Intel Core i7-5960X, -5930K, And -5820K CPU Review: Haswell-E Rises

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangoj

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Fantastic processor for Vray renderings - I have made my new workstation with i7-5960X.

CPU is overclocked on 4.1Ghz (with water cooling), and temperature never goes over 58°C @ 100% CPU load! IT is really, really fast CPU!!!

Of-course I use network rendering for bigger resolutions, but this CPU is incredible for really fast demo render's....

Liv Duff

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Hmmm... I'm mildly confused. I have an AMD A8-6410 with radeon r5 graphics card, yet my mom's Intel i7 with Nvidia HD graphics card couldn't run hardly any of the games I can play on my computer. I can run Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Sims 3&4 on medium with no problems with overheating and 40-90 fps. Her computer overheats after 5-20 minutes playing Sims 3 and couldn't run Skyrim at all.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
That's nowhere near enough detail for one to be able to work out why the i7 system may be overheating, etc. Which i7? What
cooler? Which GPU? 'HD' doesn't refer to anything specific. Which GPU does your system have? How much RAM in each system?
What OS? Which power supply? These all matter.

Try running 3DMark11, see what each system scores. More importantly, if the other system's cooling is inadequate, you can
hardly expect the system to be running properly if the internal components (CPU/gfx) are forcing themselves to run slow
because of the heat. Deal with the power/heat issues first, make sure the fans are ok and/or the case has a sufficient number
of them, check the CPU has a suitable cooler, make sure the GPU fan is running properly with the correct power links provided.

Are you sure the other system even has its monitor connected to the separate GPU and not any onboard mbd-based
gfx by mistake?

For all that though, it could easily be that the other system simply has an old/slow or low-end NVIDIA card, as there
are plenty of those, just as there are old/slow AMD cards.

And make sure the gfx settings are sensible in NVIDIA Control Panel.

Ian.

Liv Duff

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Sorry, I'm not a computer expert and I wasn't sure how much detail to give. This thread is kinda old and I wasn't really expecting a response, so thanks. ^^ Her laptop is the HP Envy Touchsmart 17-j153cl with Intel i7, 2.4 GHz, 16 GB ram and Intel HD graphics 4600, but I'm not sure what cooler it uses. Both of our laptops have Windows 8 installed. My laptop is an HP with AMD A8-6410 APU and AMD Radeon R5 graphics, 2 GHz, 3.5 GB of ram. I can't find anything about the GPU in my computer but I could be missing it easily. Whoops. I thought hers was NVIDIA but I believe that's what we had to tell a game in order for it to run. That probably makes a huge difference.

I'll try that, since mine is clearly the lesser of these two laptops. Perhaps there's something wrong with her laptop's fans, as it is rather loud and gets too hot just using it to surf the internet. I'm not sure how I would tell if a monitor is connected to a separate GPU, but I'll ask my brother, since he knows a lot more about computers than I do. Thanks a lot for the tips, I really appreciate it. :)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Liv Duff,

A laptop! Heavens, no wonder the speed is slow. I've never been impressed with the naming schemes of either CPUs or gfx
options for laptops, they often used similar brandings to desktop products and yet have nothing to do with them in terms of
performance, no. of CPU cores, RAM capacity, etc.

At the end of the day, Intel HD 4600 is just inherantly slow for gaming (the gfx is done by a module within the main CPU, not
a separate GPU); not much one can do about that. Suffice to say any on-chip gfx from Intel is going to be poor compared to
AMD's options, as AMD have put a lot of effort into making their APUs reasonably respectable in recent years (still nowhere
near desktop GPUs, but not bad at moderate resolutions & detail settings for medium-complexity games).

To get decent performance from a laptop, it really needs to have one of the midrange or better NVIDIA xxxM options, even
an older model, but the problem with those is they're expensive, even 2nd-hand.

Note that if you want a reliable laptop which won't overheat, etc., then get an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad; built like bricks.
They're not aimed at gaming, though some of the upper end later models have Quadro gfx options which probably aren't
too bad. However, for proper laptop gaming, one likely has to think more of an MSI model or somesuch (MSI's current
gaming laptops scale up the range from GP, through GE and GS, to the GT, in increasing order of speed/cost), but I'm not
familiar with which brands and/or product lines are regarded as reliable by the gaming community.

Re your mother's laptop, the fans may well be faulty, they often clog up with dust. An air duster can could help, or a proper
servicing. I do a cleaning service for 35 UKP, but that's normally for SGI computers. :D (for laptops, not practical if you're
outside the UK). Either way, certainly sounds like something is amiss, as it shouldn't be overheating just surfing the net.

Note you can use the free tools called CPU-Z and GPU-Z to obtain detailed CPU/gfx information, download them here (I just
grab the relevant installer exe):

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2452/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-8-1/mirrors

There are lots of other tools aswell, but these are the most commonly used. You can submit a validation from each
of them to create a URL that's useful for giving to other people who ask for system details, or just grab a screenshot
and save it as a gif (I use the free tool MWSnap to take screenshots, download here).

Also, try using HWMonitor (another free app, download here) to see if the systems fans are running as fast as they should be;
crosscheck with manufacturer web site info, web site reviews of the laptop, info posted by other users (Google for example data on
forums sites, etc.), and of course just common sense.

If you want to delve into further details or questions, feel free to PM/email.

Cheers! :)

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.