxed out. The reason I mentioned the Ryzen 2600x/2700x (and should have stick in an 8700k/9900k as a reference for Intel ) is that it's not just about max FPS. Game smoothness comes down to having a decent CPU with enough resources so that it doesn't get maxed.

The 5775c has some legs left. I think we can all agree on that. The point being that games will only continue to get more CPU demanding like BF V, so anew CPU an base system will be needed in due course.

TRENDING THREADS