[SOLVED] Intel Core i7-6700K reaches 100 degrees with no load

askaroth

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I have a problem with my CPU that reaches almost 100 degrees while being idle, even in BIOS, before it boots to the system. The issue appeared after I moved my computer to another location, however it was treated very gently and no physical damage could be made.

My setup:
MB: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 240

What is a bit weird - when the CPU runs at high temperatures for even more than 1 hour, it does not produce any physically noticable heat. Case feels very cool near the CPU, also motherboard and GPU temperatures stay the same, they are even a bit lower.

What I tried:
  • changing thermal paste on CPU
  • checking for proper fan and pump connection
  • reinstalling OS and BIOS

I suspect that my pump is filled with air bubbles, from time to time it produces loud rumbling sounds, however it never affected the temperatures previously. I am also completely sure that cooling is mounted properly.

Do you have any ideas what can cause that problem?

Solution
A bubbling sound sounds like a faulty cooler that might have leaked some fluid.
Possibly, it was aggravated by the move.

Since the cooler may not be still under warranty, it is time to get a replacement.
Jan 20, 2020
I mate. I assume you mean 100 celsius.
I also have the 6700k.
Problem could be that you have auto voltage on in BIOS.
Auto Voltage could be bad and mean that u would get 1.4 voltage sometimes which will generate alot of heat.

Check this video out.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxtKwKuWo80&t=183s

You could simply enter bios, select advance mode, go to AI tweaker and turn on manual mode/adaptive mode and set core voltage to 1.2 (obviously higher if u are overclocking, if needed),

askaroth

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Okay, I solved the problem on my own.

The problem was with the pump. When I disconnected it, the CPU was reaching almost the same temperatures, up to 100 degrees (celsius). I think that the amount of air inside the cooler was so high, that although the pump worked, it wasn't able to move the fluid - it was completely static, so the CPU had no cooling at all.

I just bought a new cooler and all temperatures went back to normal. Thanks for replying ;)